Always felt bad Brian Baschnagel last year was the year before the 85 run

richb688

Liked Posts:
I was born in 68 and there were two Bear players who really got me interested in watching the Bears in the mid-70's and that was Walter and the other one was wide receiver Brian Baschnagel. There were not too many good players to watch during that time period-it was pretty brutal. I just thought he was a clutch player during that time period for that team which was not easy to do with the mostly horrible QB during that time period. I always felt he deserved to play on that 85 team for that season because of what he went thru during the previous years. He did get a super bowl ring since he was helping the coaches while on injured reserve ,but that is not the same as playing. He just stood out to me during that time period.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The white receiver whose best year was 34 catches?

What about Wally Chambers? Doug Plank? Even Mike Hartenstine.

richb688

Liked Posts:
One it was my youth so I get to say what player I felt sorry for-not you. In the late 70's he was the best wide receiver on the bears sorry and it was a different game then. 99.5 percent of the Bears offense in the late 70's was Walter. The bears also did not have a viable Qb-come on Vince Evans and Bob Avellini- rex was a super star compared to them. He was clutch possession wide receiver.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Was there a two to your response?

I was just mentioning other players who were fun to watch.

And James Scott had the better career.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Person who made this thread is a white supremacist. Fucking disgusting.

:lmao:

I never saw Doug Plank play, only heard legends of him. I asked my grandpa about him once and he just said "he was a mean motherfucker." would've loved to see him and Fencik go. outside Payton I envision those 70s teams to be comprised of a bunch of bum white boys.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Baschnagel was like the prototype for Kevin White...great blocking WR. The most incredible aspect of Baschnagel's career is how often he was featured on NFL Films Crunch Course despite rarely touching the ball...he gets drilled by Saints Johnnie Poe going over the middle...he gets slammed to the ground by Dolphins Don Bessillieau on a kick return...he gets obliterated by Falcons Bob Glazebrook going over the middle again...the guy was a human highlight reel.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
your nostalgic memories aren't corroborated by my quick search of profootball reference, i'll need to correct your memories for you.

SuperDitkaMan

BANNED
Liked Posts:
He actually was on the roster in 85 and camp 86. But couldn't stay healthy. Ditka was WAY too loyal to slow or washed up receivers. Like why in hell was Dennis Gentry still on the roster in '92. Yikes.

cd35

Liked Posts:
He actually was on the roster in 85 and camp 86. But couldn't stay healthy. Ditka was WAY too loyal to slow or washed up receivers. Like why in hell was Dennis Gentry still on the roster in '92. Yikes.

Bc their receiving core was so bad in 92 Tom Waddle was the starter. And I loved Waddle but if he's one of your starting receivers, well the 92 results speak for themselves

sleke

Liked Posts:
Walter's longest career run from scrimmage (84 yds), was wiped out by a Baschnagel penalty in '79 against Philly. Knocked the Bears out of the playoffs!

Albert Flasher

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Walter's longest career run from scrimmage (84 yds), was wiped out by a Baschnagel penalty in '79 against Philly. Knocked the Bears out of the playoffs!

I remember that. It was a bullshit penalty.

Albert Flasher

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Len Walterscheid was also cut the year the Bears won the Super Bowl. He is a very successful businessman in Grand Junction, CO.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

Those 1979 NFC playoffs were kind of interesting. The Bears were a flawed team, but the conference was very weak that year. It was one of Buddy Ryan's best seasons...the Bears did a lot of funky things on defense without an abundance of talent.

The Bears outplayed the Eagles in that wild card game. They were up at half 17-10, and there were a few terrible calls against them including the Baschnagel penalty which prevented the Bears from putting the game away. Had the Bears won, they could have easily been in the Super Bowl by beating Tampa (whom they had just beaten 14-0, Doug Williams 5-19-60 4 INTs) and LA (who they beat 27-23 earlier in the year).

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

fuck him!

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I always felt bad for Revie Sorey. Mainly cuz he was named Revie.

SuperDitkaMan

BANNED
Liked Posts:
Bc their receiving core was so bad in 92 Tom Waddle was the starter. And I loved Waddle but if he's one of your starting receivers, well the 92 results speak for themselves

Oh I agree. Waddle should've been a #3. Ditka never gave a damn about speed. I mean he let one of the fastest men on the planet leave (Gault). Ultimately it was probably Ditkas undoing. His idea of speed at WR was just splitting Neal wide. And yes that worked alot. But Ditka didn't understand that when Neal didn't split wide...you needed the ILLUSION of speed outside with your WRs. With Davis and Waddle split wide, those safeties moved right up.

Anthony Morgan was a poor man's Gault and should've been the starter opposite Davis. But that was Ditka. Preferred the lunch pail WRs like Waddle over speed.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
The white receiver whose best year was 34 catches?

What about Wally Chambers? Doug Plank? Even Mike Hartenstine.

I can still see the lick Mike put on Jaws. Knocked him out of the game.

SuperDitkaMan

BANNED
Liked Posts:
Those 1979 NFC playoffs were kind of interesting. The Bears were a flawed team, but the conference was very weak that year. It was one of Buddy Ryan's best seasons...the Bears did a lot of funky things on defense without an abundance of talent.

The Bears outplayed the Eagles in that wild card game. They were up at half 17-10, and there were a few terrible calls against them including the Baschnagel penalty which prevented the Bears from putting the game away. Had the Bears won, they could have easily been in the Super Bowl by beating Tampa (whom they had just beaten 14-0, Doug Williams 5-19-60 4 INTs) and LA (who they beat 27-23 earlier in the year).

Looking back though it's a good thing we didn't go to the Super Bowl that season just to be beaten by the Raiders.

If we had, Armstrong probably survives his 81 firing and Ditka and the 80s Bears NEVER happens.