Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I dont know why Haugh is jumping the boat on this already. As needs to keep being stated over and over again...We're only 2 games in.

I figured Martz was done head coaching in the NFL after what happened in St. Louis and then how he wasnt successful in SF and Det...The thing is what Martz wants...If the vacancy is with a team that has no franchise QB and a good RB...his system fails. Martz made Jon Kitna a much better QB by inflating his numbers than Kitna is...but in SF he got no where.

I guess we'll just wait and see what happens. If we make the playoffs the coaching staff is staying another year. If we falter on defense but are good on offense, I could see Martz staying, but that could conflict with whatever new coach they hire.

Rex Jaybels

Liked Posts:
I dont know why Haugh is jumping the boat on this already. As needs to keep being stated over and over again...We're only 2 games in.

I guess we'll just wait and see what happens. If we make the playoffs the coaching staff is staying another year. If we falter on defense but are good on offense, I could see Martz staying, but that could conflict with whatever new coach they hire.

Definitely early, agreed there. I think the one thing to think about though is if they succeed to any degree, make the playoffs or whatever, I think the likelihood that Martz stays as an OC is small.The offers will come for HC jobs.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Only 2 games in, so it's just speculation but I would love to see him replace Lovie.

I think Martz is MUCH more valuable to us then Lovie is.

Veritas

Liked Posts:
Definitely early, agreed there. I think the one thing to think about though is if they succeed to any degree, make the playoffs or whatever, I think the likelihood that Martz stays as an OC is small.The offers will come for HC jobs.

Even if we lead the NFL in offense this season Mike Martz would find it very hard to find a head coaching job in the NFL. Number one there is the possibility of a lock-out so a lot of teams will not be looking to pay for two head coaches. Also there are much better candidates that have had more than than the limited success Martz has had over the last few years.

Leslie Frazier, Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden, Mike Zimmer, Pat Shurmur, Gregg Williams are just a few names that have a much better shot at securing a HC vacancy next off season. Also I am sure I left a few names off that list.

Also add to the fact that the new hot trend is to hire young position coaches on the cheap that owners believe can do the job, i.e. Mike Tomlin.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Agreed with Veritas, however you know if he has success, ESPN will be force feeding his name down our throats.

If they make the playoffs some dumbass team will try to reach on him.

Cover3

wat
Liked Posts:
Agreed with Veritas, however you know if he has success, ESPN will be force feeding his name down our throats.

If they make the playoffs some dumbass team will try to reach on him.

Yea I HATE when they do that.. f***i*g Idiots

but still, I hope he won't just bolt out to the first HC spot he's being offered (if it's the case)

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
Martz is much more valuable to us than Lovie in my opinion & you make some good points. However, this ship could tank quite quickly...

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
Isn't this what most coordinators try to attain?

Good for him if he wants a HC job; although he may have to leave anyway if enough meat heads cry loud enough for a running game if the air attack falls flat on its ass in the winter months - Bear Weather!!!

Rex Jaybels

Liked Posts:
Even if we lead the NFL in offense this season Mike Martz would find it very hard to find a head coaching job in the NFL. Number one there is the possibility of a lock-out so a lot of teams will not be looking to pay for two head coaches. Also there are much better candidates that have had more than than the limited success Martz has had over the last few years.

Leslie Frazier, Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden, Mike Zimmer, Pat Shurmur, Gregg Williams are just a few names that have a much better shot at securing a HC vacancy next off season. Also I am sure I left a few names off that list.

Also add to the fact that the new hot trend is to hire young position coaches on the cheap that owners believe can do the job, i.e. Mike Tomlin.

It's not just about leading the league in offense. What Martz would offer, if the Bears have success, is a quick turn around. You don't think that would be intriguing to guys like Jerry Jones, who are possibly watching a talented QB on Romo struggle through a season in which the Super Bowl is held in the home stadium?

This is a league where your fortunes can change in a year, and if Martz proves that he can offer that, he becomes a viable candidate.

