Bears Sign 3 Off Tryouts

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/bears-sign-3-off-tryout-including-4-32-speedster-kieren-duncan/

Kieren Duncan’s intriguing speed earned him a tryout at the Bears’ rookie mini-camp this weekend. The wide receiver/kick returner from Colorado State-Pueblo parlayed that opportunity into a contract.

The 5-11, 170-pound Duncan, who ran a hand-timed 4.25 40-yard dash — and an electronic 4.32 40 — in pre-draft workouts, was one of three players signed to three-year contracts following the three-day rookie mini-camp, which concluded Sunday at Halas Hall.

The others were North Dakota State punter Ben LeCompte from Barrington — a two-time FCS All-American — and Connecticut defensive end Kenton Adeyemi.

Duncan caught 36 passes for 622 yards and six touchdowns for Colorado State-Pueblo last season. He also averaged 30.1 yards on 17 kickoff returns. He had 45 receptions for 712 yards as a junior, helping the ThunderWolves to the NCAA Division II championship.

Including his redshirt freshman year, LeCompte was a part of five consecutive NCAA Division I FCS national championship teams at North Dakota State — the regular punter on the last four.

The 6-4, 291-pound Adeyemi had 28 tackles, two sacks and 3 1/2 tackles-for-loss for Connecticut last season. He ran a 4.9 40 at his pro day and had a tryout at the Texans’ mini-camp last week.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Any idea who the Bears will cut to make room for these 3? Biggs was on twitter speculating that it could be a couple veterans. Not that I put much worth to what Biggs says.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Knowing pace it will probably be Jeffery, Long, and Fuller. He likes getting rid of experienced talent.

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:
Any idea who the Bears will cut to make room for these 3? Biggs was on twitter speculating that it could be a couple veterans. Not that I put much worth to what Biggs says.
Since I am surprised Sutton has made it this far I would say he is a likely candidate.

Burrberry

Liked Posts:

I would think they are just competition bodies. I know O'donnell has had several punts blocked and they said it was a problem of his coming out of college so maybe they want to give him some pressure. Giving Kickers and Punters competition is common.

Maybe they are giving the kick returner position an open mind since no one really did anything last year so they'll let whomever duke it out between Bolden, Duncan, Mariani, etc... Maybe has long term potential as a slot receiver depending on how things develop in camp, but right now Duncan has to be a pure special teams guy.

The DT will be interesting. Team's don't usually mess with those guys unless they believe they have potential so we'll see. I'd have to second Sutton since there's really nowhere in the scheme for his style(And he's been a bust pretty much).

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Since I am surprised Sutton has made it this far I would say he is a likely candidate.

With the addition of Hicks and Bullard, Sutton is probably expendable although I think I would prefer to keep him around awhile for competition and depth.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
Sutton/Washington are competing for that last spot on the DL.

Washington is a much better special teamer but Sutton actually played snaps.

geneatals

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
so how is that on the roster and how many can they have a start of camp?

I'm guessing these guys are camp bodies

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
so how is that on the roster and how many can they have a start of camp?

I'm guessing these guys are camp bodies

Roster can have no more then 90 players on them. Bears currently have 93 with these signings so they need to cut 3 people. I don't know how long they have to cut them though.