Bears outlook for remainder of 2018 and beyond

Waetchter

Liked Posts:
2018 - schedule appears to be favorable, but perhaps Lions and Bills are better than once thought. I think it helps that they play GB later in the year, as there is no way Rodgers can stay healthy for that long. I figure a few coin flip games will determine if the Bears go 6-10 or 10-6.

Coaching - the Bears retaining Fangio was just as big as the hiring of Nagy. Fangio is a proven commodity. Too early to draw conclusions about Nagy and his offensive staff.

Offense - I think there could be massive overhaul on the horizon. If Jordan Howard 'burns out' in a year or two, there could be a completely different cast of characters in 2020. Perhaps Whitehair would still be here, but the other 4 OLs will probably (in some cases, hopefully) be gone. White and Shaheen appear to be wasted picks. The Bears will probably keep Allen Robinson around. When it is said that Trubisky's ceiling is "Alex Smith", you have problems. It's just hard to see what direction the Bears are going with this group of players.

Defense - I think the biggest impact Khalil Mack has had, outside of his own play, is that high draft picks like Floyd, Fuller, and Goldman can simply be 'contributors' and that's OK. It's kind of amazing how the Bears defense has been constructed. Hicks was a great ROI signing, Mack kind of fell into their lap, and Pace threw a bunch of money at Trevathan who continues to be a liability despite the media hype. Those are your three best players...none of them drafted, none of them developed by Bear coaches. The Bears secondary is what holds them back from being an 'elite' defense, as Pace's misfirings in this area are monumental. The little I have seen of Roquan Smith has been encouraging. Having Smith replace Trevathan on passing downs would give the Bears defense an incredible amount of flexibility.

Front Office - Jon Gruden saved Ryan Pace's job for the time being. Pace hasn't done much right.

Overall Outlook - the 2018 Chiefs make the 2018 Bears look worse in terms of outlook. Nagy obviously was just a cog in Andy Reid's offensive machine, as they continue to rack up points without Nagy's input or alleged play-calling. The success of Patrick Mahomes magnifies Pace's questionable trading up for Trubisky. It seems like the best outlook for the current Bears is for Mack to be Urlacher, Trubisky to be Grossman, and Nagy to be Lovie. Which is exactly was the impetus for bringing in Ryan Pace to begin with.