46 Defense

supraman

Liked Posts:
I felt this would have been a little OT in the bears thread so I'll ask it here. How come the 46 Defense has been abandoned completely? I don't know of a single team that runs it. I've seen the highlights of the bears 46 and well it seemed like the most dominating style of defense ever. So why doesn't anyone use it anymore?

Rdrhwke

Liked Posts:
I felt this would have been a little OT in the bears thread so I'll ask it here. How come the 46 Defense has been abandoned completely? I don't know of a single team that runs it. I've seen the highlights of the bears 46 and well it seemed like the most dominating style of defense ever. So why doesn't anyone use it anymore?

If you run a 46 defense it means you're going to 8 men in the box, you're going to have to play man coverage and only have a single safety deep (in the basic 46). It's designed more to stop the run and unless you have some great players up front, you're going to get burned. The West Coast offense and variations of it can shred a 46. Nowadays, for the most part, QB's take shorter drops and unload the ball quickly. This is what kills a 46.

supraman

Liked Posts:
If you run a 46 defense it means you're going to 8 men in the box, you're going to have to play man coverage and only have a single safety deep (in the basic 46). It's designed more to stop the run and unless you have some great players up front, you're going to get burned. The West Coast offense and variations of it can shred a 46. Nowadays, for the most part, QB's take shorter drops and unload the ball quickly. This is what kills a 46.

Ah gotcha, I do not have the grasp of football like I do hockey. In football the only thing I know about defense is kill the fucker with the ball and cover the receivers like white on rice.