Bears' Briggs on Cushing: Cheaters rarely prosper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liked Posts:
By Vaughn McClure

Lance Briggs hopes to earn All-Pro status for the fourth time with a strong 2010 season. How he made the '09 squad doesn't much matter to him now.

Briggs replaced Houston Texans rookie Brian Cushing as second-team All-Pro at outside linebacker after Cushing was suspended for testing positive for using a performance-enhancing drug. Associated Press writers had a revote in May, and Briggs and Steelers linebackers James Harrison tied for the second-team spot after Cushing's misstep.

"Cheaters rarely prosper," Briggs told the Tribune, referring to Cushing. "I don't know what the whole deal was, but I just know he did things you ain't supposed to do."

Teammate Brian Urlacher felt the same way about Cushing and wondered why the rookie played a full season if he tested positive the first month of the season. Urlacher went on to say Briggs deserved to be named All-Pro in the first place.

"Five years from now, 10 years from now, all they're going to seefor me is All-Pro," Briggs said. "Yeah, it makes me feel good. Itshould make me, Lovie (Smith), Jerry Angelo, Ted Phillips, and thewhole upstairs ... Cliff Stein ... we're all happy."

Cushing kept his defensive rookie of the year honor despite arevote. Many thought Bills safety Jarius Byrd, son of Bears assistantGill Byrd, deserved the honor.

"Well, all I can say is my son had an excellent year and I'm proudof him," the elder Byrd said. "Whether he's rookie of the year (byvote) or not, he's still my rookie of the year. The voters voted likethey thought was best, even in the re-vote, and we accept that. I justknow he had a great year.

"He wasn't hurt by the decision. He really felt when there was a revote that Cushing would get it again."

Byrd gets to see his son in action when the Bears take on the Bills in Toronto on Nov. 7.

More...

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
The AP voters didn't want to change their votes, so he kept the award. It's IMO likely what's gonna happen w/ Reggie's Heisman trophy

Saluki

Liked Posts:
The AP voters didn't want to change their votes, so he kept the award. It's IMO likely what's gonna happen w/ Reggie's Heisman trophy

He'll prob keep it, but it's not a comparable situation. Cushing took Performance Enhancing Drugs of some sort, something that would make him preform better. Not really the same as Bush's parents taking a car as a gift or whatever they did, didn't make him run better or faster.

MRN

MRNeverwearthesamething
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bush deserves the heisman, he wasn't a cheater. Cushing was, way different IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.