Alfonso Soriano: Teams Don't Win Who Spend Big

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chicago Cubs' LF Alfonso Soriano talked to Gordon Wittenmyer about teams whom spend big in free agency don't win it all. He mentions teams do good in the first few years when spending big, but that's all and the team goes down from there.

Soriano said; "I think baseball has changed, how the world has changed. What I see now is that teams that have the big names, they don't win".

Soriano was talking about hitters, and pointed out the San Francisco Giants have won a World Series 2 of the past 3 seasons without big-time money players Barry Bonds, JT Snow and Jeff Kent.

Soriano goes on about the Giants and says they've paid their pitchers well, but Tim Lincecum, Matt Cain, Madison Bumgarner, Jonathan Sanchez (not a Giant anymore) were all homegrown players. Plus Ryan Vogelsong was drafted by the Giants, left and is a Giant again. All five players are pitchers. Pitching and defense wins games. The Giants are a perfect example of that.

Soriano adds; "they're not free agents. If you play good at the right time, with the young guys , you can do something".

"In 2007 and 2008, we had a very good team, with veteran guys, big contracts and we made the playoffs for years." Soriano said of a team built largely on a 300 million spending spree before the 2007 team. "After that the team declined." The Cubs signed Soriano to the 8-year contract, 136 million prior to the 2007 season.
Soriano does want to win a World Series ring before he retires, but agrees with the direction the Cubs are going.

Soriano does not think the Cubs are far off; "I think now with all these young guys that have all the talent, I think we're not far away".

The New York Yankees are a perfect example of what Soriano is talking about. The Yankees have been known to have off-seasons of spending sprees. The Yanks did win rings because of the spending sprees, but now they're in trouble. Players on the Yankees are aging and/or declining and the Yankees aren't said to be a top team anymore.

A lot more teams are not spending big in free agency (minus the Los Angeles Dodgers) and are building from within. Teams are valuing draft picks more now a days instead of giving them up for Type-A free agents. Baseball has changed a little from recent years and keeps changing every season/off-season.

http://www.chicitysports.com/2013/03/21/alfonso-soriano-teams-dont-win-who-spend-big/

Freakyslow15

Liked Posts:
How are the Yankees an example of what Soriano is talking about? They actually have won with their high payrolls. Just not with Soriano ('01 and '03). Maybe the article should read, "Alphonso Soriano: Teams Don't Win Who Spend Big On Me."

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
The Yanks are half of what Soriano said. They won, but now their on the decline.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
How are the Yankees an example of what Soriano is talking about? They actually have won with their high payrolls. Just not with Soriano ('01 and '03). Maybe the article should read, "Alphonso Soriano: Teams Don't Win Who Spend Big On Me."

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

That was 10 years ago and the era has changed. Alfonso Soriano is actually correct in saying teams that depend on FAcy don't win. Teams are locking up their younger talent more frequently, the genesis of that move being the Longoria deal. Guys are also not getting a second career peak into their 30's because of roids and that's going to generally be the age range when good FA's hit the open market.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
The Red Sox are another example... they didn't win when the spent the past few seasons and have traded all their expensive big-time players.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
While BOS won 2 WS they still had top 3 payroll. Having top payroll dont mean you win 100% of the time but it helps TONS

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
Sure, it helps, but no guarantee.

I dont feel like doing fact checking, where have the last five World Series Champions ranked as far as payroll?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Last five would be 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012...Phillies, Yankees, Giants, Cardinals, Giants again. I think they were all in the top half, at least. All had to be upwards of $100MM. But all of them also had good homegrown talent.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Last 5 World Series Champions and their payrolls:

2008 - Phillies - 98 million - 11th
2009 - Yankees - 201 million - obvious #1
2010 - Giants - 96 million - 9th
2011 - Cardinals - 109 million - 11th
2012 - Giants - 131 million - 8th

So ... not really top, but higher. But the Yankkes and Phillies are obvious on the decline as they have aging and decling players. The Giants "really" only have pitching with timely offense. The Cardinals big players aren't performing or playing.