CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
And this isn't about him being named a team captain, as I said before, that is a non-issue. However, what I am sick of and embarrassed by is the praise heaped on Mannelly by the organization, the media and the fans. This undying love for a fucking long snapper is Chicago Meatballism at its finest.

I wouldn't call it undying love, however I am very appreciative to have a solid long snapper. As evidenced earlier in the thread, we saw what happened when he was injured. That isn't to say some no-name schlub couldn't do the job over him.

Personally I think it's good that we have a little bit of every part of the team represented.

Offense/Defense/Special Teams.

I would say Chicago Meatballism would be praising Julius Peppers as the best DE of all-time since he came on the Bears.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
I think you're confusing "Chicago Meatballs" with "stupid Chicagoans", they aren't mutually exclusive.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think you're confusing "Chicago Meatballs" with "stupid Chicagoans", they aren't mutually exclusive.

Fuck. This I did not know. I think Rush and I missed the vocabulary lesson. When was it?

Lefty

Liked Posts:
I think dew started a thread about it.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Clark is still the backup longsnapper and his level there is what you'd see if Mannerly went down in a game.

Captains are voted on by the players like always for the Bears. And it's a dumb unwritten rule like hazing where you don't ever not vote a guy who still is there who was the captain before.

Idk if I agree Lefty because I've not walked around hearing mad Mannerly love. I actually saw so many meatballers the past 2-3 years on equal ground saying it's time to let him go and cut him because he is old and they think a longsnapper needs to cover and make Tim Shaw tackles.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I think the effusive praise for Mannelly is well-deserved. I cannot recall any kind of special teams snap mistakes in the last 15 years, and that's because of him. Remember Trey Junkin?

I don't think the guy gets overhyped. If people mention his name, they talk about how good he is, then they move on. I don't think Mannelly's skills are talked about all that much. I think people were just reminded of his presence in the preseason game. Most Bears fans won't be able to name our long snapper by week 8.

And just to pile on my love for Mannelly: I saw a video of him snapping the ball from the 10-yard line, and he was able to hit the crossbar of the uprights 10 consecutive times. He's that good.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Lefty - you seem to have a lot of anger...

this is a pointless thread, tho...or at least the direction it went in.

Anybody bitching about the role, importance, or greatness of the LS (on either side) is just looking for a pissing match anyway.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think the effusive praise for Mannelly is well-deserved. I cannot recall any kind of special teams snap mistakes in the last 15 years, and that's because of him. Remember Trey Junkin?

I don't think the guy gets overhyped. If people mention his name, they talk about how good he is, then they move on. I don't think Mannelly's skills are talked about all that much. I think people were just reminded of his presence in the preseason game. Most Bears fans won't be able to name our long snapper by week 8.

And just to pile on my love for Mannelly: I saw a video of him snapping the ball from the 10-yard line, and he was able to hit the crossbar of the uprights 10 consecutive times. He's that good.

holy crap - find that vid...

Status
Not open for further replies.