2022 NBA Playoffs Discussion

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
And that’s fine to take that opinion. I don’t personally think it’s as easy as saying whoever has the most ships between the two is who is the GOAT of that position.

My all time starting 5 is still Magic, MJ, Bird, Lebron, and Olajuwon

Steph is great, and I’m not knocking him when I say Magic is still better IMO
Can’t go wrong with that 5

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Steph through first 4 games against the best defense in the league and the DPOY.

34.3 PPG
6.3 RPG
3.8 APG
2.0 SPG
50% FG
49% 3P
85% FT

@clonetrooper264 couldnt do that on 2k

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Steph Curry is going down as the greatest PG ever.
I don't think people remember just how good Magic really was. He is likely the greatest playmaker in NBA history. He was also an extremely well-rounded scorer. He just knew the most valuable part of his game was his passing. It fit the team's need better than being a 25-30 ppg scorer. He was a very good rebounder too and could start and finish the fast break. He also averaged 2-3 steals in his prime. If Curry is the second best PG, he's a distant second in my opinion

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Magic is interesting because at the time the West was very weak. Magic and the Lakers basically had run of the West through the 80s like LeBron had with the East in the 2010s. The Lakers also benefited from having a rather stacked team for the decade which made things easier for them. But the Lakers also did beat the Celtics rather handily 2 out of 3 times in the Finals, and probably only lost in 84 due to some costly late game mistakes. Also Magic pretty much beat nearly every defensive assignment thrown at him. Meanwhile, we've seen Steph Curry have some bad NBA Finals.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
When Steph adds the sky hook and playing center to his resume, then we can talk ?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Steph through first 4 games against the best defense in the league and the DPOY.

34.3 PPG
6.3 RPG
3.8 APG
2.0 SPG
50% FG
49% 3P
85% FT

@clonetrooper264 couldnt do that on 2k
I haven't played 2k in like 4 years now so that's probably accurate lol

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I feel like people here are acting like im disregarding Magic.

Steph has some years to go and I believe he could take over the number 1 spot.

The numbers I put out there were for people who say he shrinks in the finals.

Cough cough @Scoot26

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I feel like people here are acting like im disregarding Magic.

Steph has some years to go and I believe he could take over the number 1 spot.

The numbers I put out there were for people who say he shrinks in the finals.

Cough cough @Scoot26
He totally shrunk in his first two Finals. He was overshadowed in the next two by KD.. in 2019, he put together a good series, but Warriors were generally overmatched by Toronto. So far in this series he has played well, and if the Warriors win, probably get his first Finals MVP.

Frankly though he's about to turn 34 and Magic was better than him in everything except shooting/scoring. I don't really see how he can surpass Magic.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
He totally shrunk in his first two Finals. He was overshadowed in the next two by KD.. in 2019, he put together a good series, but Warriors were generally overmatched by Toronto. So far in this series he has played well, and if the Warriors win, probably get his first Finals MVP.

Frankly though he's about to turn 34 and Magic was better than him in everything except shooting/scoring. I don't really see how he can surpass Magic.
Different ages of different games. Magic took advantages of mismatches cause Bigs couldnt run with and small guys couldnt take his size. I mean the only real comparison to Magic is Luka in todays game. I guess maybe Jokic, but he is bigger and a different type of point/forward/center.

Steph contributions are much more than scoring/shooting. He absolutely wears people out. He has to be the most in shape player in the league. The only way that offense works is Steph constant moving off screens and ability to put the ball on a string and make ridiculous lane shots where the defense has to collapse.

I get Magic and have no qualms. But, Steph s closing the gap and also changed basketball forever just like Magic

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Even outside of stats, Steph's impact on the game just being on the floor is pretty crazy. The amount of attention he draws will probably be overlooked as time goes on, but this is a guy who is often drawing the attention of 3 and sometimes even 4 defenders at once. That doesn't necessarily make him better than magic, but it's just an intangible that most will gloss over because it doesn't show up on his stats.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Steph is better than Magic at shooting. And that's pretty much it as far as skills on the court.

As far as accolades, Magic has more titles and more finals MVPs. So there you go

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
I figured if anyone could help Wiggins it was the Warriors. Smart dealing they did there.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
You better believe that it would have never mattered how he played this series. He was getting that Finals MVP this year.
Ehh maybe Wiggins takes it after tonight and if he has another big game 6 with another meh Steph game

Last edited by a moderator:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Steph is better than Magic at shooting. And that's pretty much it as far as skills on the court.

As far as accolades, Magic has more titles and more finals MVPs. So there you go
Magic ball handling is not in Stephs category.