"A Cut Above" - Culter/Bears frontpage SI.com

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
The very rare Bears mention on first page SI.com

Interesting stat: Total Yards: Bears 258, Steelers 459

130923005554-jaycutler-092313-t1-t1-with-tabs.jpg

http://nfl.si.com/2013/09/23/jay-cutler-bears-offense-steelers/?sct=hp_t11_a2
Jay Cutler, Bears offense rewriting reputations with confident win in Pittsburgh
Posted September 23, 2013 By Chris Burke

The natural reaction after Chicago’s 40-23 win in Pittsburgh is to credit the Bears’ opportunistic defense, which almost always receives the praise when this team wins. There’s logic to that approach here, too, considering that Major Wright’s pick-six made it 24-3 in the first half and Julius Peppers’ fumble return touchdown iced the game late.

When Chicago’s back was really against the wall, though, right as this one appeared to be swinging the direction of the desperate, homestanding Steelers, it was the offense that answered the bell.

A 44-yard Shaun Suisham field goal early in the fourth quarter chopped what was once a 21-point Bears lead down to four. The Heinz Field crowd was alive and the aging Pittsburgh defense suddenly looked sprightly.

Three times on the ensuing drive, that defense pushed the Bears into third down. Three times, Jay Cutler made a play. For starters, he scrambled past the first-down marker, lowering his shoulder and delivering a shot on defensive back Robert Golden. Then, with the Steelers bringing pressure on a third-and-12, Cutler floated a beautiful back-shoulder ball to Brandon Marshall for 42 yards.

Finally, when Chicago could have settled for a field goal and a seven-point lead, Cutler dropped a touchdown toss in to a sprawling Earl Bennett.

You want defense? Fine. The Bears still make teams pay for every little mistake, jumping routes and swarming loose balls. Just know that this offense — with its improved line, a confident Cutler and Marc Trestman calling the plays — can dig pretty deep when it is necessary.

“Offensively, I think we’re really sound with what we’re doing protection-wise and scheme-wise,” Cutler told NBC’s Michele Tafoya after the game. “Our defense is still pretty good, so we’ve got that in our back pocket.”

This is two weeks in a row now that the Bears’ offense has taken control in the latter stages. One Sunday ago, with the Vikings on the verge of stealing a win at Soldier Field, Cutler capped a last-minute drive with a scoring toss to Martellus Bennett.

Of course, Cutler’s offense was in that position in Week 2 — as it was in Week 3 — because the Bears’ defense did its thing earlier. The Steelers staggered that D in the second half this Sunday, even after Chicago opened the third quarter by forcing a Felix Jones turnover. Ben Roethlisberger clicked into a rhythm for the next quarter-plus, his touchdown connection to Antonio Brown being one of the prettiest plays of the young season.

The Bears bent to the point of breaking, with Pittsburgh driving to tie the game in the fourth. Chicago then turned up the heat on Big Ben to force a critical third-down incompletion.

Cutler proceeded to help deliver the knockout blow, starting with his shoulder-first flattening of Golden.

“I had to make sure I could get the first down,” Cutler explained. “They were all yelling when I got back to the huddle to get down.”

Consider that message received. This one, too: Chicago is the team to beat in the NFC North. On the same day that the Packers and Vikings, both playoffs teams out of this division last season, fell to a combined 1-5, the Bears stayed perfect at 3-0. Next up, a showdown with 2-1 Detroit.

Chicago may not be able to control that one from start to finish, as it basically did in its win over Pittsburgh. But the Bears have to feel pretty secure in the knowledge that their offense can score on anyone and that their defense remains a fear-inducing group.

“That’s an identity that we’ve built over the years, taking the ball away,” Peppers told the NFL Network.

“It’s Bear defense,” Wright said on NBC’s postgame show. “Takeaways, we preach on that, we practice that.”

The staggering Steelers were all too willing to accommodate.

Once-cut running back Jonathan Dwyer provided a spark for the home team in the backfield — on both of Roethlisberger’s TD passes, Dwyer stepped up on a blitzing Bear to give his QB time. He was on the sideline, however, when Lance Briggs came flying through with about four minutes left and the Bears up 11. Isaac Redman could not provide the same level of protection for Roethlisberger, and Briggs popped the ball out and into Peppers’ arms for a touchdown.

