Bears All-22 coaches film

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is the difference between Monty catching ball with one man to beat and him falling down because Trubs throws it behind him.Screenshot_20190911-130926_Chrome.jpg

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Leno steps out as if it is a run block. Trubs is suppose to sell the RPO which along with Leno stepping out instead of back would have him thinking run. Instead Trubs doesnt even fake to Monty and is already staring at ARob and starting his throw as Monty is coming for the fake. Trubs rushed the play.
Preston Smith maintains the edge on this play in case it's a run. So, he bought it. He does a great job of keeping his eyes on Trubisky and sees that it's not a run. Since he can't get there he reaches up and knocks the ball down. This was a one read play. It was only ever designed to go to A Rob. If Mitch does a better job selling it, Smith still gets his hand up to knock it down. If Mitch hands it off, Smith probably makes the play.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Williams was maybe a step away from him by the time the ball would have arrived. Not to say he couldn't have put it over the top - he could have. But just lofting it out there isn't a guarantee that it's caught. But there was a ton of room on the sideline that Mitch was trowing to.

Clearly not a ton as ARob pushed out. We will agree to disagree. In college Trubs puts that ball in end zone and its a TD. That was his calling card. He us back shouldering when he doesnt have too because he is scared of overthrowing IMO.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Clearly not a ton as ARob pushed out. We will agree to disagree. In college Trubs puts that ball in end zone and its a TD. That was his calling card. He us back shouldering when he doesnt have too because he is scared of overthrowing IMO.
That's possible I guess. But this isn't college. He certainly chose the safe play.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Preston Smith maintains the edge on this play in case it's a run. So, he bought it. He does a great job of keeping his eyes on Trubisky and sees that it's not a run. Since he can't get there he reaches up and knocks the ball down. This was a one read play. It was only ever designed to go to A Rob. If Mitch does a better job selling it, Smith still gets his hand up to knock it down. If Mitch hands it off, Smith probably makes the play.

If Trubs sells it. Preston doesnt step right because he will freeze as he tries and determine if it is run or pass.

Also the run is going up the middle so no he cant make the play if it is a run.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That's possible I guess. But this isn't college. He certainly chose the safe play.

The point is his rep was hitting guys in stride which he rarely does these days.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is the Gabriel play. Has his guy beat. Alll Trubs has to do is throw to the area Gabs is running to. Instead he throws it high forcing the 5-8 Gabs to try and jump and catch it. Incomplete. I mean look the point of a Gabs, Miller or Cohen is to get them the ball so they can get RAC.

Screenshot_20190911-132353_Chrome.jpg

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
If Trubs sells it. Preston doesnt step right because he will freeze as he tries and determine if it is run or pass.

Also the run is going up the middle so no he cant make the play if it is a run.
Lol no, he was playing to contain the run. It's why he's not making a cut in to pressure Mitch. Also, if he cuts in and it's a handoff it gives the RB a chance to bounce it to the outside for a massive gain, which would be semi demoralizing.

And about the run, the only conceivable hole would have been through Smith's side as any run would probably be a loss. So, in thar situation, I'm guessing he tries to bounce it out. Regardless, the best result no matter what is a 0-1 yard play. It's a great defensive play and a terrible play call offensively.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And this is the one where Gabs has 3 yards on dude. Trubs scrambles is set but severely underthrows casing Gabs to push off and instead of a TD its offensive pass interference.

Screenshot_20190911-132911_Chrome.jpg

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bah. Mitch sucked.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Montgomery was a pass that needed to be better there was YAC there.

Gabriel 1 is a drop that is a fine throw to the far hash.

Gabriel 2 is on the oline, he gets hit by 2 defenders, barely gets out of the pocket, barely gets his feet set and heaves it downfield. That is an underthrow if he is able to set his feet in the pocket but he is hit almost immediatley as the play starts.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lol no, he bit run. It's why he's not making a cut in to pressure Mitch. Also, if he cuts in and it's a handoff it gives the RB a chance to bounce it to the outside for a massive gain, which would be semi demoralizing.

And about the run, the only conceivable hole would have been through Smith's side as any run would probably be a loss. So, in thar situation, I'm guessing he tries to bounce it out. Regardless, the best result no matter what is a 0-1 yard play. It's a great defensive play and a terrible play call offensively.

