Bears' Manumaleuna targets training camp for return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liked Posts:
By Brad Biggs

The Bears swung open the gate at Halas Hall for media on Wednesday in what was the team's ninth OTA practice.

Four more are scheduled and then coach Lovie Smith typically takes the team on a bowling trip for the 14th OTA day. The voluntary offseason program will wrap up June 24 and then the team will break before reporting to training camp at Olivet Nazarene University in Bourbonnais.

It's at that time that tight end Brandon Manumaleuna expects to be back on the field. The veteran, who was one of the prized additions in free agency, worked on the side during the two-hour practice as he rehabilitates his way back from arthroscopic knee surgery.

He elected to have surgery the week before the draft because was having it drained during the regular season. The belief is that he'll be free of that routine this coming season and it's better to handle an issue in April, May and June than at some point during the fall.

"It's frustrating because it's a new team," said Manumaleuna, who was sidelined during practice last month. "You want to win the trust of your teammates. So it is frustrating not to be out there with them trying to grow with the offense. But it's just one of the things you've got to deal with."

Manumaleuna is familiar with the Mike Martz offense having played under him in St. Louis. So picking up the scheme isn't going to be difficult to him once training camp arrives.

The Bears like his ability as a blocker for the running and passing games, and he's a good-sized target in the red zone. The tight ends have gotten plenty of attention because Greg Olsen is a former first-round draft pick and Desmond Clark has been one of the few mainstays at a skill position on offense since the Lovie Smith era began.

"I think we have some good guys there and they've been showing they can make some plays," Manumaleuna said. "So I think it's just getting the trust of the coach. I think it'll be good for the tight end position."

Durability shouldn't be a concern for Manumaleuna moving forward. He didn't miss a game in four seasons in San Diego and has sat out only two in nine seasons in the league. At arguably the most injured position in the league, that is noteworthy.

"I feel good," he said. "If this was during the season, the timeframe as far as rehab would have been a lot different. But since we had a little time, there was no need to rush it back.

"I'll be there (for training camp)."

More...

WFBST

Liked Posts:
I've said it on twitter and I'll say it again, I'm looking forward to watching Manumaleuna block the sh*t out of defenders this year!

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
For what they're paying him, he better help keep Cutler upright and improve the running game

Status
Not open for further replies.