Biggs: Pace in shaky ground

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think a team could take Jones in the 1st round.
Not that it matters much because teams do their own evals, but Kiper has Jones as his 4th best QB in the draft. His top 5 goes.

Lawrence
Fields
Wilson
Jones
Lance

So, Jones going in the first wouldn't be surprising at all.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I guess we will see next year without Rivers.

I would take Ballard over Pace too but people act like hes Theo Epstein.

They are a playoff team in a tougher conference with more wins and 65 million in cap space. They are clearly in much better shape than us.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears desperately need to draft a franchise QB.

Pace is an abject failure at scouting and acquiring QBs.

I am really not sure why this is a discussion?
Most people on here seem to want to just suck another year and not even take a shot at a QB this year. :reptar:

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not that it matters much because teams do their own evals, but Kiper has Jones as his 4th best QB in the draft. His top 5 goes.

Lawrence
Fields
Wilson
Jones
Lance

So, Jones going in the first wouldn't be surprising at all.
so the Bears have a reasonable shot of getting Trey Lance

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I know you can only play the teams that are on your schedule, but until the Bears can beat those winning teams they will not be considered a quality opponent in the League.

This weekend will likely be another example of why the Bears are not a Quality team, and Pace has been in charge for long enough to take credit/blame for the team.

BrunoTheRed

Liked Posts:
Pace blew the biggest decision he had to make and it unraveled a bunch of good ones he did
I mean with the rumors flying around it does seem one way or the other Ryan Pace won't be the general manager next year.

Either fired or kicked upstairs although I am thinking the rumors from credible sources point to the former.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We can hope. This team has seemed too rudderless for too long. I also don't like the reward for poor performance scenario but I suspect Pace is better suited for Pres. than GM and it would assure having a long needed Football guy in the position.

If it goes down this way, There's also always the concern if he can step back enough to allow the next GM enough autonomy to perform and break the habit of upper management meddling.

I would think that the Bear want to take this to the next level and create a winner, to increase the franchise's value for when Virginia moves on.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So whats going to happen when the GM wants the next Mahomes but Pace insists he likes the next 4M better?

Seems like a recipe for conflict and pissing contests.

BrunoTheRed

Liked Posts:
So whats going to happen when the GM wants the next Mahomes but Pace insists he likes the next 4M better?

That goes on in even successful organizations.

What separates the good from the bad is whether ultimately the GM has the final say.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

The most powerful man in the organization is the one with control of the 53.

I cannot see Pace just handing that over #conviction.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I'd hope Pace delegates... even if it was the other way around which could be just as likely.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I have defended Pace pretty strongly on this board, but I will tell you after Sunday's defensive performance, giving up a 147.9 QBR to Rodgers.. he is understandably on shaky ground.

If the Bears want to run it back next season I don't have a problem. See if our defensive problems are coaching and injuries... or just a lack of talent. They played pretty well the first half of the season. If the defense regresses again next season, Pace is gone.

Offensively, I don't know what you do. If you keep Pace/Nagy, and sitting where we are in the draft I think, you grab a Tackle, another CB or DE and help at WR and try to get Trubisky on a team friendly 2 year deal, letting the next regime deal with QB if the team fails next season. Maybe if you let Lazor call plays all season and with a healhty defense you can get to 9-7 or 10-6.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That goes on in even successful organizations.

What separates the good from the bad is whether ultimately the GM has the final say.

Yes and in successful orgs the smarter guy usually has final say. In this case as President Pace technically has final say. No thanks.
The most powerful man in the organization is the one with control of the 53.

I cannot see Pace just handing that over #conviction.

Exactly

I'd hope Pace delegates... even if it was the other way around which could be just as likely.

I'd hope Pace did a lot of things but here we are.