No he did not. Trubs is already in his throwing motion when looks into backfield. That is why he drops back. The fake is never executed as Trubs is throwing as Monty comes up to him.1568056256163.jpg

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Gabriel 2 is on the oline, he gets hit by 2 defenders, barely gets out of the pocket, barely gets his feet set and heaves it downfield. That is an underthrow if he is able to set his feet in the pocket but he is hit almost immediatley as the play starts.

On this one he probably should have thrown it sooner.

MadeinChicago

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. LSU Tigers
How about if he steps into the throw...he hits the WR in stride and he never has to come back to the ball so much. Possible TD then no? Hey but since its #12, this was all pre-ordained and above scrutiny

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

He has his feet set once he gets away from initial pressure. He simply underthrows it. OL was terrible at start of play but the below is a QB in fine throwing position. He simply underthrows it period.

Screenshot_20190911-133842_Chrome.jpg

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
No he did not. Trubs is already in his throwing motion when looks into backfield. That is why he drops back.
No, he's playing contain. This is all about fundamentals. If he thinks it's pass and tries to get a solid pass rush, that's a big gain no matter what. If he gets pressure, Mitch scrambles outside. If he doesn't, easy completion. If it's a run, Monty probably bounces it out for a gain. If he plays fundamental, which means keeping his outside shoulder outside of the tackles outside shoulder and watching the play develop the best outcome for that offensive play call based on the defense called is probably what you saw.

I really don't know why you think if he thinks it's a run he's gonna choose to give up the edge. It's assinine. He's not gonna move more in because his outside shoulder is inside the tackles and it's game over. He doesn't float right because he watches Mitch's eyes he does it to keep his position. Not to be repetitive, but if he does that, there's no play to be made. The only reason to do that would be if he thinks it's pass and he is going after the QB.

To understand the reality, ask yourself these questions:

If he gives up his outside shoulder and:

-its a pass what's the result
-its a run what's the result

If he maintains his positioning and:

- it's a pass what's the result
- it's a run what's the result

I think the answer comes down to good fundamentals.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No, he's playing contain. This is all about fundamentals. If he thinks it's pass and tries to get a solid pass rush, that's a big gain no matter what. If he gets pressure, Mitch scrambles outside. If he doesn't, easy completion. If it's a run, Monty probably bounces it out for a gain. If he plays fundamental, which means keeping his outside shoulder outside of the tackles outside shoulder and watching the play develop the best outcome for that offensive play call based on the defense called is probably what you saw.

I really don't know why you think if he thinks it's a run he's gonna choose to give up the edge. It's assinine. He's not gonna move more in because his outside shoulder is inside the tackles and it's game over. He doesn't float right because he watches Mitch's eyes he does it to keep his position. Not to be repetitive, but if he does that, there's no play to be made. The only reason to do that would be if he thinks it's pass and he is going after the QB.

To understand the reality, ask yourself these questions:

If he gives up his outside shoulder and:

-its a pass what's the result
-its a run what's the result

If he maintains his positioning and:

- it's a pass what's the result
- it's a run what's the result

I think the answer comes down to good fundamentals.

Missing the point. I am not saying he gives up the edge. I am saying he disengages and moves right early because he sees Trubs throwing motion.

If at that moment he saw Trubs faking a handoff he does not disengage and move right.

A play fake is designed to freeze the defender for a split second not cause him to abandon his responsibilties completely.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Missing the point. I am not saying he gives up the edge. I am saying he disengages and moves right early because he sees Trubs throwing motion.

If at that moment he saw Trubs faking a handoff he does not disengage and move right.

A play fake is designed to freeze the defender for a split second not cause him to abandon his responsibilties completely.
I'm not missing the point. If he doesn't "disengage and move right" he's lost the edge. His job on that play is to contain the edge. That's it. That's the point. There's no ifs ands or buts that change that.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm not missing the point. If he doesn't "disengage and move right" he's lost the edge. His job on that play is to contain the edge. That's it. That's the point. There's no ifs ands or buts that change that.

No he isnt going to lose the edge as Leno is not trying to take the edge.

Let me ask you why do you think the play was designed to include Monty faking a run and in that screenshot did Trubs execute the fake?