Bears sign Josh Woods

Sammich

Liked Posts:
Not very exciting, but somewhat of an intriguing move:

Josh Woods wasn't one of the Maryland football players selected in the NFL Draft, but he's taken a big step toward making his dream come true as a free agent.

Woods signed a contract with the Chicago Bears on Thursday after impressing during the team's three-day minicamp, the team announced. The Terps of the deal weren't released and Woods, who started 14 games for Maryland the past two seasons, still might be a longshot for the active roster. But he was one of only two players the team signed from the minicamp that included seven draft picks, 15 undrafted free agents, 35 unsigned rookies and eight unsigned veterans. Rather then scrambling for another opportunity, he can prepare for the team's preseason camp for the next six weeks.

A 6-foot-1, 204-pound Baltimore native, Woods enjoyed a career-best season last fall as a senior, when he totaled 62 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss, four pass breakups and two interceptions despite missing two games. He's not the only undrafted rookie from Maryland trying to catch on with an NFL team; Kingsley Opara (Texans), Cavon Walker (Bears) and JC Jackson (Patriots) are all chasing opportunities to continue their careers. The beats now list him as a linebacker.

Woods was a three-star recruit from McDonough (Md.) in Randy Edsall's 2014 class, ranked 817 overall in the country, 67th among all safeties and 22nd in the state of Maryland. He chose Maryland over Virginia and Delaware.

As a freshman, Woods appeared in eight games, primarily on special teams, and didn't record a tackle. He totaled four tackles the following season before earning more of an opportunity as a junior under first-year coach DJ Durkin, playing in 10 games, including five starts at safety. He ended the year with 41 tackles, one tackle for loss and two pass deflections, while struggling in coverage at times. But last season he was arguably Maryland's most improved player despite missing two games with a rib injury.

https://maryland.247sports.com/Arti...Josh-Woods-Signs-with-Chicago-Bears-118881088

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He and Kyle Fuller should have a lot to talk about (both Baltimore natives).

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
"The Terps of the deal weren't released and Woods..."

Wonder if this was an intention pun/error or not by the author...

Also: "The beats now list him as a linebacker."

What's up with journalists/editors these days? Seems like I see typos in every article I read, even from major publications.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
"The Terps of the deal weren't released and Woods..."

Wonder if this was an intention pun/error or not by the author...

Maryland is the Terrapins - also known as the Terps

JT_Bonfire

Liked Posts:
Maryland is the Terrapins - also known as the Terps

captain-obvious.jpg

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Also: "The beats now list him as a linebacker."

What's up with journalists/editors these days? Seems like I see typos in every article I read, even from major publications.

Journalists haven't changed. Newspapers cut out the editors when they had to cut costs. I speak from experience, as my brother was one casualty.

I see an unreal amount of typos and grammatical errors that did not make it through "back in the day".