Donator
Liked Posts:
They were just announced:

DL Julius Peppers
LB Brian Urlacher
QB Jay Cutler
C Olin Kruetz
LS Pat Mannelly

I know it's not big but oh well. Thoughts?

Livewire

Liked Posts:
They were just announced:

DL Julius Peppers
LB Brian Urlacher
QB Jay Cutler
C Olin Kruetz
LS Pat Mannelly

I know it's not big but oh well. Thoughts?

Peppers is a captain? He just walks around with a huge smile on his face because of the enormous contract he scored this off season and knows he does not have to work that hard for a few year until it expires.

Briggs should be a captain, he is our only consistent good player... and you lead by example not with your yapper.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Peppers did get a big contract but could be voided and that contract looks small then. If they really hated him, they could do that and they won that signing then. The captains are from every position; Cuther for QB, RB and WR, Peppers for DL (I think Oguleye or Brown was the DL captain last year), Kruetz for OL, Urlacher for LB (He's always LB captain and they won't take that away from him) and Mannelly for ST.

Last edited:

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Peppers is a quiet leader, even his former Panthers teammates agree w/ that

Lefty

Liked Posts:
In the end, it doesn't really matter who the captains are, it's a non-issue. Though I will say that it is pretty embarrassing to be a fan of an organization that so highly touts their long snapper.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
In the end, it doesn't really matter who the captains are, it's a non-issue. Though I will say that it is pretty embarrassing to be a fan of an organization that so highly touts their long snapper.
Why? Having a reliable long-snapper is really important. When the Steelers lost their LS two seasons ago and had James Harrison long snap, it wasn't pretty. The Bengals had an unreliable LS and it cost them points.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Then don't go be a fan of the Redskins or Browns either.

So having a long snapper who is tied with seniority on your team and a leader is dumb because he does the one job that he is to do excellent.

Nothing on that list is shocking. If any name was surprising your kinda out there overthinking it or clueless.Briggs isn't a captain guy he is the effective but present individualist. Besides even in general you don't put two captains on of the same position area.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
Peppers did get a big contract but could be voided and that contract looks small then. If they really hated him, they could do that and they won that signing then. The captains are from every position; Cuther for QB, RB and WR, Peppers for DL (I think Oguleye or Brown was the DL captain last year), Kruetz for OL, Urlacher for LB (He's always LB captain and they won't take that away from him) and Mannelly for ST.

Yeah 'Wale was the DL captain last year. We'll see if Peppers earns it...

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:

No. Because we recognize people who do their job correctly. Chicago is the only team that comes to mind with special teams recognition before Percy Harvin, Reggie Bush, or Eddie Royal. And we relied on stops on special teams, turnovers at times, and punt/kick returns in general. Nobody else has.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
No. Because we recognize people who do their job correctly. Chicago is the only team that comes to mind with special teams recognition before Percy Harvin, Reggie Bush, or Eddie Royal. And we relied on stops on special teams, turnovers at times, and punt/kick returns in general. Nobody else has.

That is not true. Done that and been a successful team in part because if it is something solely apart of the Bears but teams like the Browns have been all special teams demanding. It goes beyond Josh Cribbs by a lot too.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Guys, he's a long snapper. I mean, it's great that he does his job well and he has been able to have such a long career, but he's still just a fucking long snapper. Doesn't it embarrass you that the team you root for has been touting their long snapper for years as one of their "best players"? Come on.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Guys, he's a long snapper. I mean, it's great that he does his job well and he has been able to have such a long career, but he's still just a fucking long snapper. Doesn't it embarrass you that the team you root for has been touting their long snapper for years as one of their "best players"? Come on.
Well, I think we saw in one preseason game just how important the long snapper is to this team.

Lefty

Liked Posts:

Actually, the Bears have ranked 1st, 26th, 26th in the NFL in opponents' avg kick return yards from 2007-2009, and 3rd, 2nd, 14th in opponents' avg punt return yards in that same time span. So really, their special teams coverage has been all over the place in recent years, with as many decidedly average/below-average seasons as they have had above-average ones.

Also, doesn't the fact that your team has had no choice but to rely on special teams so heavily to eek out winning seasons (or just plain old wins) make you feel embarrassed of being a fan of that organization?

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Well, I think we saw in one preseason game just how important the long snapper is to this team.

That's not the point. Every team has a guy that is better than most at snapping the ball on ST, and almost every team would be lost without the one guy they have on their roster to do just that, so what? The point is that for years this organization has had to tout their long snapper as one of the best in the business because their teams/players on the other game-phases have been so god-awful at football.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
That's not the point. Every team has a guy that is better than most at snapping the ball on ST, and almost every team would be lost without the one guy they have on their roster to do just that, so what? The point is that for years this organization has had to tout their long snapper as one of the best in the business because their teams/players on the other game-phases have been so god-awful at football.
Well, if I'm not mistaken he is also their player rep for the union.....so despite the fact that he is just a long snapper he may also have the respect of the locker room.

I'm not sure how they Bears choose their captains, but if he is a respected member of the team, I don't see how that is anything out of the ordinary.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
And this isn't about him being named a team captain, as I said before, that is a non-issue. However, what I am sick of and embarrassed by is the praise heaped on Mannelly by the organization, the media and the fans. This undying love for a fucking long snapper is Chicago Meatballism at its finest.

Livewire

Liked Posts:

Desmond Clark is not a long snapper. That would be like seeing Robbie Gould play quarterback and after seeing him play miserably bring up the point that the quarterback position is an important one.

Either you have a competent long snapper or you don't. There really is not a difference in talent between long snappers, I mean there is if you really examined the position hard enough but it is irrelevant. Pretty much every team has a player that can long snap and that is all you need. It is not like Quarterback where you can say you need an elite long snapper to win a Superbowl.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
He's known to be their backup long snapper. So I'd say that yes, he is.

Livewire

Liked Posts:
And this isn't about him being named a team captain, as I said before, that is a non-issue. However, what I am sick of and embarrassed by is the praise heaped on Mannelly by the organization, the media and the fans. This undying love for a fucking long snapper is Chicago Meatballism at its finest.

It shows how pathetic our team has been in recent years. Outside of Lance Briggs the only other player to consistently play at a very high level has been Mannelly, when you can point something like that out you know shit if fucked up.

Livewire

Liked Posts:
He's known to be their backup long snapper. So I'd say that yes, he is.

Ok but it is not like he is a long snapper, he is a tight end. Teams do not carry multiple long snappers in case of injuries, it would be a waste of a roster spot except in the very very rare occurrence.

Status
Not open for further replies.