12/19 Kings @ Blackhawks 6:00 WGN/NHLN

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
Again Having Pisani and Johnson in the line up is huge. It allows the D to not take the brunt of everything by having experienced, defensive minded forwards.

Campbell has really stepped up to the plate as well. Which is allowing Q to adjust the time Keith and Seabrook are on the ice.

I will say that officiating crew the last two games was the same. That said it could have been some of the best officiating all year. They let both teams play unless the penalty was blatently obvious like the tripping of Crawford last night.

No penalties on Friday and only two last night.

I agree with most of what you're saying besides the officiating.

There were plenty of calls that could have been made. They decided to keep their whistles in their pockets, which only benefits the Hawks (team speed). The only teams that may be faster would be the Habs/Avs.

R K

I agree with most of what you're saying besides the officiating.

There were plenty of calls that could have been made. They decided to keep their whistles in their pockets, which only benefits the Hawks (team speed). The only teams that may be faster would be the Habs/Avs.

I disagree. The Kings can fly too. They should officiate games like the last two, all the time. Then it would set a standard for each team. Unfortunately they don't. They could have called far more on the Kings last night, because of the team speed, but did not.

It benefited the Kings as they hooked and interfered a TON. But hey since they were not calling it either way, except the blatant, I had no problem with it.

Xhockeygoon10

Liked Posts:
I think the vet/role players are showing their importance. Although not "flashy" or the upside of guys like Morin, Leddy, etc .... what guys like Pisani and Johnson (even Cullimore and Boyton on the blueline) bring is a vet presence. They may not lite it up, but Johnson was good in the faceoffs and in his own zone. Pisani is a guy thats been in some big spots in his career and won't panic and make smart plays with the puck, take good routes when backchecking (this goes unnoticed alot)...and just do the little things right. Those guys dont have to learn the game - just learn their roles and the system.

I think Sharp is good at center - when he has Hossa at his wing (one of the best defensive forwards in the league). Without him, his own zone play suffers. It'll be interesting to see what Q does when he comes back.

Great Post..This line says it all, Those guys (the vet's) don't have to learn the game - just learn their roles and the system.

Sharp has been getting a pass this year because so many fans are hung up on his offensive numbers. With Hossa or without him and I am not a fan of the plus/minus stat, but going from a +24 last year to a -7 is a huge drop off. As a center you're expected to have more defensive responsibilities, whether at center or wing good thing he has scored a lot of goals this year otherwise his +/- would be even worst.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
Everyone's +- is down this year because our team defense and puck possession isn't where it was last year.

R K

Everyone's +- is down this year because our team defense and puck possession isn't where it was last year.

100% dead on. Which is why Pisani and Johnson have made such a huge impact in the last two games. Forwards must play D.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Great Post..This line says it all, Those guys (the vet's) don't have to learn the game - just learn their roles and the system.

Sharp has been getting a pass this year because so many fans are hung up on his offensive numbers. With Hossa or without him and I am not a fan of the plus/minus stat, but going from a +24 last year to a -7 is a huge drop off. As a center you're expected to have more defensive responsibilities, whether at center or wing good thing he has scored a lot of goals this year otherwise his +/- would be even worst.

I have zero problem with Sharp.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
100% dead on. Which is why Pisani and Johnson have made such a huge impact in the last two games. Forwards must play D.

I agree, so it will be interesting to see who will be out with the return of Hossa and Kane. Team chemistry seems to be working now after beating two of the top teams in the west.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:

It was a draw because Westgarth used his brain this time and held Scott close. Not a great fight to watch but what irked me was Westgarth clapping like he accomplished something after NOT getting his ass beat like the first meeting.

I heard that Konroyd mentioned it during a break but shit like that could be seen as showing up your opponent which is a no-no in "the code"... if the score was more out of hand, you would have seen round 2.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My_GEorYnqc[/media]​

It was a draw because Westgarth used his brain this time and held Scott close. Not a great fight to watch but what irked me was Westgarth clapping like he accomplished something after NOT getting his ass beat like the first meeting.

I heard that Konroyd mentioned it during a break but shit like that could be seen as showing up your opponent which is a no-no in "the code"... if the score was more out of hand, you would have seen round 2.

I had no problem with the clapping, it in no way showed up anyone but was just an excitement thing for doing his job and fighting the big man. He was trying to get the team going, it was nothing to do with winning or losing the fight.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:

Right. But people bitch that Pisani, Cullimore, Boynton or Johsnon "suck", because theres nothing fancy to thier game....or they're never going to light it up. But what they do bring - is cap friendly contracts, about 2500 games of experience, and the ability to play key roles at times and eat some minutes where rookies/younger players would struggle.

I remember some saying Pisani was the worse 5 on 5 player or that Boytnton/Cullimore shouldnt step on the ice....yet those 2 have been plus players and have been able to play 12-14min a game. That goes a long way for the top 4 in giving them a breather. It was the demise of Philly's defence in the finals last year.

R K

I have been saying all year the only difference this year than last is we lost defensive forwards that hold puck possession, while being very defensive minded in their own end.

It's certainly not scoring goals or offense as we are ahead of last years pace. It's GA that's our problem.

When you put all the pressure on your D, without helping them from the front back, you'll have problems, give up leads, and lose many one goal games.

Looks like they've figured it out though. We'll see tomorrow.