Bears Expect Gabriel to be More Than a Gimmick

Washington

Liked Posts:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-taylor-gabriel-mike-furrey-20180602-story.html

Bears wide receivers coach Mike Furrey’s first impression of Taylor Gabriel was about what you would expect of a player nicknamed “Turbo.”

“He can run,” Furrey said. “He sure can run.”

But Furrey has more expectations than that for the player the Bears signed to a four-year, $26 million contract, with $14 million guaranteed, this offseason. He sees a “great opportunity” ahead for Gabriel in his fifth NFL season.

Bears general manager Ryan Pace called Gabriel “an explosive, electric player that you can use in a variety of ways” upon introducing the free-agent in March following two seasons each with the Browns and Falcons.

Playing alongside Falcons receivers Julio Jones and Mohamed Sanu, Gabriel combined for 68 catches for 957 yards and seven touchdowns the last two seasons. He had nine catches for 171 yards in three playoff games on the 2016 Falcons’ run to the Super Bowl, though his production declined in 2017 when former Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan became the head coach of the 49ers.

Furrey wants to see the 27-year-old Gabriel use that experience to become the example for a receivers group that was boosted by free-agent addition Allen Robinson and second-round draft pick Anthony Miller and includes returnees Kevin White and Josh Bellamy. Furrey said becoming that leader can be a “huge transition in your career.”

“People are watching you now, so you can’t take things off, you can’t take plays off,” Furrey said. “You have to be the example. You have to set that bar for people. You have to push our room instead of being in the wagon of the room. We’re working on that. That’s a work in progress. He sees it. He knows it.”

While playing behind Jones for two seasons, Gabriel learned about the preparation it takes to be a top receiver. He’ll keep that in mind as he operates within a receiving corps he said should thrive off competition.

“The way (Jones) prepared and he came out to practice, it was unreal,” Gabriel said. “To be that type of high-caliber wide receiver, you don’t think he’d come out to practice and bust his butt every day. That was one thing I took into consideration and really consumed, going out there every day and being the best.”

When Gabriel was introduced at Halas Hall, he said one of the draws of joining the Bears was his expectations for new coach Matt Nagy’s offense. After the Bears’ third week of organized team activities, Gabriel started to get a feel for how the offense and quarterback Mitch Trubisky will operate.

He used the word “excited” about both.

“Just coming from Matt Ryan, that type of high-tier quarterback, and coming here, just to see the development of (Trubisky) and the growth and the leadership, it’s surprising,” Gabriel said. “It’s exciting to go out there and watch him go through his reads, not just stay locked into one receiver. I’m excited, man.”

Meanwhile, the Bears also are getting a better feel for Gabriel.

Nagy said that while Gabriel might have a label of “gadget” player because of his speed and his 5-foot-8, 165-pound size, the Bears expect more from him. And so far he has absorbed what they have thrown his way.

“He's able to do a lot of things we’ve done in the past, with jet motions and quick screens and some of the (run-pass option) stuff,” Nagy said. “But what I'm happy with … is he has taken to the teaching that we’re giving him. This isn’t something where he’s coming in and just trying to do his own thing at all. He’s coming in here, he’s listening to how we’re teaching and he’s trying to get better every day.”

Nagy was asked about using Gabriel and 5-foot-6 running back Tarik Cohen at the same time and said he’s ready to do what the situation dictates.

“I just think you put the best football players out there for that personnel group, for scheme, and for the play that we have,” Nagy said. “You can’t live in it. You can’t live with three huge receivers in there either, in my opinion. We like to be able to have some flexibility in what we do. What that does is to force the defense to change up now a little bit personnel wise.”

Furrey is eager to see how Gabriel’s role develops on and off the field.

“Once we get closer to training camp, and once he learns our system and knows exactly what we should do and be able to apply it to what he’s done in the past … I’m really intrigued to see how far he’ll go,” Furrey said. “I don’t think he’s at his ceiling yet, and I think that’s what’s interesting.”

ckane@chicagotribune.com

oober

Liked Posts:
Furrey is going to be a good coach, those couple of yrs with the Lions from where he came from was pretty amazing...

BearDownZZ

Liked Posts:
I like players in Gabriels situation. He was on a team with a good QB and very good WR's, so his play time was generally lower due to seniority rather than sucking at football.

A similar player, Emmanuel Sanders, was the #3 behind some good WR's in Pittsburgh. When he came to Denver as a free agent he got the opportunity and it resulted in multiple 1000 yard seasons.

I'm not saying Gabriel will do that, but that would be the hope. Same with Burton.

Always looking for free agents that are ascending, but play behind top players (Jones, Ertz) then they that are better when they here, like Akiem Hicks.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pace likely also got some good info on him from his buddy that knew he couldn't keep him.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The way I see it is Gabriel is an elite gadget player.

When we start asking Burton to be 6'6" Kelce/Ertz with long arms, Gabriel to be a complete #2, White to be comeback player of the year...etc...I think that is the kool-aid and hype machine. We have enough guys to just let them be them. Let them do their part.

Gabriel might not be the perfect #2, and White might not be ready for that load, but together I think they are fine.
Miller is a massive upgrade in the slot from any slot WR the bears have had in a decade besides Marshal who excelled there at every stop in his career due to size/strength, but wouldn't fit there in this offense except his early Denver days before Cutty left when he was a YAC machine.

Burton has upside to go with leadership, and a 2nd round draft pick with ideal red zone and possession size to compliment him.

For the first time it looks like Pace planned and assembled a "TEAM." The guy ahead, behind, left, right of you compliments you, does something well you struggle at, etc.

