August 20th news

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
I'm not. Kwiatkowski was fantastic vs the run, terrible in pass defense. I'd give up fantastic run defense for someone who is decent at both (as Trevathan is when he's healthy).
I am not either. But in 2019 Kwit was a beast in run and pass defense. He made a lot of big play including in coverage which contradicted his previous struggles in coverage. In any case he was never proven as a 16 game starter.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
I preferred KPL if they were going to move on from DT as I knew both Trevathan and Kwiatkoski would probably get decent deals and the Bears could get a couple comp picks. This is Roquan’s D as far as I am concerned.

I didn’t mind keeping DT but the contact he signed was terribly structured and too rich. Yet another Pace miscalculation.
I think they made a mistake by not signing KPL as insurance. We had zero competent backups last year and had to bring in Monti Teo, well past his prime, for the playoffs.

Good news is that having Chris Jones and Ogletree is lightyears better. Outside of WR and OL I think the Bears have some really good depth. More than i can remember them having in a long time. Even with the questions on OL, I think we have persons that can step in and not be total shit, which is more than we could say for most seasons in the last 25 years.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I'm not. Kwiatkowski was fantastic vs the run, terrible in pass defense. I'd give up fantastic run defense for someone who is decent at both (as Trevathan is when he's healthy).

No stats remotely back this up. I'm not sure where you are getting your info from.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
No stats remotely back this up. I'm not sure where you are getting your info from.
You are ignoring the white guy with a "consonants that should never touch and 'ski' name" coefficient.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Even in 2019, there was some misconception about Kwit being worse in pass coverage than DT when the stats weren't even remotely close. He was better than him by a mile, Kwit even picked off Aaron Rodgers that season. Bringing back DT wasn't a terrible idea but bringing him back at that contract when it was abundantly clear that his level of play was rapidly declining, along with his injury issues, was one of Pace's biggest blunders. Not to mention that no team was going to sign him for that kind of money as well. DT should be playing for the vet minimum or slightly above it. The team would be lucky that he just gets a season ending injury, unless they don't plan to start him.

Caveroamer

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I understand why we signed Trevathon in the first place. Wasn't he a Fangio guy? in any case, he was younger then. But to re-sign him in 2020 for that contract and length doesn't make sense as a result of his play to me. So I can only assume there are other factors involved besides his play. like team cohesion. I know everyone says these are adults making millions to play a game! man up! But a lot of people just don't "man up" Ever. Under any circumstances. So perhaps Goldman and Hicks or someone else or others are such head cases that they kind of need Trevathon to keep them from going off into wacko land. An older guy who has their respect in the locker room. Maybe DT is the only guy they will actually listen to and stop acting like a manbaby. And if that is the case, perhaps the staff felt it better to keep Trevathon to keep them playing ball right than to lose him and have things go haywire at a time when the defense is in a high-caliber window of play. This is all just speculation of course, and with as much as they ever say to the press it could just as easily be that the field gets invaded by grass-eating gnomes at night and Trevathon is a certified gnome-slayer on the side of playing football... who knows...

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Fans underestimate leadership and chemistry. There is a lot of value to Trevathan despite any decline in athleticism. Coaches are not as dumb as people think.

Trevavathan was obviously hurt at the beginning of last year but he looked pretty good in the second half to me. He should not be covering crossing routs but he reminds me of Briggs later in his career where he is a big body that knows where to be and overcomes speed limitations with knowledge and instincts and packs a thud when he hits.

Would be great to have a younger player, and Kwit was a playmaker in limited time in 2019, but he did miss 4 games last year and has never proven he can take on being a starter every game. I think not resigning KPL last year was a mistake also but i have not thrown Trevathan out in the trash yet as most here have.
They both got paid too much so I'm not crying but Kwiat was the better player. The rest takes care of itself with good coaching. It's no wonder Pagano wanted to keep Trevathan, LOL.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Wrong. According to Pro Football Reference the QB rating against Quan in 19 was 75.9 and 20 was 59.6,

Not using PFR. I am using PFF data. If you want to use PFR then Kwia was 66 and 77.3. DT was 113.5 and 118.4. So the point still stands that Kwia was very good in coverage while DT sucked ass regardless of which source you use.