Roethlisberger added one last interception at the end — his second and the Steelers’ sixth turnover of the game.

Yet, for all the miscues that came before Peppers’ defensive TD, the Steelers were thrice on the verge of getting the ball back with a chance to win. Cutler refused to let that happen.

“Guys hung in there all night, [the] defense giving us opportunity after opportunity,” Cutler said. “We didn’t play as well as we wanted too, I didn’t play as well as I wanted to … but we hung in there.”

It’s easy to chalk win No. 3 up as a classic Bears performance. Heck, even Cutler heaped most of the praise on his team’s defense.

But this is far more than a one-dimensional Chicago team. The reputation may remain that of a defense-first club. The offense continues to save its best for last.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
It looks like the rest of the world is just catching up to what we already know.:clap:

OmiyalePants

More pink bars means
Liked Posts:
“Our defense is still pretty good, so we’ve got that in our back pocket.” - Cutler

"Still pretty good"? Way to throw them under the bus, Cutty. I still don't like his body language.

Bearsweatherman

Liked Posts:
That TD drive was awesome and was pretty much all Cutler. The scramble was great especially him just lowering the boom although I think a slide would be a bit better just because I don't want to see McCown come in. That third down throw to Marshall was perfectly placed as was the throw to Bennett in the corner of the endzone. The thing with last nights game, he got hit more than the previous two games and he still made the plays. He seems a bit more in control this year. Gonna be a tough game next week in Detroit but as long as our O-line can give him time I think he picks apart that Detroit secondary.

Schmidtaki

Just your everyday fail.
Donator
Liked Posts:
“Our defense is still pretty good, so we’ve got that in our back pocket.” - Cutler

"Still pretty good"? Way to throw them under the bus, Cutty. I still don't like his body language.

I don't like your body language.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:

The way Cutler said that, I didn't hear any hint of being disparaging. I think it was a honest compliment.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
Also USA Today

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...rs-pittsburgh-steelers-marc-trestman/2853157/

Jay Cutler comes through in clutch again for Bears
Jarrett Bell, USA TODAY Sports 2:38 a.m. EDT September 23, 2013
2013-09-23-jay-cutler

Jay Cutler delivered once again in the fourth quarter as the Bears topped the Steelers 40-23
Cutler had three key throws on a nine-play, 74-yard drive that virtually sealed the win
Cutler said the Bears' offense still has room to grow under coach Marc Trestman

PITTSBURGH — There's nothing that validates a big-time quarterback in the NFL quite like his ability to make the difference with the game on the line in crunch time.

Jay Cutler hasn't always been that guy, but lately the Chicago Bears quarterback has proven able to save his best stuff for the finish.

It happened again at Heinz Field on Sunday night, when the Bears left with a 40-23 victory against the Pittsburgh Steelers that almost seemed on the verge of slipping away.

Midway through the fourth quarter, it was a four-point game. Anybody's game.

Then Cutler turned into Mr. Fourth Quarter. Again.

Consider the three third-down conversions on a nine-play, 74-yard drive:

-- Third-and-10, Bears 26: Cutler escapes from a near-sack, then bolts around left end. Rather than sliding at the end of a 13-yard scramble, he lowers his shoulder to punish oncoming safety Robert Golden.

"Whenever you slide, it usually goes back to the point at where you start to slide," he said. "I just wanted to make sure we kept the drive going. I just wanted to stay on the field."

-- Third-and-12, Bears 39: Cutler zips a laser pass to Brandon Marshall, who was running a fade route against Ike Taylor's man coverage. To that point in the game, Marshall had caught four passes for 11 yards. Cutler hit him on the back shoulder for 41 yards.

"Really, it's all Jay," Marshall said. "Jay threw a 50-yard back-shoulder. I've never seen that before. The guy's arm is amazing. Jay put it in the right place."

-- Third-and-5, Steelers 17: Cutler spotted slot receiver Earl Bennett in man coverage, matched against a safety, Shamarko Thomas. The pass had one inch to spare. Maybe. Bennett caught it in the back left corner of the end zone and dragged his right toe inbounds before falling out of bounds and maintaining possession. It was ruled incomplete, but reversed to a touchdown after coach Marc Trestman threw his challenge flag.

It put the Bears up 34-23, with 5:48 remaining.