$60 Million guaranteed to Jackson and Whitehair.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Not that I am a big PFF fan, but they show adequate play except at C and RT, where Bars and Mustipher are grading out very poorly, and Simmons grading out as awful.

A healthy Ifedi improves the RT position, and it Mustipher continues to struggle you may want to try Borom at G and slide Whitehair back to C.

Once again, having 3 OL on the DL has made things much more difficult than they should be.

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
Say it isn't so..........Pace is George's football guy.........right????

Visionman

Liked Posts:
This entire thread is proof we as fans have no clue of the things being complained about. Every single team backloads contracts. Every team extends their good draft picks early. To not do so shows you don’t really value them.

It’s fair game to criticize Pace for re-upping mediocre talent, or for paying too much to do so. But know what you’re talking about before you whine for the sake of whining…

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
You seem so angry with me just giving my opinion. So i haven't missed a game since the early 80's, how bout you? I got them mixed up cause Daniels has been our LG when he wasn't playing C before this year. Simple mistake but so angry about it. Nobody can touch me on Bears football i promise you that.
who was the best WR on the team in the late 70s with 2 first names?

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Interesting points, but i'm going to sign Daniels to a $10M per year contract anway.

-Ryan Pace

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
This entire thread is proof we as fans have no clue of the things being complained about. Every single team backloads contracts. Every team extends their good draft picks early.

Yes. And if you chop of the last year of 13 million (with only a 4m cap hit), the contract averages 7.5/year which is more palatable. And if he is playing well you convert that.

greg23

Liked Posts:
In general, whitehair has been fine.

At his price point, he's vastly overpaid.

The line is a mess and the need at least 2 new starters (prob 3) and really need to see Borom/Jenkins this year to get an idea if they can be one or two and at which spots.....they would be a HUGE help as cheap starters at both tackle spots but the bears cannot pencil them in without seeing them play this year....they'd have to get a starting caliber tackle in the off season in addition to a center

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Daniels still needs seasoning but is actually our best lineman outside of Peters. My biggest issue with the line is Mustipher and Whitehair next to each other since neither is a power player. You can get away with one that has good hands and technique (Whitehair) but as is, it's a soft spot that's compressing the pocket.

You can't use your 3rd or 4th RT, not help him and expect what may be the strongest middle DL to not get a push. Makes it too easy for edge blitzes. How can Lazor and Nagy not adjust the (already poor) protection plan when they found out about Wilkerson. Doesn't matter if it's a same day thing. This O is poorly coached.
Just cause he’s our best doesn’t mean he’s good. He’s the best of what exactly lol. Can’t make a thread of poor cap management and say 10 mil a year for daniels is a good thing. And I agree mustipher blows. He had flashes last year but this year has been a disaster. They should try someone else there for a game

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Extending players is always about risk/reward.

The team gets a bit of a deal while the player gets to lock on a contract. On the flip side, the team is guaranteeing salary early while the player is missing out on potentially a bigger payday.

Anyway, these two deals appear to be working against the Bears. There is a bit of fuckery built into these numbers because the salary cap was lowered, but there's no denying both players have underperformed in relation to expectations.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
70s for me. Doesn't make my dick longer. WTF?
That's was angry? LOL. You claim that Whitehair will get better with better players next to him and that's obvious but he'd still be overpaid. Kinda the subject of this thread. Nobody here said he wasn't deserving to start.
So just another thread about overpaid players and you added E.Jackson in there cause we've never talked about his contract on CCS...LOL.

Thanks for the info.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
who was the best WR on the team in the late 70s with 2 first names?
James Scott who was also on the 1982 team but i was more early 80's like i said when Dennis Gentry was my guy and then of course Willie Gault a couple years later.

This is the internet though and could of easily just looked that up. Hmmmmmmm

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
...I warned y’all about Ponzi Pace this off-season. I warned we'd see repercussions THIS season.

You cannot backload contracts AND trade away draft picks...it catches up to you.

Pace is COUNTING on everything going right, I said.

Did everything go right?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This entire thread is proof we as fans have no clue of the things being complained about. Every single team backloads contracts. Every team extends their good draft picks early. To not do so shows you don’t really value them.

It’s fair game to criticize Pace for re-upping mediocre talent, or for paying too much to do so. But know what you’re talking about before you whine for the sake of whining…
This entire thread is about overpaying and doing so because he signed them a year early besides. You don't both pay top dollar and sign early. You do one or the other. Your post is off the OP topic because this isn't about backloading, it's about poor value decisions because he could have gotten (or at least close to) those deals a year later if they continued to perform. I never said we didn't have enough money to compete in the future.

You constantly defend Pace on this when the issue isn't the one you describe. Cody's cap hit is $12.3M next year and costs more to cut. His cap hit in 2023 is over $14m. and then 13.2M again in 2024. If he was paid an appropriate amount over the term of an extension signed when we had a better handle on what he's worth, the #s wouldn't approach the overall payout and it adds up over time. You should pay a bit of a premium to backload but when it's this unbalanced you are then forced to backload others more often. It catches up to you in releasing good players and FA.

I've explained this to you before when we've had this argument but I get that you won't accept it and think overpaying by these amounts is OK as long as it's backloaded.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
...I warned y’all about Ponzi Pace this off-season. I warned we'd see repercussions THIS season.

You cannot backload contracts AND trade away draft picks...it catches up to you.

Pace is COUNTING on everything going right, I said.

Did everything go right?
This is nothing new and started long before this offseason. Some of us have been on Pace about this topic for years. Every GM counts on things working out or they wouldn't do what they do. To be clear, I have no issue with moving funds around and backloading but it needs good choices and balance. The way around it near term is to draft well and some of that would be this years Ts working out by next year and before their 2nd contract.

Last edited:

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is nothing new and started long before this offseason. Some of us have been on Pace about this topic for years. Every GM counts on things working out or they wouldn't do what they do. To be clear, I have no issue with moving funds around and backloading but it needs good choices and balance. The way around it near term is to draft well and some of that would be this years Ts working out by next year and before their 2nd contract.
...you kinda left out the trading draft picks side.