Bears Position Group Update

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Not sure how many read the Bears official website articles but I saw one today on Bears changes by group.
It shows every group has been upgraded over last year. When you look at the changes by name by group it is a pretty impressive change. With all the holes I didn't expect all the groups to be improved.
Anyone think differently?

alswank87

Liked Posts:
They did it by spending wisely. I think they still have work to do at DE, but I’m happy with how we are going into the season. Fields needs to grow as a passer and we will have a perennial contender.

greg23

Liked Posts:
I'd agree that they upgraded immensely across the board except at de....and remained neutral at qb and that's where the biggest improvement needs to come from to make the team elite

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Simply Improving doesn't take much when some position groups were near the bottom of the league and you have the most cap space in the league by 50 mil.

The real question is whether we improved enough considering the amount of assets we had at our disposal. Our main additions include DJ Moore, Darnell Wright, Nate Davis, D'Onta Foreman, Robert Tunyan, Tremaine Edmunds, TJ Edward's, Demarcus Walker, Gervon Dexter, Tyrique Stevenson, Zach Pickens, etc.

Personally, I think it's a good, but not great haul considering the number of assets we had. Getting two immediate starters in Wright and Moore along with an impact player in Stevenson from the #1 draft pick was great. In Free Agency, I think we overpaid for Edmunds, but got great deals everywhere else. But I also feel we should have had another big splash signing in Free Agency outside of Edmunds. I really wanted Jamel Dean. We were outbid for RT and DT. As a result I felt Poles leaned towards need instead of BPA in the draft. It ended up alright. I just think we got at B+ result this offseason when we had an opportunity to do even better.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Simply Improving doesn't take much when some position groups were near the bottom of the league and you have the most cap space in the league by 50 mil.

The real question is whether we improved enough considering the amount of assets we had at our disposal. Our main additions include DJ Moore, Darnell Wright, Nate Davis, D'Onta Foreman, Robert Tunyan, Tremaine Edmunds, TJ Edward's, Demarcus Walker, Gervon Dexter, Tyrique Stevenson, Zach Pickens, etc.

Personally, I think it's a good, but not great haul considering the number of assets we had. Getting two immediate starters in Wright and Moore along with an impact player in Stevenson from the #1 draft pick was great. In Free Agency, I think we overpaid for Edmunds, but got great deals everywhere else. But I also feel we should have had another big splash signing in Free Agency outside of Edmunds. I really wanted Jamel Dean. We were outbid for RT and DT. As a result I felt Poles leaned towards need instead of BPA in the draft. It ended up alright. I just think we got at B+ result this offseason when we had an opportunity to do even better.
Thanks, I'm not bothered by the 2 misses at tackle that were big overpays and post draft with the 3 "D" line adds that were again overpays I'm okay there as well. At least 2 of the 3 young D line will surprise by a bunch.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Personally, I think it's a good, but not great haul considering the number of assets we had.
Make it great then. Because we still got more picks next year from these assets you speak of. Can't full grade it yet.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Aside from the obvious--how does Justin Fields improve-- I think the key will be three draft choices. Will Dexter and Pickens contribute in a meaningful way and will Trique Stevenson be as good as advertised-and avoid some of the character issues that have plagued him?

All three of these players are big question marks and their success or failure as high draft choices will be a key test of Poles player evaluation ability.

Last edited:

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Make it great then. Because we still got more picks next year from these assets you speak of. Can't full grade it yet.
I consider that, but I still felt we could have done slightly more than we did considering what assets we used. Also, Its my initial reaction to this offseason acuistions. Its based on speculation. If you wait until another year, than it wil be less speculation, and moreso a grade depending on how players performed.

For example, my grades for last offseason was much different before the season and after the season. It ok to grade at both junctures, but they will be based differently.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Before championships . . . got to win division first (baby steps).

In the 2022 season the Bears . . .

got swept by the Lions, Packers and Vikings.
2-7 record @ soldier field
1-11 vs nfc opponents
minus 137 point differential

These stats need to improve, no? Much is riding on Justin this season.

Last edited:

Nelly

Liked Posts:

1-11 vs nfc opponents

The Lions in 2021 we're 3-13-1, then went 9-8 last year. That's similar to what I'm expecting from the Bears. I've actually got them at 8 wins but playing meaningful games late which would be nice progress from the team as a whole and presumably from Fields as well.

I haven't seen hardly anyone expecting anything more than that. We know 2024 is the year we're expecting to see a playoff run provided Fields takes the next step this year.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Aside from the obvious--how does Justin Fields improve-- I think the key will be three draft choices. Will Dexter and Pickens contribute in a meaningful way and will Trique Stevenson be as good as advertised-and avoid some of the character issues that have plagued him?

All three of these players are big question marks and their success or failure as high draft choices will be a key test of Poles player evaluation ability.

What character concerns? I just googled for it and found no mention anywhere of any characters concerns with Stevenson. Biggest issues with him seem to be consistency and turning his athletism into more production.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Not sure how many read the Bears official website articles but I saw one today on Bears changes by group.
It shows every group has been upgraded over last year. When you look at the changes by name by group it is a pretty impressive change. With all the holes I didn't expect all the groups to be improved.
Anyone think differently?

Do u have a link or title? I was at the Bears official website and couldn't find it. Thanks

napo55

Liked Posts:
What character concerns? I just googled for it and found no mention anywhere of any characters concerns with Stevenson. Biggest issues with him seem to be consistency and turning his athletism into more production.
Arrested while at Georgia for a bar fight. Character concerns have been mentioned.

Marley's Liberality

Liked Posts:
The changes have been remarkable at some positions, particularly WR. TE and QB have been better because of the development of players Poles did not pick. RB was solid before he got here and remained so.

I do think he has done some nice work on D. However, Eberflus said on his first day that the keys to his defense were 3T, rush end and weakside LB (could be wrong on that third one but it was one of the LB spots). in two years and with all the resources in the world, Poles has only improved one of those keys.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I believe that he had a tizzy fit when he was in Georgia because he did not want to be moved to the alpha position on the Georgia defense, rather preferring to play and stay at corner. The position would have been similar to the position that Derwin James plays with the chargers.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

1-11 vs nfc opponents

Why are u putting it all on JF? He doesn't call and design plays.