Article - Chicago Bears: Justin Fields breaks silence, throws shade at team’s culture

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Article - Chicago Bears: Justin Fields breaks silence, throws shade at team’s culture

The article author writes, "Remember, he took a shot at the coaching staff last season when he struggled. He mentioned that the coaching staff did not put him in a good position and tried to change him instead of utilizing his skills. ...
While many will be up in arms about this statement, he was not wrong. Just like what he said about the coaching last season, he was correct. Days after the regular season ended, Poles fired the offensive coaching staff. One of the reasons he gave for offensive coordinator Luke Getsy‘s firing was his inability to utilize the players’ skills."

99% of the time, reality is not "all this or all that" but a mix. This would be the case here with Fields and Getsy. While I agree Getsy didn't use Fields the way I would have -- which would have been Michael Vick on steroids -- that has everything to do with both Fields' limitations and his abilities.

Ideally, you'd want to train Fields to be a fully functional NFL QB, even if you have to suffer through the training. But after 2 years of what Fields is, or where he was... in the "now" NFL, if I was OC, I would have used him as rushing QB.

If that wasn't going to be good enough, then draft a new QB, but at least you used Fields to the hilt.

=======
The article author writes, "However, he (Poles) could have had that new-look offense helmed by Fields. We never got a true indication of what Fields could do since he did not have the talent."

Is it true Williams has a better offensive talent than Fields? Yes, but we did get a 3 yrs look at Fields. Everybody gets the hand their dealt. I think it's "revisionist" and incorrect to say "we never got a true indication" of Fields. Yes, we did.

======
The article author writes, "It is funny that we now hear all these anonymous reports coming out bashing Fields. If that was the case, though, why did Poles make a trade to accommodate Fields if he was such a bad player and teammate? If he was such a bad player and a cancer in the locker room, why reward him?"

Poles can do right by Fields because he wants to keep and attract good players who value being treated respectfully. It doesn't necessarily directly reflect whether or not Fields was fully open to coaching from any coach, or a Super Bowl MVP giving him advice. Fans will likely never know if Fields was fully open or not.

Last edited:

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I get all the reasons to like Mike Tomlin, but 7 straight playoff games with no wins and we would be looking to fire him like they did Lovie

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
That’s not a shot at the Bears.
Agreed, Fields just said the Steelers culture isn't everywhere. He's vocalizing appreciation for what the Steelers do. Taking that as a shot at the Bears seems paranoid or sensational. And what's the context? I'm sure a reporter asked him what he thinks of Steelers' football culture. What's he supposed to say? "It's great, and just as good as the Bears." ?

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they would have used Fields like "Michael Vick on steroids," ppl would complain that the coaches are going to get him killed.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
If they would have used Fields like "Michael Vick on steroids," ppl would complain that the coaches are going to get him killed.
Vick was criminally misused. Then he became a criminal. Then he turned out to be a pretty good QB. Then he just got old.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I get all the reasons to like Mike Tomlin, but 7 straight playoff games with no wins and we would be looking to fire him like they did Lovie
Maybe... hard to say cause Smith went to the playoffs 1 time in his last 6 years.