Andy Dalton - this year Jimmy Graham?

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
What I mean by that is this:

Last offseason, there was massive dick ripping over the Jimmy Graham signing. Lot of people saying he was washed up and couldn't do anything anymore.

And while he never was what he once was, Graham ended up being a very solid signing and very productive for us.

I've been digging into the Dalton details more and more. A lot of what we assume is what we know from afar.

But after digging in, I came out with a very interesting comp....

Andy Dalton projects favorably to Alex Smith before he was broken in half.

I think many people here would be happy if we got Alex Smith were he the Alex Smith pre-injury. Not over the moon mind you, but would feel ok about it.

Dalton isn't as mobile. But he makes the same quick reads as Alex. It's a qb-friendly offense that always has a place for a qb to go with the ball because of scheme ( hence the frustration with Mitch, who processed things too slow to be effective).

I think we are going to be pleasantly surprised by Dalton, now that the Wilson shock is starting to wear off.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He makes way more mistakes than Alex Smith. He gets rattled very easily and struggles under pressure. Once things go south they tend to stay that way, and it happens in prime time games a lot for him.

His best comp imo is a less talented Cutler. He will have some great games but he will totally shit the bed in frustrating ways a bunch.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Think Jimmy Graham is actually a good comparison, in that Dalton will be a serviceable albeit limited player who was decent but probably paid too much.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
I recall the signing of Graham being mocked because of the price tag. Pace overpaid for a guy with little to no market. Same thing he did with Dalton.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If Dalton has a year similar to Grahams we are in the playoffs

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
My son is a Dallas fan and he is pretty well informed.
I asked him what he thought and he said Dalton is "Very middle of the pack" type of guy. He stated that he was not responsible for losing any games, but would rarely blow you away with his ability to carry a team.

The Dallas defense was one of the worse in franchise history, and they were counting on Dak to out score the opponent and ended up with Dalton who is more of a game manager....

I don't think he will be any better than Foles :(

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
My son is a Dallas fan and he is pretty well informed.
I asked him what he thought and he said Dalton is "Very middle of the pack" type of guy. He stated that he was not responsible for losing any games, but would rarely blow you away with his ability to carry a team.

The Dallas defense was one of the worse in franchise history, and they were counting on Dak to out score the opponent and ended up with Dalton who is more of a game manager....

I don't think he will be any better than Foles :(
A QB who’s not responsible for losing any games is an upgrade from Foles.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm just hoping he's not a Glennon comparison. At least this contract is only 1 yr, assuming he's a stop-gap bridge QB for a rookie.

JurisFrog

Liked Posts:
He makes way more mistakes than Alex Smith. He gets rattled very easily and struggles under pressure. Once things go south they tend to stay that way, and it happens in prime time games a lot for him.

His best comp imo is a less talented Cutler. He will have some great games but he will totally shit the bed in frustrating ways a bunch.

Nope. AD is better than Smith and makes fewer mistakes. Smith’s career interception percentage is way higher than Dalton’s and his career TD percentage is way lower than Dalton’s. AD is more reliable and durable too.

look there are obv many QB’s better than AD in this league, but Smith is definitely not one of them. AD is better than Cutler was as well. Dalton has a bigger upside due to accuracy and minimizing mistakes. AD is a second or third-tier QB (depending on OL talent), which is more than the Bears have had in a long time.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Nope. AD is better than Smith and makes fewer mistakes. Smith’s career interception percentage is way higher than Dalton’s and his career TD percentage is way lower than Dalton’s. AD is more reliable and durable too.

look there are obv many QB’s better than AD in this league, but Smith is definitely not one of them. AD is better than Cutler was as well. Dalton has a bigger upside due to accuracy and minimizing mistakes. AD is a second or third-tier QB (depending on OL talent), which is more than the Bears have had in a long time.
No, he's not. He very bad, especially in big games. Bad TD:INT ratio, horrible in big games, all with a HOF receiver and generally solid supporting offensive cast around him.

Dalton int rate: 2.6
Smith int rate: 2.1

So how are you determining that he makes fewer mistakes?

Smith also has a slightly better TD: INT ratio, 18.1 to 1.77.

You obviously are in love with him, and that's fine. But at least don't lie about it, everyone here can look up stats.

JurisFrog

Liked Posts:
Well shoot. You are right about the interception percentage. It is 2.1. I had looked at his 2.9% average at SFO instead of the 2.1% career average. My bad. Dalton is 2.6% career.

However I am right about the touchdown percentage.
Dalton is at 4.6, while Alex Smith is only 3.8%. By the way, Cutler is also a 4.6 touchdowns percentage career, but with a 3.3% interceptions.

Like I’ve been saying, I think it’s wait-and-see at this point. But you all are acting like Andy is dog shit, which is dumb, b/c he’s actually a good QB.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Well shoot. You are right about the interception percentage. It is 2.1. I had looked at his 2.9% average at SFO instead of the 2.1% career average. My bad. Dalton is 2.6% career.

However I am right about the touchdown percentage.
Dalton is at 4.6, while Alex Smith is only 3.8%. By the way, Cutler is also a 4.6 touchdowns percentage career, but with a 3.3% interceptions.

Like I’ve been saying, I think it’s wait-and-see at this point. But you all are acting like Andy is dog shit, which is dumb, b/c he’s actually a good QB.
He's not a good QB. I lived in Cincinnati for several years, he is extremely inconsistent and does not do well in high pressure situations. Once things go downhill in a game, he is gone. And he does have some very good games, but not usually in big ones. Look at his payoff record. Heck, look at his record in prime time games. Atrocious.

He is a very good guy though, and so I respect that you have his back, even if I disagree with your opinion about his game.

JurisFrog

Liked Posts:
No worries dennehy. I get it. I watched all those games too. Honestly I think Cincy has a culture problem that runs very, very deep. I saw big games where AD was doing everything he could, but drops or protection break-downs or other errors made the wheels come off. And to be honest, I saw big games where AD just flat out blew it.

QB's take a lot of credit and a lot of blame, unfairly on both ends. I was so glad to see AD get out of Cincy, you have no idea. Worst culture ever. I am really hoping that the City of Big Shoulders figures out what a good QB they have and gets behind him. There is a lot potential there.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
No worries dennehy. I get it. I watched all those games too. Honestly I think Cincy has a culture problem that runs very, very deep. I saw big games where AD was doing everything he could, but drops or protection break-downs or other errors made the wheels come off. And to be honest, I saw big games where AD just flat out blew it.

QB's take a lot of credit and a lot of blame, unfairly on both ends. I was so glad to see AD get out of Cincy, you have no idea. Worst culture ever. I am really hoping that the City of Big Shoulders figures out what a good QB they have and gets behind him. There is a lot potential there.
I will be rooting for him.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I think Ryan Tannehill is a better comparison.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:

The only way Chicago fans can get behind a middle of the road quarterback like Dalton is to win a shitload of games and be consistent doing it.