2014 Draft

ChicagoGr

Liked Posts:
So, this year we got
  • Our own pick,
  • The Bobcats pick(top 10 protected),
  • The Kings pick(top 12 protected)

Not likely but we could possibly end up with 3 mid-round picks in a loaded draft.
Right now, the Bobcats have the 10th worst record so we want them to get a little bit better.
The Kings have the 7th worst record but they have a very talented team and are getting better.

I'll try and keep this thread updated during the rest of the season.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
The Bulls may actually be able to cash these picks in...Sacramento has played pretty well as of late and with Demarcus Cousins becoming a star in this league, Rudy Gay and some other nice young players...The bulls may get lucky and the pick may fall to late in the lottery (13th and 14th) if they can continue to rack up some wins.

The Bobcats pick could also fall in to the middle of the 1st basically due to the Eastern conference being so weak.

If the Bulls can cash in on 3, 1st round picks in this draft with Mirotic coming over as well...This could be a young, exciting basketball team next year.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
I don't think you can rule out having all three picks this year.

The Bobcats pick might come our way this year. There seem to be several teams selling in hopes of tanking, and not the Bulls, so Charlotte might not be able to tank as easily to stay at 10th worst. The Kings have to improve some but again, a number of teams are shedding contracts and aiming lower so if the players they have like Cousins and Gay who know they will be there a while make the effort they could push them past 12.

That said I would hesitate to use all three. At best they might get one player who could work his way into the rotation even more so if Mirotic comes over at the same time. Have we forgotten Thibs doesn't count on new players especially rookies very quickly. Snell is playing more due to need than consistent merit.

The Bulls found themselves in a similar situation with 3 1st round picks in 89, Stacey King, BJ Armstrong an Jeff Sanders. Sanders wasn't that good but there was no playing time for 3 rookies under Jackson. This time I would look at trading the last of the three to a team wanting to get into the first round for an unprotected pick the following year so they could space out the contracts and influx of new players.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
I don't think you can rule out having all three picks this year.

The Bobcats pick might come our way this year. There seem to be several teams selling in hopes of tanking, and not the Bulls, so Charlotte might not be able to tank as easily to stay at 10th worst. The Kings have to improve some but again, a number of teams are shedding contracts and aiming lower so if the players they have like Cousins and Gay who know they will be there a while make the effort they could push them past 12.

That said I would hesitate to use all three. At best they might get one player who could work his way into the rotation even more so if Mirotic comes over at the same time. Have we forgotten Thibs doesn't count on new players especially rookies very quickly. Snell is playing more due to need than consistent merit.

The Bulls found themselves in a similar situation with 3 1st round picks in 89, Stacey King, BJ Armstrong an Jeff Sanders. Sanders wasn't that good but there was no playing time for 3 rookies under Jackson. This time I would look at trading the last of the three to a team wanting to get into the first round for an unprotected pick the following year so they could space out the contracts and influx of new players.

Not sure what the international talent is in this draft, but in a scenario where they have 3, 1st round picks, they could opt to select a guy they can stash overseas for a couple seasons. Bulls still MIGHT be able to get additional 1st round picks for guys like Hinrich or Dunleavy although they might extremely late picks in the 25-30 range from contenders looking to add depth for the playoffs.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
The chances of us claiming the Hornets (they'll be the Hornets by the draft) pick this year are small. IF the Hornets happen to miss the playoffs (which I think they will) they'll still be in the top 10 without a problem just like the rest of the entire eastern conference non-playoff teams...thus the Bulls couldn't claim it this year. IF the Hornets make the playoffs...that'll put the Hornets' pick at around #15. I think the Bulls will wait this one out until 2016 as the Hornets may very well have a higher pick at that point for the Bulls to claim as the rest of the East recovers.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
^theres no calming it...if its outside top 10 its automatically ours

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think if we by some miracle actually get all 3 picks this year, we try to trade all of them to either move up (because 3 picks in 12-20 range doesn't do a ton for our purposes anyway) or include them in a package for some very good player. I'd throw in those useless Portland 2nd rounders too. Try to sell some team with a disgruntled star on 4 draft picks and Carlos Boozer...lol

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
include them in a package for some very good player.l

how about one for Afflalo?

Rose
Afflalo
Butler
Nikola
Noah

maybe not a winner but a really solid team nonethless...i could atleast enjoy the games

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
how about one for Afflalo?

Rose
Afflalo
Butler
Nikola
Noah

probably not a winner but a solid team nonethless...i could atleast enjoy the games
I've been a huge Afflalo plan for years and would love to have him on the team. He doesn't put of over the top, but he'd fit right in with these guys and he could definitely help. Plus he'd come cheaper which means we'd still have assets to try to get another player. I'm not sure if Boozer + one of those 1sts would do it though. Maybe we make it two of the lower ones or add in a second rounder or two to make it look nicer for the Magic.

Then maybe we could sell some other team on whatever picks we have left plus Taj and/or Butler for some very good wing player and end up with Rose, Afflalo, someone better than Butler, Mirotic, and Noah at some point next year or the year after. That could be potentially at least as good as we were a couple years ago. Not sure if any of that would actually work salary wise though.

BIGGIEsmalls 23

Liked Posts:
I was under the impression we had the option to wait. My bad on that.
I'm gonna check on this. Not saying Poohdini is wrong, but I was led to believe the same as you were. I thought that we had the option of cashing out whenever we chose, just as long as the pick was outside the protection boundary.

Poohdini may be correct & if so, I will come on the board to rightfully give him his props.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I was under the impression of Poohdini as well. I just figured that was how protected picks worked. :shrug: