An unlikely scenario, QB's go #1 and #2

TL1961

Liked Posts:
So, a lot of the talking heads and analysts are once again saying that this is a 'Bad QB class' etc. Now, I don't have a crystal ball, and maybe they end up being correct. However, The top 2 teams in this draft have a glaring need at the QB position.

Personally, I love Money Mitch and would be 100% excited about BGW (Big Game Watson). But one thing few people seem to even accept as a *possibility* is that the Browns fall in love with Watson and take him #1 and Shannahan sees a ceiling with Trubisky that is analogous to that of Matt Ryan and they go #1 and #2.

While I would initially be very, very disappointed that we missed out on a potential game changing signal caller, assuming we are able to land an AJ Bouye and Duron Harmon in FA as well as a few other mid tier signings, the good news is we could really build a team that might ultimately only be missing a QB. Our draft could look something like this.

1.) Myles Garrett, OLB/DE, Texas A & M

- Bear in mind, *IF* Garret falls, a team might offer us a pretty insane package to move up from the middle of round 1, where we still could land D Barnett from Tenn. That being said, for the sake of this scenario, I say we stand pat and take a potential game changer book end pass rusher to pair with Floyd.

2.) Budda Baker, S, Washington (OR Peppers if he is still there)
3.) Zay Jones, WR, ECU
4.) Jake Butt, TE, Michigan
4.) Nathan Peterman, QB, Pitt
5.) Kareem Hunt, RB, Toledo
From there, BPA

I guess the question is, would you rather get a decent bounty in FA and the above draft, or would you rather either Watson or Trubisky be available at our #3 pick?

Apparently we pucked up a ton of secondary help in FA in your scenario, because you have us using picks on TE and RB and WR with just one secondary player.

Why pick a RB in the 5th? Or at all?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Even though subjectively I can't get myself on the Kizer bandwagon at this point in the process, I would understand the rationale behind this and ready myself to buy his jersey and go all in with hope :)

I don't understand the rationale of picking a guy, Kizer, at #3 who isn't worth that, simply as reaction to 2 QBs going before 3.

Makes little sense.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't understand the rationale of picking a guy, Kizer, at #3 who isn't worth that, simply as reaction to 2 QBs going before 3.

Makes little sense.

If you were going to pick him anyway even if zero QBs go first, what difference does it make?

Same argument with regards to Watson and Trubisky. If Pace sees franchise potential, I want him to get them regardless of who is or isn't off the board.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
In this scenario they take Garrett or someone gives them a kings ransom for that pick. The Titans may find that scenario very interesting, Morgan and Orakpo are decent players but Orakpos getting up there in age.

Parkway Drive

Liked Posts:
Apparently we pucked up a ton of secondary help in FA in your scenario, because you have us using picks on TE and RB and WR with just one secondary player.

Why pick a RB in the 5th? Or at all?

In the OP I had stated in the 3rd paragraph that in this scenario I was thinking about, we had signed CB AJ Bouye, S Duron Harmon, and other mid tier guys (though I decided not to go into an all-out mock off season for the sake of brevity). So in this scenario, we already added Bouye, Harmon, AND Myles Garret and Budda Baker to the defensive side of the ball before I switched to an offense-centric mock after round 3.

As far as drafting a RB...., outside of Howard we have jack shit. And Howard is a punishing runner playing the most rugged position in the game, and perhaps all of sports- health is never a guarantee at the RB position.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
If you were going to pick him anyway even if zero QBs go first, what difference does it make?

Same argument with regards to Watson and Trubisky. If Pace sees franchise potential, I want him to get them regardless of who is or isn't off the board.

One thing to keep in mind is that it is unlikely that Pace views all 3 QBs as franchise level QBs. He probably likes 1 and maybe 2 enough to draft at 3, but not likely he likes ALL of them over Garrett.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
One thing to keep in mind is that it is unlikely that Pace views all 3 QBs as franchise level QBs.

