5 things we've learned about Bears offense through mandatory minicamp

Sammich

Liked Posts:
Screen passes will be featured in the offense

The Bears now have a few different weapons that are dangerous with the ball in their hands, and screen passes are a quick way to let play-makers make plays after the catch.

“Well, the screen game is an important part of football. When you have the defensive linemen just pinning their ears back going after you, if you don’t have that as a part of your game, you could be in trouble,” Matt Nagy told reporters this week. “It takes practice, it takes reps, but it’s a huge part of this offense.”

Tarik Cohen made some big plays after the catch on screen passes last year, and Taylor Gabriel offers similar explosiveness to make up for his lack of size.

Even second-round pick Anthony Miller is a go-to screen player. According to Pro Football Focus, he led the nation last season in yards gained on screen passes, so Nagy will have plenty of ways to mix up his quick passes.

Mitchell Trubisky is starting to get more comfortable in the new system

The learning process for a brand new offense is Mitchell Trubisky’s second year in the NFL isn’t something that should be rushed.

But even before training camp, the franchise quarterback is starting to get the hang of things.

“We pulled back today for the whole offense and [Trubisky] played fast and you saw completions out there, and that’s what it’s all about,” Nagy said. “We’re growing, he’s growing, the offense is growing.”

Initially, Nagy said the offense was going to take “baby steps,” but it appears Trubisky is almost done crawling and ready to get up and walk on his own.

The sooner he can master the system and get on the same page as his new receivers, the quicker Nagy can unleash his creativity in Chicago.

Tarik Cohen will do a little bit of everything

Tarik Cohen might not have a natural position to call home by the end of the 2018 season.

He’s learning every skill position in the Bears’ offense to be able to lineup wherever Nagy needs him.

It’s a dream come true for the second-year running back out of North Carolina A&T.

“I feel like this is the offense for me,” Cohen told the media Wednesday. “I feel like the role of being dynamic will be my biggest role.”

Not a running back, not a wide receiver, just dynamic.

The Bears offense is giving the defense trouble in practice

The ripple effect from the offensive improvement is an even tougher opponent for the Bears defense to face in practice.

“Everybody’s catching balls and everybody on the offensive side, they just look a little bit fresher and a little bit quicker and more likely to make a play,” defensive end Akiem Hicks said Wednesday. “There’s so many dang moving parts, it gives us fits in practice.”

The prominence of the run-pass option has been testing the Bears’ back seven in particular as they have to maintain their discipline to be ready for anything.

It’s been a long time since the Bears had an offense worthy of pushing the Top 10 defense practicing across from them, all good signs for Matt Nagy so early on.

Anthony Miller is crafting his own identity for No. 17

Rookie wide receiver Anthony Miller knew what he was getting into when he chose jersey No. 17 on the Bears.

“I’m not trying to match any type of skills that [Alshon Jeffery] had,” Miller said, via NBC Sports Chicago. “I’m Anthony Miller, I’m the new 17. I’m not trying to match him at all.”

He shouldn’t draw too many comparisons to Alshon Jeffery just given their size difference, although the Memphis receiver showed a similar ability to win jump balls down the field.

Miller wants to be a more well-rounded wide receiver in the Bears offense that can win in multiple ways and give fans a reason to buy a new No. 17 jersey.

“Who wouldn’t want to be their own person?” Miller said. “They don’t want to be known as somebody else, or a replica of somebody else. I believe I bring certain traits to the game that maybe those guys didn’t. I just want to be known as Anthony Miller.”

-Bearswire.usatoday.com

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
An improved and diverse O should genuinely help the D moving forward. Scheme wise, it's probably the most difficult O to defend right now and not one you can install for a scout team to run against a D in practice. It's a type of O that didn't exist in 85 and one that could probably have done some damage against the Champs.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Today's NFL requires more than talent, because every team has it. You can not just line up in a predictable formation and run a typical play and expect to beat the team across from you.

Teams require an element of deception on both sides of the Ball. Vic knows that and builds a defense that can disguise coverage, and has players that can perform more than one function at a high level.

Neggy, is doing the same thing on Offense, because he realizes that the talent that lines up on the other side of the field it simply too good to beat without some kind of deception. All you need is a 1/2 of a step of hesitation from the defense.

This is what I am excited about, because Lovie Smith never had that, Trestman never did that, and Fox was about as creative as a box of rocks. They all approached football as if they had the better talent, and just executing a predictable play perfectly was going to win them games. Today's NFL is not about having the best talent on the field (even though that does not hurt), it is about playing SMARTER than your opponent.

I don't expect this offense to come out of the gates scoring 40 points every game, but I do expect to see, misdirection, game time adjustment, and sustained drives.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Football is about execution and not tricks. You only fool people for a very short time in this league.

Bort

Liked Posts:
Football is about execution and not tricks. You only fool people for a very short time in this league.

You need both. If you're too predictable, you'll struggle no matter how well you execute; and if you can't execute, you'll struggle no matter how creative your play calling is.