Any golfers on here??

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
I shoot in the 70's as well. Usually skip the back nine

I shoot in the 70's too.
If it gets any warmer I go to the 19th hole.

Seriously though, didn't it look like Kaymer may have double hit the ball on that slo-mo replay from the brush?

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have a round tomorrow morning, I hope and pray I can keep my drives straight with a slight draw! My range session today was all over the map, I was nailing 150 with my 8 iron(my favorite club/distance), but the rest was all over the place ... I have to remember to have fun :D

I have a terrible slice spent 2 years trying to get rid of it now I just play that shit and it seems to work better for me ive taken around 20 strokes off my game

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have a terrible slice spent 2 years trying to get rid of it now I just play that shit and it seems to work better for me ive taken around 20 strokes off my game

You likely slice because of an "outside - in" swing path. Next time you go to the range, take your empty basket and place it just above your driver head at address with a ball on a tee. Then slide it directly sideways towards your backswing one basket size. Leave it there and hit the ball on focusing to not hit the basket and going swinging "inside - out".

I used to slice to and that drill cured my slice and added some serious yardage to my shots too :)

I hope that helps!

PS - you can use tees, balls, a shoe box or whatever else ... Just block the ability of your club to go outside/in and force yourself to take an inside path to the ball

Last edited:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I lied. I really shoot in the 50s for nine

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Shot a disappointing 90 today, 2 triples and 4 doubles. I did manage 3 birdie putts = 2 par and 1 bogey(that one really hurt).

I finished double, double, triple ... Oh well, better luck next time I guess.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Went to the range this morning. My first ten hits or so was embarassing because I don't play enough to have muscle memory so I couldn't get my posture and swing down to nail some drives off the tee. After that, it got better, still have slicing issues.

I think it's partly the "outside-in" thing that was mentioned, but it's also partly that I "step into the bucket" on the follow through, which fucks everything up. I had a few really good straight hits though, and those seemed to be more about the swing itself, so I'm not sure.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did some tweaking of my R1 today, switched the side weights to draw mode and closed my face to the 1 out 3 closed position. I was push slicing way too many shots last round, so I went to work on that this morning at the range. I had a disappointing 5 first drive with 3 of them being pushed and sliced 50/70 yards off target(NOT GOOD!!!) and that's when I did some tweaking .... I also moved my ball slightly up in my stance just give my hands more time to get the face properly closed at impact. Results were pretty outstanding and immediately!!! Man, if I can drive like I was at the end of my session, it's gonna be fun round next time!

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Shot a 78 on a par 63 course ... Everything was going right today, not slice right just open face hits, over and over :( Thankfully my short game saved the day from being a disaster .... Back to the range on Thursday and a round in Friday. Golf can be such a bitch sometimes :p

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
OK, hit about 120 balls at the range this morning ... Iron shots seem to be back on track and fairly straight, so hopefully I can keep this up on a tough course tomorrow. My driver however, I might actually leave it home. Changed my launch angle to 10.5 from 9.5 and closed my face completely to level 3. It was going really well for about 20 balls or so, so I put it down to practice 40 balls with wedges inside of 100 yards(went well). So I decided to finish off my last 20 balls with my highly inconsistent driver ... fuck me, I only hit about 5 of them well :(

Here's to hoping I can gain a little more confidence during my warm-up tomorrow morning.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
OK, hit about 120 balls at the range this morning ... Iron shots seem to be back on track and fairly straight, so hopefully I can keep this up on a tough course tomorrow. My driver however, I might actually leave it home. Changed my launch angle to 10.5 from 9.5 and closed my face completely to level 3. It was going really well for about 20 balls or so, so I put it down to practice 40 balls with wedges inside of 100 yards(went well). So I decided to finish off my last 20 balls with my highly inconsistent driver ... fuck me, I only hit about 5 of them well :(

Here's to hoping I can gain a little more confidence during my warm-up tomorrow morning.
Here is a question: what is easier to hit straight a 9 iron or a driver? SHould be the iron because of the loft. So the same hold true for a driver. If you want to hit a driver well increase the loft. I have used 12.5 degree drivers and I'm a single digit handicap player. At 9.5 on your driver you are just making it harder on yourself

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree ommy, but the 9.5 was the "stock" setup, now have it at 10.5 and I'm not against going higher if needed. My mid irons are by far my best clubs on most days, I'm also pretty consistent with my fairway woods, but I am struggling a bit with my long irons and my driver currently.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I tried your advice about the driver loft and moved it all the way to 12 degrees this morning at the range. Overall, not a big difference in distance, except for an obvious higher ball flight. I'm going to play a few rounds with this setup now. I also dialed my entire setup back to neutral with the driver as well. I overhauled my grip this morning, so I'm starting back from scratch as far my R1 goes.

With that said, I was hitting my driver really well with only a handful of bad pushes(I'll take it) and my irons were much improved as well despite hitting a few "thin" balls. When I get into a funk with my swing, I hit them really fat, like 6-10 inches behind the ball. So I'm not too concerned about a few thin ones, as I was concentrating on trying to eliminate those "fat" shots.

This thread is like my own personal golf diary, lol. Any posters that would like to join in?? Golf is a great misstress ;)

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I am hitting the range Friday for the first time with a club in my hands in three years.

RTB, I could never use a driver with that much loft. It would kill me. I struggle now (well three years ago) with my ball height. I use a 10.5 and really want to acquire a 9.5 if I get back into it again.

Also might try a 7 wood and remove my three iron from my bag.

EDIT: Changed 7 iron to 7 wood

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I had one year off and I'm still struggling at regaining form. My biggest problem is trying to play like I did 2-3 years ago rather than just playing what I really shoot now. I'm still trying and tweaking cause I haven't been able to find any consistency, but I feel good about how today went. So fingers crossed for my next round.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As for the loft, it really wasn't that big of a difference and I noticed very little lost yards. That's the cool thing about this driver, a couple spins of the wrench and the loft is changed!

I should add that I tend to hit "down on the ball" and I also do that with my driver swing too. So I bet you I come I at about 10.5 or so with my 12 setting because of the swing.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
So I swung my driver in the yard without a ball. Should have stretched first. Hit my mark all three times now I need to try with a ball. I felt like my club head speed was there but I need to hit a ball first

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
107 at Ruffled Feathers in Lemont. Tough course, never played there before. Thank God I bought those two sleeves before teeing off.

I'll be mid-90s next time I go there.