Agreed. Or at least there are probably one or two that stand out ahead of the other one/two in his eyes.

He probably likes 1 and maybe 2 enough to draft at 3, but not likely he likes ALL of them over Garrett.

Well that's where things get complicated. He might "like" Garrett more but still like a QB a lot and pick him, which would be understandable. If he's 99% sure Garrett will be a pro bowler but has a lower % but still feels very good about the franchise potential of a QB (or two), I would still rather he took the QB simply because of the impact a franchise caliber QB has on a team.

Another thing that seems to be largely overlooked in this last couple of months of draft talk is the fact that QB is not the only position that can bust or be less than expected. There seems to be this assumption that Garrett is a certainty to be Lawrence Taylor and Hooker/Adams are a certainty to be Reed/Lott. This, clearly, isn't so.

I don't see these players as being total busts, but there's EVERY chance that another player later in the round or even in a later round will end up being better than them, or at least relatively close to as good as them whereby taking a QB at #3 isn't necessarily missing out on defensive talent. This is a loaded defensive class and there will be a lot of talent there at 36 and even when they pick at the start of the third round.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Agreed. Or at least there are probably one or two that stand out ahead of the other one/two in his eyes.

Well that's where things get complicated. He might "like" Garrett more but still like a QB a lot and pick him, which would be understandable. If he's 99% sure Garrett will be a pro bowler but has a lower % but still feels very good about the franchise potential of a QB (or two), I would still rather he took the QB simply because of the impact a franchise caliber QB has on a team.

Another thing that seems to be largely overlooked in this last couple of months of draft talk is the fact that QB is not the only position that can bust or be less than expected. There seems to be this assumption that Garrett is a certainty to be Lawrence Taylor and Hooker/Adams are a certainty to be Reed/Lott. This, clearly, isn't so.

I don't see these players as being total busts, but there's EVERY chance that another player later in the round or even in a later round will end up being better than them, or at least relatively close to as good as them whereby taking a QB at #3 isn't necessarily missing out on defensive talent. This is a loaded defensive class and there will be a lot of talent there at 36 and even when they pick at the start of the third round.

From what I have read, Garrett seems to be as close to a certainty as any edge rusher in the last 5 years. The best chance of busting would be an injury. So, if he was a QB, he would be closer to Andrew Luck than Watson.

We will see, all 3 teams do need QBs. It's possible he is there at 3.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
From what I have read, Garrett seems to be as close to a certainty as any edge rusher in the last 5 years. The best chance of busting would be an injury. So, if he was a QB, he would be closer to Andrew Luck than Watson.

Yeah, I fully acknowledge that Garrett is the "safest" pick in the draft. What he isn't is the most important from a positional perspective. There definitely will be one of the top 3 QBs available, and if Pace thinks one of those who are there at #3 are franchise material, I want him to pick the QB even if Garrett is there and he's the best edge rusher prospect in the history of edge rusher prospects.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just when you thought you might be sharing company with a few semi-intelligent football fans, the idea of drafting Kizer instead of Miles Garrett gets thrown around.

You think we're stupid? What about the teams that drafted Watson/Trubisky over Garrett?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Just when you thought you might be sharing company with a few semi-intelligent football fans, the idea of drafting Kizer instead of Miles Garrett gets thrown around.

You think we're stupid? What about the teams that drafted Watson/Trubisky over Garrett?

You guys do realize that if any of Kizer/Watson/Trubisky become franchise QBs, they will be far more important and significant players than Myles Garrett could ever be?

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:

Garrett actually isn't that safe, he is all about potential Most of his production came against basement dwelling programs. Only 3 of his sacks this past season came against SEC competition. 4.5 of his 8.5 sacks on the season came against the mighty UT San Antonio. Look at the careers of Garrett VS Derek Barnett and you will see one guy who elevated his game against premium opponents and it wasn't Garrett.

His potential is immense but he is as likely to bust as any prospect in this draft.

