'13 Draft similar to '08 Draft

Catch22

Liked Posts:
In my opinion, the '13 Draft is similar to the '08 Draft. In the '08 Draft there were a run on RBs early when we had an obvious need for one. Everyone knew we were going to pick a RB in that draft, but no one really knew which one and everyone had a favorite. We ended up picking Forte with our Second Round Pick. Many of us were a little doubtful and wanted a different RB, but Forte turned out to be a great pick anyway.

This reminds me of this years draft. There was a run on offensive linemen early. Everyone knew we needed an offensive lineman, but there wasn't a ton of players we liked when the Bears picked. So when Kyle Long was selected, many of us were shocked and a little angry (myself included). We had little to no information on him, and it seemed like a reach. But hopefully, at the end of the day, this draft class will be similar to the '08 draft. We may end up getting a really good offensive lineman. Not the best of the class, but a great player anyway.

Note: As you can see, I have jumped on the Kyle Long bandwagon

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
Forte was taken in the second round, not the first. Forte was a great college player, Long started 4 games.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't remember that many posters against the Forte pick.

CreepyBasementGuy

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The 'reach' here is your forced comparison :beartroll:

No but seriously, i hope you're right. Would be nice if Long is our guard for 10 years, even more so if he develops into our tackle. But as a Bears fan over these years I'm skeptical of any lineman drafted.

You should have compared the Long pick with the Forte..not the entire '13 draft with the '08 one.

F Rodgers

Liked Posts:
I know once the broncos took Clady and we passed on Brandon albert I was really hoping we got Mendenhall(hometownhero).thats why I'm glad i'm not the Gm

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Forte was taken in the second round, not the first. Forte was a great college player, Long started 4 games.

Kyle long doesn't run the ball out of the backfield... or have to catch the ball... or learn routes...

He learns how to pass block... run block... get out on screens... a lot more simple than being a running back... not easier... but much more simple when it comes to the technique...

I don't understand the whole "I like the pick... just not as a first rounder thing..." ok so he got selected a tad early... but it wont matter because chances are he is going to be a super productive player for us... definitely an upgrade over what we have had the past 10 years at the guard position... and if that means you draft him early to fix something that has been totally broken for the past decade then so be it...

I like the pick a lot... he is by far the most athletic O linemen drafted this year... and he has a very unique skillset... NFL training camp will definitely bring the best out of this guy... especially since he is raw and has no real bad habits yet... cant wait for our new O line coach to mold him into a future Pro bowler...

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Forte was a great pick, both value-wise and for need.

Catch22

Liked Posts:

eeyore6.jpg

Doug Grohlin

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can we stop saying he was picked early? Emery wanted him in the first, other teams were going to take him. To me, that doesn't mean he was picked early.

FoCo

Liked Posts:

Think of it this way. Kyle Long was a failed baseball player who decided to play defensive end only to change to offensive lineman for his final year in college and ended up starting 4 games for the #2 ranked team in the country.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
Just as long as it's not similar to the 07 draft.
1. Greg Olsen
2. Dan Bazuin
3. Garrett Wolfe
3. Michael Okwo
4. Josh Beekman
5. Kevin Payne
5. Corey Graham
7. Trumaine McBride
7. Aaron Brant

Goodness Gracious that was pathetic.

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There were a lot of threads saying Forte would suck back then on the CBMB. Just like every draft with us.

As for Long. Im not sold by any means but i do feel Emery's hand was forced if he felt he was the best available player. The run on olinemen was crazy this year.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1. Greg Olsen
2. Dan Bazuin
3. Garrett Wolfe
3. Michael Okwo
4. Josh Beekman
5. Kevin Payne
5. Corey Graham
7. Trumaine McBride
7. Aaron Brant

That's a bad draft!

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1. Greg Olsen
2. Dan Bazuin
3. Garrett Wolfe
3. Michael Okwo
4. Josh Beekman
5. Kevin Payne
5. Corey Graham
7. Trumaine McBride
7. Aaron Brant

I gotta admit i was a fan of Payne for about 5 minutes

Jake

Liked Posts:
07 draft had Olsen and Graham, 08 draft had Forte, Bennett.

I hope we get at least three of these players on the field this year.

That would make this draft better than each of the 07/08 tries

JaySix

Liked Posts:
Can we stop saying he was picked early? Emery wanted him in the first, other teams were going to take him. To me, that doesn't mean he was picked early.
exactly.

You like the pick or you don't, but if didn't grab him at 20 he would've been gone....

I like the pick and I am not hoping for him to become a OT. I want him to start at OG from day 1 and stay there, successfully.....

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
exactly.

You like the pick or you don't, but if didn't grab him at 20 he would've been gone....

I like the pick and I am not hoping for him to become a OT. I want him to start at OG from day 1 and stay there, successfully.....
I'm really hoping that's the plan and maybe a few years down the road if he's developed enough, then sure why not.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
1. Greg Olsen
2. Dan Bazuin
3. Garrett Wolfe
3. Michael Okwo
4. Josh Beekman
5. Kevin Payne
5. Corey Graham
7. Trumaine McBride
7. Aaron Brant

A great example of trading down. A lot of us were pissed about trading away from Blalock, to get Bauzin.