Adam Gase has a respect from his former coworker Vic Fangio

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Adam Gase has respect from his former coworker Vic Fangio

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears/Article/Adam-Gase-Vic-Fangio-respect-123176409/Amp/

I'm glad Adam Gase didn't take Vic Fangio to Miami with him.

It was 2015 and the Chicago Bears were looking to go a brand new direction. Head coach Marc Trestman was shown the door following two disappointing seasons, leaving an opening in Chicago. New general manager Ryan Pace hired veteran John Fox to take over the team and he acted quickly to add a pair of respected coordinators. He brought Adam Gase with him to Chicago from Denver to run the offense and hired Vic Fangio to take over the struggling defense. After just one season, Gase was hired by the Dolphins as their head coach. Gase and Fangio's respective sides of the football will now square off against each other on Sunday afternoon.

Gase and Fangio worked just one year together, but the veteran defensive coordinator left a lasting impression on the young head coach. When speaking to the media on Thursday morning, Gase noted it does not matter what he already knows about Fangio and his defense, Fangio is one of the best around.

"It doesn't matter what I know because Vic is going to have a good plan," Gase said in his presser. "He's very tough to go against. He's extremely smart and he's seen a lot of football."

Adam Gase has a lot of respect for Vic Fangio
by Matt Eurich
8 hours ago

It was 2015 and the Chicago Bears were looking to go a brand new direction. Head coach Marc Trestman was shown the door following two disappointing seasons, leaving an opening in Chicago. New general manager Ryan Pace hired veteran John Fox to take over the team and he acted quickly to add a pair of respected coordinators. He brought Adam Gase with him to Chicago from Denver to run the offense and hired Vic Fangio to take over the struggling defense. After just one season, Gase was hired by the Dolphins as their head coach. Gase and Fangio's respective sides of the football will now square off against each other on Sunday afternoon.

Gase and Fangio worked just one year together, but the veteran defensive coordinator left a lasting impression on the young head coach. When speaking to the media on Thursday morning, Gase noted it does not matter what he already knows about Fangio and his defense, Fangio is one of the best around.

"It doesn't matter what I know because Vic is going to have a good plan," Gase said in his presser. "He's very tough to go against. He's extremely smart and he's seen a lot of football."

Fangio certainly knows a thing or two about having a good defense. His unit is currently second in total defense (294.5 yards per game), first against the run (64.0 yards per game) and second in points allowed (16.2 points per game). The unit is also tied for third in interceptions (eight) and is second in sacks (18). Fangio also has the added benefit of having Khalil Mack on the roster. Chicago traded for him just before the start of the year. Mack has already recorded five sacks, four forced fumbles and has returned one interception for a touchdown in four games this season.

When Fangio took over Chicago's defense in 2015 the unit had suffered two of its worst seasons in team history. Despite making the move from a 4-3 scheme to a 3-4 scheme with a lot of players playing out of position, Fangio was able to get the unit to 14th in total defense in his first season. Injuries hit the group hard in 2016 but Fangio was still able to get his unit into the top half of the league on defense, finishing as the NFL's 15th-best unit in total defense.

In another injury-riddled year in 2017, Fangio was able to get the most out of his unit, finishing 10th in total defense and ninth in points allowed. His unit also recorded 42 sacks.

Miami's offense is not functioning at the level the Gase was hoping it would be at so far this season. His unit is currently 30th in yards through five games, averaging just 288.2 yards per contest. Quarterback Ryan Tannehill has had up-and-down moments and the team as a whole has lacked some consistency. In some ways, Gase sounded a bit dejected when asked about Fangio and how his offense could perform against him on Sunday. For the time being, the grizzled Bears veteran appears to have the upper hand.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I feel soooo far removed from Trestman...can't believe it was 2015 when he was canned..

btw, I fized this quote from Gase...

"It doesn't matter what I know because Vic has Khalil Mack and we have a banged up Offensive Line and a sitting duck at QB" Gase said in his presser.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
Gase was highly regarded by fans when he was here so it's good that fans now think we have something better going with Nagy here. Validates Pace's decision to hire him. At least 4 games into his tenure, as much as you can take anything away from that sample size

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
Gase and Cutler will forever go down in history as one of the most explosive offensive tandems in the history of athletics in general with the 21 TD and 11 INT stat line

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fox and Fangio didn't see eye to eye on the defense. Fangio was hired same time as Fox...I would imagine the money was sweet enough to start and he was under contract....so unless he was going to get fired that is why he stayed with Fox....

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
I wonder why in the world Fangio decided to stay on with Fox.

Maybe Pace told him that Fox was gone next season but wanted Fangio around? I'd say Fangio is one of the few DCs that almost any new coach would gladly keep on the staff instead of hiring their own. So possible that the Bears promised Fangio that he'd be around post-Fox if he could stick it out.

But that's just my guess and I have absolutely nothing to back this up.