An inside look at the Bears’ interview and hiring of new coach Matt Nagy

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/chicago_bears_matt_nagy/

Matt Nagy spoke with Saints QB Chase Daniel I wonder if this will lead to him as Trubisky's backup.

An endorsement from Chiefs coach Andy Reid carried significant weight for Nagy. But Pace said that many of his references turned out to be mutual friends of Nagy’s — and they typically said the same about them.

“ ‘You guys just fit well together,’ ” Pace said.

Without a direct connection to Pace, Nagy dug around, too. It included speaking with quarterback Chase Daniel, who played for Pace and the Saints.

Good under pressure.

Nagy was outnumbered at the Raphael Hotel, but still felt relaxed. He didn’t have to diagnose plays on a dry-erase board. They just talked. Nagy said the Bears allowed him to be himself.

“We just let it flow,” Nagy said. “That’s the part that I liked. It was very natural.”

His family.

At 3 a.m. Monday, Nagy and his wife, Stacey, woke up their four sons, Brayden, Tate, Jaxon and Jett. It was time to break the news.

“We told them something could be happening and they wanted to woken up if it did,” Nagy said. “So we said, ‘Hey, listen, Dad just got offered the head-coaching job by the Chicago Bears.’ They wanted to know if we moved tomorrow.”