Bears' Spencer beaming over OSU-bound son

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liked Posts:
By Vaughn McClure

While former Bears defensive end Phillip Daniels' son, DaVaris, delayed making a college decision, his Vernon Hills teammate made a Bears' assistant coach one very proud papa.

Evan Spencer, who mans the other Vernon Hills receiver spot opposite the younger Daniels, recently gave a verbal commitment to Ohio State. It's the same school where his father, Bears running backs coach Tim Spencer, was a star running back in the early 1980s.

"I'm pretty excited about it and feel blessed,'' Tim Spencer said. "He's worked his butt off and prepared for this. He still has his senior year left, but he wanted to get it out of the way."The elder Spencer said he never pressured his son to join the Buckeyes, although he did demand one school be eliminated from the process.

"Our only stipulation was there was some school north of Columbus (Ohio) -- I can't really remember the name and sometimes I have trouble saying it," Tim Spencer said with a laugh, referring to Ohio State's rival, Michigan.

The Wolverines never approached Evan Spencer, knowing it was a long shot with both of his parents Ohio State grads. In the end, Spencer picked the Buckeyes over Notre Dame, Wisconsin and Iowa.

Coach Spencer said he let go of his dream of developing another star running back long ago.

"Evan actually started off as a running back in Pee-Wee,'' Spencer said. "I can't remember exactly when he told me he wanted to be a receiver. I kind of bucked a little bit.

"But I let it go when I saw him catch the ball, with his hands. Then when I started showing him various routes, I saw he was a good route-runner, too.

"I hope he gets to the NFL ... and hopefully I'm still coaching by then. But I don't know if he would want to be on my team. I'd have a chance to look at him every day."

More...

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
He should've gone to USC :smug: :shifty: :cookiemonster:

Status
Not open for further replies.