Bears' Briggs would welcome 18-game season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liked Posts:
briggsprobowl.jpg

Lance Briggs pressures Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers. (Jose M. Osorio/Tribune)

By Fred Mitchell

Bears Pro Bowl linebacker Lance Briggs says he is in favor of the idea of an 18-game regular-season schedule that currently is being discussed by NFL and union officials.

"I'll take an 18-game schedule over four preseason games where we all get paid $1,100 a game," Briggs told the Tribune. "Yes, absolutely, I think that players who are going out there are under-compensated for the work that we put out there on the field in the preseason. But it is going to change the dynamics of the way (regular-season) games are played.

"Once a team (qualifies) for the playoffs, or they are a lock to establish home-field advantage throughout, coaches will have to make some different decisions about resting players or getting ready for the playoffs," said Briggs.

"I think there are more positives to (an 18-game schedule) than there are negatives. But in order for that to happen, it is going to change some of the dynamics of how we play, or how our coaches choose to coach these guys."

Briggs agrees that most decisions made in the business of sports are determined by what works best for all parties concerned financially.

"We like money," Briggs said with a laugh.

A key to improving the Bears this season will be resurrecting the defense under new defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli.

"My best definition of Marinelli is that he is a tough SOB," said Briggs. "He is the kind of guy you want to play for. We want to get back to who we are. We have to become who we are, because we are not the team that went to the Super Bowl. We are a different team with a different makeup. We have a different attitude and it's going to take a new attitude for us to be successful.

"The goal for us is to get back to being the real Monsters of the Midway. In order to do that, you have to have an attitude and a way about yourselves. When we step out on the field we have to understand that we're not giving up yards or touchdowns. We're taking the ball away and we're scoring."

Through urban retailer DTLR, Briggs will be hosting a free football camp Saturday at Eckersall Stadium (2423 82nd Street, Chicago) for students in grades 8-12. Pre-registration is available at here. Growing up in Sacramento, Briggs said his family could not afford to send him to a football camp.

"It's a camp where they can learn the skills of football, fundamentals and techniques. It's also a camp for kids that can't afford to go to an expensive football camp," said Briggs. "What's more affordable than free?"

More...

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
LOL @ we like more money.

I'm surprised the Bears would be for this idea. I guess they'd rather go 6-12

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Considering their injury plagues seasons since the SB, it could end up real bad. With that being said Briggs is the man and the more football the better.

y2chae

Liked Posts:
No way the NFLPA lets this happen without more money coming to the players. This talk is probably all for nothing as a strike looms in 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.