Alex Smith raves about what Matt Nagy will do for Bears

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-mitch-trubisky-alex-smith-20180130-story,amp.html

“He and I spent five years together and we were about as close as it gets from a coach-and-player relationship,” said Smith, who remains under contract to the Chiefs for one more year and is the subject of trade speculation. “To see him grow as a quarterbacks coach, then go to coordinator and now I am pumped for him as he becomes a head coach.

“I think he is going to do awesome. He has the it deal. I don’t know how to say it, but he is so comfortable around the guys, so comfortable in front of the room. Leading guys, he is so real, honest and very gifted from an X’s and O’s standpoint.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
I hope he’s for real however I also remember players throwing praise at Trestman.

Reactions: DC

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Did he say anything about DeFillipio?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I hope he’s for real however I also remember players throwing praise at Trestman.
Trestman had also been fired several times and needed to go to Canada to continue coaching, looking back that should have been a huge red flag for Emory.

Washington

Liked Posts:
It will be very refreshing to have a modern offense and coaches who are capable of developing players and using their strengths. Houston did that with Watson. I feel confident Nagy will do that with Trubisky. There will be good times ahead.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't know if I would use Houston as an example tbh. Bill O'Brien had one foot out the door until Watson's play saved his ass. O'Brien is far too inflexible with his quarterbacks. He's another one of those NFL meatheads that forces everyone into his system instead of tailoring his offense around the guy at the helm.

Washington

Liked Posts:
I don't know if I would use Houston as an example tbh. Bill O'Brien had one foot out the door until Watson's play saved his ass. O'Brien is far too inflexible with his quarterbacks. He's another one of those NFL meatheads that forces everyone into his system instead of tailoring his offense around the guy at the helm.

But, O'Brien did change the play calling to fit Watson's strength and incorporated far more RPO and screens for him. So, they are a good example in this case.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Except he didn't really change his offense much at all. The only notable change he made to the offense was to use a ton of pre-snap motion when he wasn't using much of it at all before. They were having a lot of success based on this pre-snap motion creating easy reads for Watson. Yes they did sprinkle in some RPO like you're saying but it wasn't much of it. The pre-snap motion had far more to do with the offensive success than anything else. The RPO was just something to give the defense another thing to worry about.

Here is an article talking about how inflexible he is: https://www.all22.com/houston-texans/deshaun-watson-bill-obrien-coexist-houston-texans-offense

proton

Liked Posts:

I don't, All I remember is Tim Brown throwing him under the bus for a horrific game plan the year Oakland went to the Superbowl and got their ass beat.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Except he didn't really change his offense much at all. The only notable change he made to the offense was to use a ton of pre-snap motion when he wasn't using much of it at all before. They were having a lot of success based on this pre-snap motion creating easy reads for Watson. Yes they did sprinkle in some RPO like you're saying but it wasn't much of it. The pre-snap motion had far more to do with the offensive success than anything else. The RPO was just something to give the defense another thing to worry about.

Here is an article talking about how inflexible he is: https://www.all22.com/houston-texans/deshaun-watson-bill-obrien-coexist-houston-texans-offense

So adding more pre-snap motion and some more RPO was not assisting Watson? I believe they called far more screens and passes behind the LOS too but I have to find that article that someone else had posted. Either way, whether Houston modified their offense to help Watson or not, I think Nagy will for Trubisky.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
IF you had said assisting Watson instead of "change the play calling to fit Watson's strength" then I would have simply agreed with you. What changes he made didn't explicitly change the offense towards Watson's strengths unless you call the few snaps of RPO a major change to Bill O'Brien's offense. I'm basically saying he is still an inflexible idiot which by virtue means he and his team are not a good example of an offense being tailored for a quarterback at all.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Not the article I was looking for and continue to look for, but it is a start.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000857451/article/texans-scheme-maximizing-deshaun-watson-bills-to-playoffs

Some snippets:

O'Brien has not only revamped the Texans' offense to help Watson excel, but he has basically made the team's offense look like an NFL version of Clemson's attack. The Texans are running some of the staple concepts that were featured in the Tigers' playbook during Watson's college days and the young quarterback has flourished as a result. Whether it's the quick game from spread/empty formations or the designed quarterback runs near the goal line, the Texans have blended several college concepts into their traditional system. This has not only made Watson comfortable, but it has made the Texans a scoring machine.

Looking at the Coaches Film and studying Next Gen Stats data, Houston's aerial attack is definitely built around Watson's superb skills as a quick-rhythm passer. In the Texans' 57-14 blowout of Tennessee this past Sunday, the quick game accounted for 47.1 percent of his pass attempts -- on passes thrown in 2.50 seconds or less, Watson completed 15 of 16 tosses for 136 yards and three touchdowns. He compiled a 141.7 passer rating on those throws while displaying outstanding confidence delivering the ball to his receivers on catch-rock-and-fire passes.

The Texans have also stolen pages from Clemson's playbook to enhance their running game, particularly down in the red zone. I noticed the team running more zone-read plays with Watson keying the edge defender before electing to hand the ball off on an inside run. In addition, the team has added some designed quarterback runs that have given the team a plus-one advantage at the point of attack. With most defenses failing to account for the quarterback in the running game, the selective use of QB runs eliminates the advantage of loaded boxes.

While O'Brien might be a moron, there is no doubt changes were made to fit Watson's strengths. That was my point.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Another one:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/10/13/16467512/deshaun-watson-houston-texans-offense

A big part of Watson’s success has been O’Brien’s willingness to adjust his scheme to fit his quarterback’s strengths. The Texans employ a bevy of spread-offense-style concepts, including plenty of shotgun snaps, a preponderance of pre-snap motion in the backfield (sweep-motion, end-around motion, swaps, etc), and an arsenal of option-style runs—all meant to confuse the defense, create easy reads and throws, and get yards out of the quarterback on the ground. As I wrote about on Wednesday, these types of plays give Houston a numbers advantage on offense, which they’ve exploited with a ton of success.

Watson has run a handful of option-pitch plays, where he can toss the ball outside or keep it himself based on what the defense does. Against the Chiefs, he held on to the ball and got upfield, gaining yards before diving safely to the ground.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You do realize that O'Brien's offense already relied on spread concepts since he was with the Patriots right? Do you want me to find articles about that? The point was Watson has been the only quarterback he's had so far that has been smart enough to manage to run his offense. You also by the way just echoed what I already said with that ringer article. His pre-snap motion is the major change made to the offense. So adding like 30 plays of RPO and designed quarterback keepers doesn't suddenly make it a new offense tailored to Watson. Its just an added wrinkle to make defenses think about something else. Those hundreds of other plays still are within what O'Brien already was doing and trying to do, while failing badly might I add, with his previous quarterbacks. He was chewing through quarterbacks like they were the Cleveland Browns...