To dismiss this possibility is ridiculous. And to answer your question about paying to head coaches: Why would the Bears do exactly that with Lovie and Martz?

Veritas

Liked Posts:
To dismiss this possibility is ridiculous. And to answer your question about paying to head coaches: Why would the Bears do exactly that with Lovie and Martz?

Mike Martz is not paid as a head coach, his salary does not come close to Lovie's. The Bears are not paying two head coaches, and with the possibility of a lockout they certainly wont pay two head coaches not to coach.

You're calling Mike Martz a top head coach candidate based on two weeks of work while there are others like Frazier and Williams who have been far more successful over the last 5 years. Also keep in mind Jack Del Rio and John Fox might be on the market for a job at the end of the season... based on the people I listed in both posts you actually think Martz is in line for a HC job based off two weeks of work? You're the one being ridiculous.

Rex Jaybels

Liked Posts:
Mike Martz is not paid as a head coach, his salary does not come close to Lovie's. The Bears are not paying two head coaches, and with the possibility of a lockout they certainly wont pay two head coaches not to coach.

You're calling Mike Martz a top head coach candidate based on two weeks of work while there are others like Frazier and Williams who have been far more successful over the last 5 years. Also keep in mind Jack Del Rio and John Fox might be on the market for a job at the end of the season... based on the people I listed in both posts you actually think Martz is in line for a HC job based off two weeks of work? You're the one being ridiculous.

What I posed was a question about Martz. I prefaced it by saying that it is only two weeks of work and that there needs to be more shown. However, if this is successful, there could be a situation where Martz could be become a hot candidate, because the NFL is all about quick turn around.

The way the NFL is set up a team can make a quick transformation from bad to good in one year and teams will look to anyone they can to make that happen.

I don't disagree with the names you listed, but the Bears themselves are in an interesting position where they could lose the guy that turned them around because he could once again be the next hot thing.

If you think he won't be considered for a HC job should the Bears make the playoffs, we'll have to agree to disagree.

My question was simply this: what will the Bears do should another team come calling for Martz? Will they keep him or Lovie? What if they fail but the offense is not the reason? Do they fire everyone? It is an interesting situation.

Rex Jaybels

Liked Posts:

I was talking about next year and the hypothetical.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Martz may not be in the point of his career where he wants to be a head coach anymore. Maybe he just wants to coach offense, and the question before you ask should they do something stupid in theory would be does anyone want him as a head coach. Yes teams could want him as an OC if somehow they fire him even if the offense is good because they clean house entirely, but his history of overbearing and wanting to control is not set up for a head coaching spot, he is a good oc and just OC.

Rex Jaybels

Liked Posts:
Martz may not be in the point of his career where he wants to be a head coach anymore. Maybe he just wants to coach offense, and the question before you ask should they do something stupid in theory would be does anyone want him as a head coach. Yes teams could want him as an OC if somehow they fire him even if the offense is good because they clean house entirely, but his history of overbearing and wanting to control is not set up for a head coaching spot, he is a good oc and just OC.

You're right, I don't know if anyone want's him. It sure seemed that way this off-season. The fact that there has been only two weeks of play, makes it all the more likely that at this point it's not the case.

Haugh just made some interesting observations and it made me think of what an interesting end of the season it could be if it all works or if only parts of this work. If none of it works, they are all gone, that we know.

Also, I think his history makes him less of a fit for an OC job. To demand all that control is something that puts him at odds with his head coaches.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Even the theory Haugh speaks about with cleaning house and firing him could be less direct... maybe the Bears realize, hey we have two very good offensive coaches in Tice and Martz. If the team falters down the line but the offense still looks pretty good for the most of the year.

It may be too smart for the McKaskies to do, especially could be too hard if they wanted to fire JA and Ted Phillips too so who knows if it's possible.. Denver's owner claimed he was gonna do that for Jay but suddenly when McDainel's lied and fired the QB coach Jay was not too pleased.. and that was clearly not a pleasant outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.