bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
SUBSCRIBE

Sports Football Chicago Bears
Column: Clues point to Bears surrounding Mitch Trubisky with targets in free agency

The Bears project to have $80 million in salary-cap space entering free agency, which opens March 14. Here are their key free-agent signings under general manager Ryan Pace with a grade of Hit, Miss or Serviceable. (Dan Wiederer)

Brad BiggsContact Reporter
Chicago Tribune
If you’re combing through what Ryan Pace said at the NFL scouting combine for clues to what the future holds for the Bears in free agency, zero in on his comments about the team’s greatest offensive need — wide receiver.

“That’s an area where you can get better quickly through free agency or the draft,” the general manager said.

Then, keep in mind what he said about his prized acquisition from a year ago, quarterback Mitch Trubisky.

“I can sit back now and be happy we have a guy we feel good about — a young quarterback we want to build around.” he said. “This is his team going forward.”

Consider it proof positive the Bears are driven to surround Trubisky with talent that can help him succeed for new coach Matt Nagy and his staff a year after the team had one of the least productive receiving corps in the NFL. It’s easy to play connect-the-dots for the Bears, who project to have more than $64 million in salary cap space when they release Mike Glennon after the new league year begins at 3 p.m. Wednesday.

Between the two primary avenues for player acquisitions, the Bears can improve more rapidly through free agency than the draft. They have used two of their 20 draft picks the last three years on receivers and have gotten scant production from first-rounder Kevin White and seventh-rounder Daniel Braverman, who was released before last season.

The draft class might not have an option worth taking with the eighth overall pick and history shows draft picks can take awhile to develop at the position. But the Bears, who likely will tender an offer to restricted free agent receiver Cameron Meredith, can revamp their depth chart quickly when free agency opens and surely will be busy when the negotiating window, which permits teams to speak with agents, begins at 11 a.m. Monday. It’s worth wondering if the team, which has been snubbed in pursuit of big-ticket cornerbacks the past two years, will be more aggressive with its offers in a market in which other teams flush with cap space like the Browns, Jets, Colts, 49ers, Titans and Redskins also are seeking help at the position.

No greater reminder of the pitfalls inherent with free agency is needed than the series of moves the team made recently, shedding unproductive previous signings. It’s difficult to build a foundation for a roster in free agency and the Bears have reinforced that while Pace maintains they want to remain draft driven.

Allen Robinson of the Jaguars and Sammy Watkins of the Rams represent the most attractive potential free agents if they don’t re-sign with their present teams. Robinson is coming off a torn ACL in his left knee suffered in Week 1 but it’s believed he will be fully cleared by June and therefore will not need to start training camp on the physically unable to perform list.

The Bears charged into the offseason by hiring coach Matt Nagy to replace John Fox, a move that triggered a slew of other staff changes in January. After Super Bowl LII in Minneapolis on Feb. 4, it won’t be long before league business heats up again.

Here’s a rundown of meaningful dates and deadlines that make up the Bears’ 2018 offseason calendar. (Rich Campbell)
The knee injury has to create at least some level of concern for Robinson, who produced 1,400 yards and 14 touchdowns playing with Blake Bortles in 2015. He’s a big target — 6-foot-3, 211 pounds — who plays big and runs well. Robinson can challenge defensive backs on routes at all three levels of the defense and wins contested catches downfield.

Watkins would come healthy and is a speed merchant but he’s less dimensional than Robinson. The Rams would like him back but opted to use their franchise tag on safety Lamarcus Joyner. Both wide receivers are only 24.

It’s possible the Bears will target either Robinson or Watkins and look to pair their choice with Albert Wilson, the slot receiver from the Chiefs who has been linked to the Bears ever since Nagy was hired. The shifty and speedy Wilson would bring familiarity with the new offense and be an athletic upgrade over Kendall Wright.

The most productive target in the Chiefs’ offense during Nagy’s stay there was tight end Travis Kelce and the Bears need to replace their pass catcher at the position, Zach Miller. Someone will sign Trey Burton of the Eagles based on potential, not unlike the move the Bears made in 2013 when they signed Martellus Bennett before he had fully blossomed. Burton, best known for throwing a touchdown pass to Nick Foles in Super Bowl LII, had 60 catches for 575 yards and six touchdowns the last two years as the Eagles’ third tight end. The Bears also could consider Seahawks tight end Jimmy Graham, who averaged less than 10 yards per catch last season for the first time in his career but remains a viable red zone target, something the Bears lack. Pace and director of player personnel Josh Lucas know him well from their time with the Saints.

The Bears need to consider a plan to replace left guard Josh Sitton but the belief right now is the club’s primary focus is elsewhere — think wide receiver, cornerback and maybe tight end. Perhaps that changes but some believe they really would like to land Notre Dame guard Quenton Nelson with the No. 8 pick and if they pay good money to a free agent lineman, the chances of that happening would be reduced. They need other parts for the line, including a swing tackle, and eventually they will bring back some of their own free agents with Bradley Sowell a possibility for that role. He started two games last season and showed the ability to slide inside when needed.

Pace indicated the Bears have interest in bringing back third quarterback Mark Sanchez but they could be in the market for another veteran at the position. Chase Daniel has experience with Nagy and Pace but he probably won’t come cheap after the big deal he signed with the Eagles in 2016 that averaged $7 million per year. Daniel would bring familiarity with the playbook but he’s not as athletic as Trubisky.

