Bobby Massie

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Massie is a UFA after this season and will turn 30 this summer. I have had my issues with Massie, but this season he has been, dare I say it...reliable?

I don't have PFF or other stat analytics, but based on the eye test, he seems to be doing quite well in pass pro, and about average in run blocking. There have been issues with our run game all season, but I don't think that can all be pinned on Massie. Could be wrong.

People have talked about offseason re-signing priorities. We will have minimal cap space to work with, and IMO, Callahan is the first priority to bring back.

Question-is Massie worth trying to bring back if we can get him on a modest deal? Or is rolling with R. Coward and a F/A or draft pick the better route? I don't know the crop of available F/A or draft Tackles next year. Point is, you rarely hear his name being mentioned, which is a good thing if you are an OLman. I have been pleasantly surprised with his play this year.

swz01

Liked Posts:
Cutting Long opens up cap space to re-sign Massie. Draft priority was going to be OL in the 3rd either way probably much easier to get a starting caliber guard in the 3rd than RT.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Bringing Massie back is a band aid on the position. 30 is officially old. Realistically we need 2 young o linemen with one being a RG and the other being a RT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
There will be a lot of holes to fill next year. I think only 39 players are under contract. Pace will have is work to do filling in these platoon players with about 20mil in cap space.

swz01

Liked Posts:
Bringing Massie back is a band aid on the position. 30 is officially old. Realistically we need 2 young o linemen with one being a RG and the other being a RT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess it depends on the quality of tackles available in FA. If there are a lot of RT on the market an upgrade could be possible. I'm not seeing an improvement or deterioration in the pass protection since Long has been out so he looks like the obvious cap casualty. Long is around the same age as Massie fwiw.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
3rd?
Draft OL in the 2nd.
And the 3rd.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
3rd?
Draft OL in the 2nd.
And the 3rd.

I didn't think we had a 2nd round pick next year?

My thought was with the limited cap space and draft capital in 2019, may be worth to sign him to a short-term deal and draft his replacement in 2020 (or sign a younger F/A when we have more cap space).

oping00@gmail.com

Liked Posts:
Massie has surprised me. He was always seen as a band aid , but has probably earned a respectable 1 yr deal.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
We probably aren’t going to find an olineman in the draft that will be an instant starter

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Bring him back. 2 yr option deal.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They won’t be able to afford him.

Coward vs 3rd round pick vs a reasonable vet swing OT.

Massie has been better this season, but not worth prioritizing.

46FEVER

Liked Posts:
I disagree. We have options at cb, look at the past history Hiestad has with veteran ol. Pass rush always makes your secondary better. Tait?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think you can keep Massie and Callahan....

Cut

Sims
McManis
Acho

Roll over about 3.5 million

Gives you 33m in cap space

Sign Callahan and Massie for about 14m

leaves you 18m for 4 low draft choices and 18 players....tight but doable...

swz01

Liked Posts:
I think you can keep Massie and Callahan....

Cut

Sims
McManis
Acho

Roll over about 3.5 million

Gives you 33m in cap space

Sign Callahan and Massie for about 14m

leaves you 18m for 4 low draft choices and 18 players....tight but doable...

But then that means Amos is gone. I would want to cut Long and let Lynch go to be able to afford Amos.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
Long is a goner. We keep Massie and Callahan, Amos gets a better deal elsewhere. I'd like to keep McManis too. He's solid depth. I'd rather look for safety help via draft/FA than RT.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
They won’t be able to afford him.

Coward vs 3rd round pick vs a reasonable vet swing OT.

Massie has been better this season, but not worth prioritizing.

The good thing is with Trubisky's play style they'll be able to get away with not having an amazing offensive line like the Seahawks do with Russell Wilson.

Once Trubisky has a full year under his belt, he won't need everything to be perfect around him and can start to hide our roster flaws