Bears finalize 53 man roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livewire

Liked Posts:
Glad to see our top 2 picks from last year are already being cut from an NFL roster...

Reactions: X

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Glad to see our top 2 picks from last year are already being cut from an NFL roster...
The Broncos traded Alphonso Smith to the Lions for a TE. Smith was their 2nd round pick in 2009 who they traded a 2010 1st to move up and get. The Cardinals released Cody Brown, who was their 2nd round pick in 2009. It's not only the Bears who have to release busts, and Gilbert sucks.

Livewire

Liked Posts:
The Broncos traded Alphonso Smith to the Lions for a TE. Smith was their 2nd round pick in 2009 who they traded a 2010 1st to move up and get. The Cardinals released Cody Brown, who was their 2nd round pick in 2009. It's not only the Bears who have to release busts, and Gilbert sucks.

I can care less what the fucking Broncos and Cardinals are doing. I demand ownership cleans house and hires people that will make our storied franchise successful year in and year out. We are one of the largest sports markets in the world... I want to be like New England, Indy, Dallas, Philly, San Diego, ect..

Teams that have not had a good season, but a good decade.

This is Chicago, these are the Bears... I demand more.

Livewire

Liked Posts:
Can we clean out ownership?

That old dirty cunt Virginia Mccaskey should leave the team to Mike Ditka and Dick Butkus to run in her will, rather than her stupid bastard faggot kids. Hell just give them her stake in the franchise as well.

Also someone should shoot Ted Phillips.

beardown28

That's What She Said
Donator
Liked Posts:
im gonna have to restart my madden franchise again!

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
We need Angelo the fuck out of the organization. This is nuts seeing so many wasted picks.

beardown28

That's What She Said
Donator
Liked Posts:
Garza is the backup C now.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
We need Angelo the fuck out of the organization. This is nuts seeing so many wasted picks.
Plus the wasted 1st and 2nd round picks, those set back teams for years

Cool Hand

Liked Posts:
Angelo's track record with trades and free agency has been solid. (minus the Gaines Adams deal)

Though Cutler had his struggles last season, I'm still happy with that trade. Booker for Ogunleye was solid, along with the signings of T. Jones, R. Brown, Tait, Peppers, etc.

But crapping out on the draft year after year is not sustainable. His comfort zone is clearly drafting for defense. That's fine if you want to take that approach, but at the end of the day your D better be top tier,,,and at the same time you better be building the O through other means. Other than C. Taylor, there were no significant upgrades on that side of the ball this year and our D looks like it won't be able to get off the field.

Our D should be dominant with all the picks he has invested in it over the last several years. It appears they have been throwing darts at these draft picks hoping for some to stick. What a waste.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
Plus the wasted 1st and 2nd round picks, those set back teams for years

Yup. It took him awhile, but I think Angelo did something right in flipping the early pick for Cutler. I was hoping they would have started to do this earlier in regards to the philosophy/hard-ass approach they take with their 1st rounders.

You know what I mean - how the organization seems to always play cheap with their first rounders resulting missing some/most of training camp which consequently, leads to a crap rookie season. From that point on, the player has to get out from behind the 8-ball.

So, from that point of view, ya might as well get a very good/great established player than let that man make a 1st round pick.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yup. It took him awhile, but I think Angelo did something right in flipping the early pick for Cutler. I was hoping they would have started to do this earlier in regards to the philosophy/hard-ass approach they take with their 1st rounders.

You know what I mean - how the organization seems to always play cheap with their first rounders resulting missing some/most of training camp which consequently, leads to a crap rookie season. From that point on, the player has to get out from behind the 8-ball.

So, from that point of view, ya might as well get a very good/great established player than let that man make a 1st round pick.

I honestly don't know what you are talking about here. The Bears have a history of being the first team (or among the first teams) to sign all of their draft picks.

When it comes to signing their draft picks, the Bears are generally ahead of the pack—and the Vikings, the Lions and every other NFL club for that matter.

With Major Wright inking a four-year contract Friday, the Bears became the first team in the league to sign all of its draft picks for the second straight year and the third time since 2006. They were also among the first in 2007 and '08.

...snip...

Signing draft picks before June 1 is seemingly only a common practice in Chicago. Since 2007, 24 of the 35 NFL draft choices (68.6 percent) who inked contracts in May have played for the Bears. That includes five of 13 (38.5 percent) this year and five of nine (55.6 percent) in 2009. source

I seem to recall Cedric Benson holding out (not sure if I'm correct) but, by and large, draft picks missing training camp is the exception and not the rule with the Bears.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're selectively choosing the last couple of years and applying it to Bears's history? Please.

I'm talking specifically about the timing of the signing of their 1st rounders (I thought I was clear). While they do eventually sign them, they often sign them quite late. Enis, Armstrong, Woolford, Salaam, Terrell, Benson, even Williams was late in signing (he signed late in July on the first day of camp). Williams I had to look up, the rest I had remembered. This list only dates back to the late 80s. I don't care enough to go further...but if I did, there were even more in the 80s that spawned the Bears to, I remember correctly, sign Carrier before they drafted him to avoid such problems.

So while I'm doing something similar in regards to your argument, I am at least going back a couple of decades longer...and the Bears haven't been special when dealing with their 1st rounders.

Last edited:

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
You're selectively choosing the last couple of years and applying it to Bears's history? Please.

I'm talking specifically about the timing of the signing of their 1st rounders (I thought I was clear). While they do eventually sign them, they often sign them quite late. Enis, Armstrong, Woolford, Salaam, Terrell, Benson, even Williams was late in signing (he signed late in July on the first day of camp). Williams I had to look up, the rest I had remembered. This list only dates back to the late 80s. I don't care enough to go further...but if I did, there were even more in the 80s that spawned the Bears to, I remember correctly, sign Carrier before they drafted him to avoid such problems.

So while I'm doing something similar in regards to your argument, I am at least going back a couple of decades longer...and the Bears haven't been special when dealing with their 1st rounders.

Yes but that history is irrelevant because it has been entirely changed with the current regime of the organization for the most part. Since the Ted Phillips/ JA era it's been all about signing picks early and signing first rounders early with the only legit exception being Benson.

Different people run the team from those days in the 80's/90's

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes but that history is irrelevant because it has been entirely changed with the current regime of the organization for the most part. Since the Ted Phillips/ JA era it's been all about signing picks early and signing first rounders early with the only legit exception being Benson.

Different people run the team from those days in the 80's/90's

^This^ You (Captain Iago) are complaining about what the Bears used to do. And it's not even the same people who are not doing it now. If that was a problem with the Bears in the past, they have corrected it.

There are so many other/better reasons why Jerry has to go. This is not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.