The Bears checked off their first order of business when they placed the transition tag on cornerback Kyle Fuller last week. The goal now is to sign him to a multi-year contract and then the Bears have to determine what to do opposite him and at the nickel position. Do they tender an offer to Bryce Callahan, who has had durability issues, or pursue a proven slot defender like Patrick Robinson? Some have linked them to former Seahawk Richard Sherman, who turns 30 later this month and played his final season at Stanford under defensive coordinator Vic Fangio, but if he wants top dollar do the Bears want to sink that much money into the position with Fuller due $12.971 million this season? They were No. 7 in the NFL in pass defense last season with Fuller and Prince Amukamara as primary starters and re-signing Amukamara figures at least to be a consideration. He knows the scheme, has good size and is strong in run support.

Outside linebacker is a key need too and it’s worth wondering if they seek a reclamation project here. The marketplace is thin when it comes to proven and healthy options.

Pace has to continue the rebuild with players that fit what Nagy wants to do. Free agency hasn’t been productive for the Bears but that doesn’t mean their fortunes can’t change this year when the goal will be to outfit Trubisky with players who can help the Bears score after they have ranked 29th, 28th and 23rd the last three seasons.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Talk is cheap, let's see results

Last year the Bears were "in on" top FAs and got expensive trash

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Talk is cheap, let's see results

Last year the Bears were "in on" top FAs and got expensive trash

Yeah you're right. Talk is cheap. Since you can't force a free agent to sign even when you're offering more money...

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Wilson, Burton and Fulton are locks.

Just need to see if they can land one of the big dogs.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

They are? Okay, i'm good with all 3 of them but they better cut Simms if they sign Burton since there won't be a need to have both Simms and Burton when Burton can block as well as catch passes.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They are? Okay, i'm good with all 3 of them but they better cut Simms if they sign Burton since there won't be a need to have both Simms and Burton when Burton can block as well as catch passes.

I think based on the amount of buzz we have heard about all 3 and that they have not really been connected to anyone else probably clears the picture up.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I don't like how Biggs says the two biggest positions the Bears will focus on are WR and CB and not mention OLB when Edge Rusher should be a bigger focus than CB should be, not saying getting a legit CB to play opposite Fuller isn't a big need but definitely not a bigger need then Edge Rusher. There's no legit OLB's in free agency to choose from but there's plenty of tier two type guys out there to get and even a few that i'd like to see on one year prove yourself contracts.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think based on the amount of buzz we have heard about all 3 and that they have not really been connected to anyone else probably clears the picture up.

Yeah but i don't need to explain to you about how much smoke is being blown at this time of year especially from the Chicago media people cause you know as well as anyone else about that. Lets also not forget how secretive Pace is about what he's planning on doing in free agency or the draft and he damn sure isn't gonna let it out to any media people what he's planning for other teams to find out about and beat him to the punch if it's a player that they also want. I sure do hope you're right though. All 3 could be really nice gets for us and seems would fit what Nagy is looking for.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:

I think we should save the extra money on Burton and sign Luke Wilson. That money could be pushed out to a better CB to work alongside Fuller. Bears need to take it up a level at CB.

Bashaud Breeland and Fuller would work for me. Allows the Bears to go Tremaine Edmunds (if Nelson not available) and Lorenzo Carter in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I don't like how Biggs says the two biggest positions the Bears will focus on are WR and CB and not mention OLB when Edge Rusher should be a bigger focus than CB should be, not saying getting a legit CB to play opposite Fuller isn't a big need but definitely not a bigger need then Edge Rusher. There's no legit OLB's in free agency to choose from but there's plenty of tier two type guys out there to get and even a few that i'd like to see on one year prove yourself contracts.

You don't like how a shitty writer fails to mention something? Ok...

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

WR and CB look to be the two best positions in free agency. OLB will have to come from the draft I bet. Although I'm sure they'll sign someone there.... I just think the talent is more in the draft.

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:

I hope this is true, but this time last year I thought it was a lock that Gilmore was ours. I really hope this is the year We are able to land some of the bigger name guys but I am afraid to get too optimistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think we should save the extra money on Burton and sign Luke Wilson. That money could be pushed out to a better CB to work alongside Fuller. Bears need to take it up a level at CB.

Bashaud Breeland and Fuller would work for me. Allows the Bears to go Tremaine Edmunds (if Nelson not available) and Lorenzo Carter in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

Me too.

Washington

Liked Posts:
I'd love to see Burton signed. Then they could dump Simms who is an overpaid waste.

We need lots of help at WR, CB, OLB, and we need a starting OG or OC.

Speed

Liked Posts:
I'm sure they'll go after some depth type OLB's to fight with guys like Isaiah Irving. Its only common sense. Biggie Smallz shouldn't be taken exactly for his word unless it's about ... you guys know.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Trent Murphy could start opposite of Floyd, he would be a solid addition (assuming he's healthy).

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Breeland is not on the top of my list. Apparently his numbers are better in the slot.

If they want to spend money at CB interest might be the right time to see if Malcolm Butlers market is down from the Super Bowl thing. If you can get him for 12/season?