Bears' Wright gets guidance from ex-Vike Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liked Posts:
By Vaughn McClure

If one Bears rookie becomes a Major contributor this season, some of the credit might have to go to a former Minnesota Viking.

Third-round pick Major Wright, a Florida native who went on the play for the Gators, has a strong tie to Cris Carter, the eight-time Pro Bowl receiver best known for his accomplishments in Minnesota.

"He's kind of guided me and has been my mentor," Wright said of Carter. "I call him every week just to let him know what's going on with me."

The two established a bond when Wright played at St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Florida, the same program Carter's son, Duron, starred for a few years after Wright. The elder Carter also was an assistant coach at the school.

Although Cris Carter is better known for aiding the development of receivers such as Larry Fitzgerald and Randy Moss, Wright believes Carter can be just as effective for a defensive back.

"It helps to learn from him simply because he's been in this situation before as an NFL player,'' Wright said. "He can teach me the tendencies of the receivers, what I can look for ... the splits, the routes, and how the angles are. He can teach me how to do this, how to do that because he's played against the best."

Wright hopes to be in the mix against the league's top talent this season. Although Chris Harris and Danieal Manning are the starting safeties right now, the rookie made an impression throughout the offseason.

"It's just all about staying focus and learning everything I can," Wright said. "I'm just going full-throttle and making every play that I can."

Wright is one of the players featured in a six-part, behind-the-scenes look at rookie minicamp beginning Wednesday on the team's Web site.

More...

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I only hope that could lead to, "all Wright does is prevent touchdowns!"

But I don't mean that in the nice cover up way that Buddy Ryan meant.

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
Carter's a douchebag. Hopefully he didn't turn Major into a whiny bitch like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.