Parkway Drive

Liked Posts:
Honestly, I started this thread because I was bored on lunch at the office; furthermore, I'm fully on the #QBAt3 bandwagon.

However, for shits and giggles- how awesome would this 'win now' off season be if you added to this scenario a signed Tyrod Taylor / Tony Romo and Alshon, whether signed or tagged again?

You add (to an injury screwed roster that had about 6-10 *talent* in '16):

Tyrod Taylor
AJ Bouye
Duron Harmon
Myles Garrett
Budda Baker
Zay Jones
Jake Butt
Keep Alshon
Get Trevathan and Goldman back and K Long...., keep Freeman off the roids, and you have at least a 9-7/10-6 team.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm leaning toward BPA at 3 and Kaaya, or Mahomes later on in the 2nd or 3rd.

I wouldn't be mad at all if we went Fournette at 3, Cam Robinson/Bolles in the 2nd, and Kaaya/Mahomes in the 3rd.

dabears584

Bears Fan For Life TT&T
Liked Posts:
So, a lot of the talking heads and analysts are once again saying that this is a 'Bad QB class' etc. Now, I don't have a crystal ball, and maybe they end up being correct. However, The top 2 teams in this draft have a glaring need at the QB position.

Personally, I love Money Mitch and would be 100% excited about BGW (Big Game Watson). But one thing few people seem to even accept as a *possibility* is that the Browns fall in love with Watson and take him #1 and Shannahan sees a ceiling with Trubisky that is analogous to that of Matt Ryan and they go #1 and #2.

While I would initially be very, very disappointed that we missed out on a potential game changing signal caller, assuming we are able to land an AJ Bouye and Duron Harmon in FA as well as a few other mid tier signings, the good news is we could really build a team that might ultimately only be missing a QB. Our draft could look something like this.

1.) Myles Garrett, OLB/DE, Texas A & M

- Bear in mind, *IF* Garret falls, a team might offer us a pretty insane package to move up from the middle of round 1, where we still could land D Barnett from Tenn. That being said, for the sake of this scenario, I say we stand pat and take a potential game changer book end pass rusher to pair with Floyd.

2.) Budda Baker, S, Washington (OR Peppers if he is still there)
3.) Zay Jones, WR, ECU
4.) Jake Butt, TE, Michigan
4.) Nathan Peterman, QB, Pitt
5.) Kareem Hunt, RB, Toledo
From there, BPA

I guess the question is, would you rather get a decent bounty in FA and the above draft, or would you rather either Watson or Trubisky be available at our #3 pick?

And once again for yet another season not solving the QB dilemma and probably holding onto Cutler for at least another season lol when will it become clear to some people here that 4th or 5th round QB talent isn't going to get us anywhere?

dabears584

Bears Fan For Life TT&T
Liked Posts:
If QBs go one-two, don't you think that Pace would be getting an insanely large amount of unbelievable trade offers from various teams who would probably be wanting to get their hands on Garrett? If that was the case, shouldn't Pace take the best offer and from there pick his QB? Say they go from 3 to 12 and acquire 2 2nd round picks, a 6th they were lacking and a 2018 1st AND get their QB that would be such a great trade. Would you rather draft Kizer/Watson or whoever it may be in the middle of the 1st or Mahomes/Kayaa or whoever it may be at the top of the 2nd?

AussieBear

If QBs go one-two, don't you think that Pace would be getting an insanely large amount of unbelievable trade offers from various teams who would probably be wanting to get their hands on Garrett? If that was the case, shouldn't Pace take the best offer and from there pick his QB? Say they go from 3 to 12 and acquire 2 2nd round picks, a 6th they were lacking and a 2018 1st AND get their QB that would be such a great trade. Would you rather draft Kizer/Watson or whoever it may be in the middle of the 1st or Mahomes/Kayaa or whoever it may be at the top of the 2nd?

if that were the case it would be hard for me to pass up garrett.. but id listen to offers.. we all gotz a price