An expert's views on the Bears and Arlington Park

Luke

Liked Posts:
Lengthy, but in-depth analysis from a Chicago commercial real estate CEO - David Trandel.

The readers digest version….

"You, me and the postman would already have the finances set and this deal done. A major-market NFL team, far too often disappointing its fans and stuck in a leased, undersized stadium that's hard to get to and has no dome. And this opportunity right here, right now --
with a franchise undervalued at $3.5 billion to back it all up."

"The land without the Bears is worth less than many people probably think. For one thing, perimeter land is far more valuable than interior land to a developer on that sort of acreage. And there's a whole lot more interior than exterior at Arlington.”

"Without the Bears, I think CDI would be lucky to get $100 million for the 326 acres. The price could be as low as $60 million and as high as $120 million.”

"A BEST-CASE SCENARIO for CDI would be to get a commitment from the Bears to build their billion-dollar stadium on a portion of the land," Trandel said. "That would increase the value of the remaining land at least fourfold.”

PER TRANDEL, SOME ASSUMPTIVE MATHEMATICS and negotiating points regarding the Bears and Arlington Park:

• CDI wants $100M for the 326 acres;

• The Bears need one-third of that for their new stadium and parking -- approximately 100 acres;

• Rather than offer $33.3M for the 100 acres, the Bears should begin at $1 ("a token one dollar") and stop at $10M;

If CDI accepts $10M for 100 acres because it will house the new Halas Stadium, its remaining acreage likely increases in projected value from $66.7M to more than $200M.

"A brilliant deal by both sides," Trandel said.

It is also estimated that if the Bears do build and own a new state-of-technology stadium, the value of the franchise will rapidly ascend to more than
$5 billion.

AND WHAT ABOUT THE BEARS and a stadium-ready slice of the Arlington Park acreage?

"This is such an obvious idea because while large in scale, it is simple in practice and a proven recipe," Trandel said. "I could give you the names of six or seven equity firms off the top of my head that would be willing to come in with any money necessary to get it done.

"The Arlington site should be like a dream for the Bears. A location that has served as a major sports venue for close to 100 years. Thriving suburbs all around. Twenty minutes from O'Hare and all of the hotels in Rosemont. And a Metra station right at the front door.

Jim O'Donnell: Boom or doomed? An expert's views on the Bears and Arlington Park

Last edited:

Bust

Liked Posts:
• CDI wants $100M for the 326 acres;

Should be a no brainer with the new TV deal set to kick off in 2023. Each team pockets over 300 million for the next 11 seasons (2023-2034) before a single ticket is even sold.

The NFL reasserted its dominance over the American sports landscape on Thursday as it announced new media deals with CBS, Fox, NBC, ESPN/ABC and Amazon that, according to a source, will net the league $113 billion over 11 years. That number is staggering, amounting to $321 million per team a year.

Last edited:

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Still rather they get a new stadium on the lakefront. But, the current situation is certainly untenable, so if the city of Chicago doesn’t want to help the Bears make it happen…then this is what must

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
All I know is they better redo 53 or the traffic will be unbelievably bad.
I've mentioned this a number of times when people talk about traffic: you would have to absolutely believe that all of the surrounding communities, IDOT, PACE, CTA, and Metra will all be working together to look at how to best alleviate traffic congestion for gamedays.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
...and the Bears would be in control of what type of turf they use. Imagine that.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I've mentioned this a number of times when people talk about traffic: you would have to absolutely believe that all of the surrounding communities, IDOT, PACE, CTA, and Metra will all be working together to look at how to best alleviate traffic congestion for gamedays.
And they would have probably 2 years to figure it out.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
And they would have probably 2 years to figure it out.
You mean for construction of the stadium? I bet you're right about that. Maybe even longer when you consider how many years they have left on the SF lease.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
You mean for construction of the stadium? I bet you're right about that. Maybe even longer when you consider how many years they have left on the SF lease.
While I know that the Lease must be considered, financially, I still feel that it will have no bearing on the plans if the Bears decide that it is best to move to Arlington.

The reality is that the Bears will hire a team of lawyers to shoot holes in the Lease, and the City will have the choice of letting them out of the Lease completely or negotiating a buyout.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
With Rt 53, I'm guessing they would do some ramp work to widen them at Euclid and widen and reconfigure them at Rt 14.....then like all stadiums like the UC, the Allstate and even Soldier Field, there would be police directing traffic flow and controlling the stoplights. I'm sure they would design the parking for easy access off these two main entrances. It's not brain surgery....guys that design these places usually know the they're doing. Whatever they do, it has to be easier access than fighting through the crazyness called Lake Shore Drive.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
While I know that the Lease must be considered, financially, I still feel that it will have no bearing on the plans if the Bears decide that it is best to move to Arlington.

The reality is that the Bears will hire a team of lawyers to shoot holes in the Lease, and the City will have the choice of letting them out of the Lease completely or negotiating a buyout.
I agree 100% I'm only suggesting that because of the years remaining on the lease they don't have to rush anything, nor do the various groups that would be working on transportation.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
still same fucking problem I have seen in literally every single article about the move...

Who the fuck is going to pay for the new stadium?

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
They can do off-site parking near any Metra station up and down the Pacific Northwest Line and people take the Metra to the stadium. Remember that the Metra currently only runs once every hour on the weekends. They can beef that up to every 15-20 min from OTC and Crystal Lake.

sphinxnole

Liked Posts:
Botfly,
Any Bank because the Bears are worth 4 Billion Dollars. The stadium & land may cost $100 million.
Bears are guaranteed 331 million per year for the life of the new TV deals. Plus all those new revenue streams…