This team is special and I'm rooting for them to stay off hard knocks and just elevate to a 11-5 season where we can't get snubbbed from the playoffs.

Beating Green Bay and Detroit with a little luck and injury bug is not totally insane anymore.

We have to give the division opponents hell and let the chips fall, if its a Hard Knocks momentum builder in 2019 I think it would fit this teams chemistry and accelerate them in year 2 of Nagy. With the city buzz, flashbacks to 1985, pretty boy QB and young exciting team we are a lock for 2019 Hard Knocks.

Its happening unless they can elevate right away, get a Rodgers injury, and match-up with Lions.

First 2 weeks will tell us about playoffs. If we can get to bye 3-1 we are trouble for all. I expect a frustrating 0-2 start, 1-3 at bye, with some momontum built later on in the season.

My only Nagy concern so far is he is a buddy to the players. There are different styles of leadership, and they do better in different scenarios. As far as leading men through hard times, how he handles adversity, how he rubs players after they have seen his schtick a few times...etc...there is alot to prove left around here.

I'm not afraid of Green Bay or the Lions. Come on. But its going to be a difficult season just due to our youth and mistakes will be made. The league will really catch-up to RPO's this year as you see fangio and others focusing on the adjustments needed. League usually takes about 18 months to fully adjust to a new scheme, get some successful tape against it, and coach the players up to stop it and see it a few more times.

Our window is right now...role the league in 2018-20. We still have one major influx of defensive talent, probbably a high priced DE or OLB, sign Goldman, sign Howard, let Heistand build the line a couple years.

We are on the path and about the only thing that can stop us is if we got Watson/Trubs wrong and he doesn't grow into that upside.

Maybe Houston or the Jets will rival us for hard knocks, but I just see it building that way unless we are so far ahead of progression after 3 months of Nagy we just storm the league. Likely kool-aid drunk with those thoughts.

HOld onto your butts, at least we are through the worst guys.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
The way I see it is Gabriel is an elite gadget player.

When we start asking Burton to be 6'6" Kelce/Ertz with long arms, Gabriel to be a complete #2, White to be comeback player of the year...etc...I think that is the kool-aid and hype machine. We have enough guys to just let them be them. Let them do their part.

Gabriel might not be the perfect #2, and White might not be ready for that load, but together I think they are fine.
Miller is a massive upgrade in the slot from any slot WR the bears have had in a decade besides Marshal who excelled there at every stop in his career due to size/strength, but wouldn't fit there in this offense except his early Denver days before Cutty left when he was a YAC machine.

Burton has upside to go with leadership, and a 2nd round draft pick with ideal red zone and possession size to compliment him.

For the first time it looks like Pace planned and assembled a "TEAM." The guy ahead, behind, left, right of you compliments you, does something well you struggle at, etc.

This team is special and I'm rooting for them to stay off hard knocks and just elevate to a 11-5 season where we can't get snubbbed from the playoffs.

Beating Green Bay and Detroit with a little luck and injury bug is not totally insane anymore.

We have to give the division opponents hell and let the chips fall, if its a Hard Knocks momentum builder in 2019 I think it would fit this teams chemistry and accelerate them in year 2 of Nagy. With the city buzz, flashbacks to 1985, pretty boy QB and young exciting team we are a lock for 2019 Hard Knocks.

Its happening unless they can elevate right away, get a Rodgers injury, and match-up with Lions.

First 2 weeks will tell us about playoffs. If we can get to bye 3-1 we are trouble for all. I expect a frustrating 0-2 start, 1-3 at bye, with some momontum built later on in the season.

My only Nagy concern so far is he is a buddy to the players. There are different styles of leadership, and they do better in different scenarios. As far as leading men through hard times, how he handles adversity, how he rubs players after they have seen his schtick a few times...etc...there is alot to prove left around here.

I'm not afraid of Green Bay or the Lions. Come on. But its going to be a difficult season just due to our youth and mistakes will be made. The league will really catch-up to RPO's this year as you see fangio and others focusing on the adjustments needed. League usually takes about 18 months to fully adjust to a new scheme, get some successful tape against it, and coach the players up to stop it and see it a few more times.

Our window is right now...role the league in 2018-20. We still have one major influx of defensive talent, probbably a high priced DE or OLB, sign Goldman, sign Howard, let Heistand build the line a couple years.

We are on the path and about the only thing that can stop us is if we got Watson/Trubs wrong and he doesn't grow into that upside.

Maybe Houston or the Jets will rival us for hard knocks, but I just see it building that way unless we are so far ahead of progression after 3 months of Nagy we just storm the league. Likely kool-aid drunk with those thoughts.

HOld onto your butts, at least we are through the worst guys.

This team hasn't done shit yet. I love the optimism, but this team has to prove it is special versus being excited about the potential of our off season FA signings.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I like players in Gabriels situation. He was on a team with a good QB and very good WR's, so his play time was generally lower due to seniority rather than sucking at football.

A similar player, Emmanuel Sanders, was the #3 behind some good WR's in Pittsburgh. When he came to Denver as a free agent he got the opportunity and it resulted in multiple 1000 yard seasons.

I'm not saying Gabriel will do that, but that would be the hope. Same with Burton.

Always looking for free agents that are ascending, but play behind top players (Jones, Ertz) then they that are better when they here, like Akiem Hicks.

Akiem Hicks was a lesson in misuse. The Saints miscast him and when he came to Chicago we gave him a defined role which he settled into like a boss.