Alexander Canario part of the September call ups!

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I love this move and hope he brings it.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Might be a big step for him. He has near 30% SO rate in Iowa and pre injury was about the same

I'm expecting it to go up to 40%. So there will be growing pains involved here.

I'm just not sure of the wisdom of bringing him up in a play off race. He is untested and you can expect a struggle. This is not the best environment to toss a player into.

So I was taken back a bit. Greene I get. Vet that is performing. Get him up for game 2 and get some work in the pen after. Canario I don't agree with. Best method would have put him in AFL to get his at bats up while getting constant playing time at Iowa. Not get sporadic play due to a play off race that he got tossed into. If they were a bottom feeder sure why not. Good exposure and play through the adjust. Then take it to AFL and prep for spring.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Might be a big step for him. He has near 30% SO rate in Iowa and pre injury was about the same

I'm expecting it to go up to 40%. So there will be growing pains involved here.

I'm just not sure of the wisdom of bringing him up in a play off race. He is untested and you can expect a struggle. This is not the best environment to toss a player into.

So I was taken back a bit. Greene I get. Vet that is performing. Get him up for game 2 and get some work in the pen after. Canario I don't agree with. Best method would have put him in AFL to get his at bats up while getting constant playing time at Iowa. Not get sporadic play due to a play off race that he got tossed into. If they were a bottom feeder sure why not. Good exposure and play through the adjust. Then take it to AFL and prep for spring.

ehh, Baptism by fire. What better experience than to play in a playoff race? These are grown men. You either have it or you don't and ya go back down until ya figure it out.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
ehh, Baptism by fire. What better experience than to play in a playoff race? These are grown men. You either have it or you don't and ya go back down until ya figure it out.

Depends on the players floor. So it is case by case.

This has a high probability of being another Mervis. Vasquez would be acceptable. Morel was over the top but the world came crashing back on him.

This is why it is hard to compete and develop. Losing gives more leeway in development. Winning gives less opportunity as those P/A are outs that could be avoided by adding proven.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Exactly. They're playing a kids game, it's not brain surgery. The only thing that concerns me is that a lot of the Cub outfielders are playing pretty well and finding playing time for him might be tough. Unless there is an injury, I'd expect his stay to be a short one.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Exactly. They're playing a kids game, it's not brain surgery. The only thing that concerns me is that a lot of the Cub outfielders are playing pretty well and finding playing time for him might be tough. Unless there is an injury, I'd expect his stay to be a short one.

Yeah, if he doesn't come in and mash, he might not be a good call up. But it never hurts to give prospects a taste of that meaningful September baseball.
Mervis, I get it. He wasn't ready. And Canario could absolutely be the same thing but Mervis wasn't called up for September baseball was he?

I like the move.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Alternate take: He’s likely a better bat off the bench than Wisdom and Mastrobouni.