2016 F.A. wish

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Exactly correct! The business model of adding aging professionals is bad regardless of how good they are.

We shouldn't sign anyone older than 26-27. I also don't believe in the contacts of a life time for free agents. Many of them stop trying as hard once they're paid. It's actually normal human behavior to let up after you've achieved a pinnacle. It's not excusable but common.

Unless you never miss on draft picks, you have to have a balanced approach with free agents and draft picks. I'm just not a fan of signing 30 year old players. Many of them are great but the risk is too high!

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Exactly correct! The business model of adding aging professionals is bad regardless of how good they are.

We shouldn't sign anyone older than 26-27. I also don't believe in the contacts of a life time for free agents. Many of them stop trying as hard once they're paid. It's actually normal human behavior to let up after you've achieved a pinnacle. It's not excusable but common.

Unless you never miss on draft picks, you have to have a balanced approach with free agents and draft picks. I'm just not a fan of signing 30 year old players. Many of them are great but the risk is too high!

It depends on the situation. A team that's close to competing, by all means should add older players that can still play at a high level. Green Bay signing Peppers, Denver signing Ware, Patriots signing Revis were all very good moves that fit this criteria. The Bears signing Weddle and hoping he's still good when they are good is a mistake.

Ali-Frazier

Liked Posts:
Do KC have to pay anyone this year? Berry would surely be their priority?

I don't think he will be. They need to try to resign Justin Houston, Derrick Johnson, Sean Smith, and Dontari Poe too. I would be happy to have any of them, but I love Berry.

BPo001

Liked Posts:
I don't think he will be. They need to try to resign Justin Houston, Derrick Johnson, Sean Smith, and Dontari Poe too. I would be happy to have any of them, but I love Berry.
Kansas City Chiefs All-Pro outside linebacker Justin Houston reportedly signed a six-year, $101 million deal with the team with $52.5 million guaranteed, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter on July 15. Schefter noted the contract was the richest in Chiefs history and the richest of all time for a linebacker.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Malik Jackson
Danny Trevathan
Trumaine Johnson
Eric Berry

Let's ride!

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Eric Weddle.

The guy plays his ass off, plays the run game well, takes great angles and is not going back to SD.

Would love to see him in chicago.

I know a guy who is a good friend of his.

schizm032003

Liked Posts:
Myself, I really like Wilkerson. We have needs in the front seven, and Wilkerson is a beast, as well as a fit for Fangio's style of 3-4. Personally I'd love to see a front three of Wilkerson, Goldman and Houston. I know they have Houston listed as a OLB, but the guy is a DL guy. He is big and strong, can rush the passer as well as be a good run stopper. He and Wilkerson togetheer as bookends would be a good start on the dline. I'd expect that we can go with Young and McPhee on the edges, and draft a good young pass rusher there at some point in the draft. But to me it begins with going after Wilkerson. The guy is a monster, defends the run well, rushes the passer, can be a leader type that this defense can use more of. I also like Berry, but to me Wilkerson would fill a bigger need.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
Myself, I really like Wilkerson. We have needs in the front seven, and Wilkerson is a beast, as well as a fit for Fangio's style of 3-4. Personally I'd love to see a front three of Wilkerson, Goldman and Houston. I know they have Houston listed as a OLB, but the guy is a DL guy. He is big and strong, can rush the passer as well as be a good run stopper. He and Wilkerson togetheer as bookends would be a good start on the dline. I'd expect that we can go with Young and McPhee on the edges, and draft a good young pass rusher there at some point in the draft. But to me it begins with going after Wilkerson. The guy is a monster, defends the run well, rushes the passer, can be a leader type that this defense can use more of. I also like Berry, but to me Wilkerson would fill a bigger need.

I checked the Chiefs cap space and they only have 14MM open in 2016. They also have Sheldon Richardson's contract up the next off season and they have a good replacement for Wilkerson. So our Bears have a shot at Wilkerson it would certainly appear. If Houston puts back some weight with muscle this DE alignment looks pretty good of Houston, Eddie, and Wilkerson. Perhaps use Houston on passing downs then use Ego or Jenkins for the rest.

My number one FA hope is Berry but the Chiefs have 33MM in cap space so they probably will keep him.

Trevanthan has to the Bears number one guy and money talks to FA's and their agents so the Bears have good shot with Danny plus the Fox connection.

If we cant get Berry than Trumain Johnson at CB as the secondary needs some established experienced quality players to shoot for a top 10 defense.

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
Shame JA didn't draft him when he had a shot at him.

I so desperately wanted the Bears to draft him when he was available in the second round. He was sitting right there for us, and I really thought we were going to pick him. Then, SD traded up with us and they picked him, and I was so pissed. But SD did give the Bears a boatload of picks just to move up in the second round. They gave up their 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and another 3rd in the following year to move up to the Bears pick. Not too bad, I thought... but take a gander at who the Bears selected with those picks: Dan Bazuin, Garrett Wolfe, Kevin Payne, and Marcus Harrison. Great job, Angelo!

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:

The only time I like signing older players is when they are cheap and have an upside. Sometimes they were in the wrong system or have spent 3 or 4 years hurt and even though they could be highly productive for your team they won't cost a lot because no one is knocking down their door. That is the best and only time to pick up a 30 year old.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
I'd rather get pass rushers.

You can have the best safeties of all time, when you cant get to the quarterback, they become irrelevant.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Malik Jackson is my #1 guy.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Mine as well. Pay him what he wants- I wouldn't hesitate to make him a top 5 DE in all of football heading into 2016.

Just saying:

Jackson- 15 games, 43 combined tackles (32 solo), 5 sacks, 7 passes defensed.
Wolfe- 11 games, 46 combined tackles (32 solo), 4.5 sacks, 1 pass defensed

They're about the same size, they are a month apart in age (Wolfe slightly younger). Both have a 6 sack season in their past. Jackson is probably a little more disruptive turnover wise (tipped balls, 2 FFs to 0 for Wolfe). I think for the likely price tags though, Wolfe is the better bargain.