Bosh/Amare fallback - Paul Milsap?

Wade Wilson

Liked Posts:
Let's say that Bosh/Amare signs an extension or we get outbid or Reinsdorf balks at giving either guy a max deal or taking on bad contracts or whatever. How about offering a lesser package to Utah for Millsap if they can't resign him because of Boozer not opting out?

How about Tyrus Thomas/Jerome James for a resigned Milsapp and Kyle Korver? I think they might prefer Noah because Tyrus doesn't strike me as a Sloan guy, and subbing Noah into that deal gives me pause. Maybe we could do some other configuration where we take Ak47's contract rather than giving up Noah.

Millsap, though, would be a really nice addition. He put up 16 and 10 with 54% shooting in 38 games as a starter. He clearly is effective on the pick and roll coming from Utah's offense which is nice, because that comprises about 80%(generic, totally made up figure, so don't ask me about it, point is we run P&R a lot) of Vinny's offense. He has the bulk to not get muscled around inside and he rebounds well. And given that he's gotten consistent PT from Sloan and he is still breathing, I don't think he suffers from the same ebb and flow of focus and energy that Tyrus does. We'd lose Tyrus' shotblocking, but Tyrus' shotblocking is misleading because he doesn't generate a lot extra possesions for the team because he still hasn't learned how to control those blocks.

Basghetti80

Liked Posts:
I love Milsap and I would take him as our PF in a heartbeat but my gut feeling is Utah is going to let Boozer opt out and walk to Detroit for example and resign Milsap for themselves. It is important though that we consider other alternatives besides Bosh or Amare in case we can't swing one of those two.

AirP

Liked Posts:
In that case you may want to monitor the 76ers in the offseason. Elton Brand doesn't fit their roster and they may be willing to move his contract for someone(s) who are better fits.

Basghetti80

Liked Posts:
I am a little concerned we would have the same problem with Brand. We play that uptempo game like Philly does. Now we have better shooters, especially if we are able to keep Gordon so maybe it would work. Only hangup is if I am taking the Brand contract I want them to take Deng and I can't see that happening. Maybe if they take Hinrich I would consider it.

Rose
Gordon
Deng
Brand
Noah

That is a fairly solid 5 man group. Maybe I could be convinced.

Wade Wilson

Liked Posts:
Basghetti80 wrote:
I love Milsap and I would take him as our PF in a heartbeat but my gut feeling is Utah is going to let Boozer opt out and walk to Detroit for example and resign Milsap for themselves. It is important though that we consider other alternatives besides Bosh or Amare in case we can't swing one of those two.

Yeah, my whole scenario is based around the rumors of Boozer not opting out turning out to be true. If Boozer doesn't opt out, I think there's a good chance Utah can't afford to pay Millsap this summer.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Basghetti80 wrote:
Its Boozer's option to opt out not the Jazz. Boozer will likely be back he had injuries, a down year and only a couple of teams have cap space and they aren't known for overpaying people. In 2010 he can be someones consolation prize.

Rose1

Liked Posts:
John Paxson would be stupid to not make a run at Paul. I think this kid gets it. He's a hard worker and he doesn't come with ailments. I mean, Ty.Thomas is cool but his fundamentals is nowhere near Milsap's. Plus, it doesn't take a genius to see Rose doesn't trust throwing the ball into Tyrus Thomas. I think you will see a more consistent Rose if we have a stronger inside player in Milsap.

mlewinth

Liked Posts:
I don't want Brand. The core of our team is incredibly young. Our prime will be in 3-5 years, not in 1-3. Brand has had 2 major injuries in 2 years and has alot of mileage on him. I would not take his contract, even if offered.

Millsap is a very interesting idea. He has played well when he has started and he plays defense. I agree though, they would most likely want Noah, cause loosing Millsap means they resign Boozer and they will want a 5, not a tweener.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Paul is going to get a deal in the 60 mil range I believe. I dont think he is worth anything more than 40 million. He isnt a big scorer and I dont know if he could be a legit starter for a whole season.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
I don't want Brand. The core of our team is incredibly young. Our prime will be in 3-5 years, not in 1-3. Brand has had 2 major injuries in 2 years and has alot of mileage on him. I would not take his contract, even if offered.

I agree on Brand, his contract is probably among the most untradeable in the league right now. Even worse than Deng. Probably only Baron Davis and Gilbert Arenas are up there for consideration as worse contracts.

Wade Wilson

Liked Posts:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
Paul is going to get a deal in the 60 mil range I believe. I dont think he is worth anything more than 40 million. He isnt a big scorer and I dont know if he could be a legit starter for a whole season.

I don't know that a guy like Millsap gets that type of bread in this offseason, especially considering there aren't many teams with cap room. I know he isn't a big scorer, but 16 at 54% shooting isn't anything to sneeze at. The guy ain't a star, but I think he can be a good, consistent, well rounded player at the 4, and he could be a situational all-star if where he gets recognized for having a good season for a really good team.

The concern with him not being legit over a whole season is real though. Especially comin' from that Utah system, which has made some guys look better than they really were. I think he gave a good sample size though, and the concerns about him being exposed away from Utah's system is mitigated by the fact that we have a nice PG of our own and we run a lot of pick and roll, so I think Millsapp would get a lot of the same scoring opportunities he gets with the Jazz. The rebounding and defense should carry over regardless.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
I'd like to get Milsap at a reasonable price, but I'm not sure how likely that is. Utah matches the MLE I'm sure, and I'm not sure why they'd do a S&T.

The one chance is that if Utah has Boozer and Okur decide to opt in rather than opt out that they could potentially be in the luxury tax if they match an MLE deal on Milsap.

hfritz32

Liked Posts:
Yea plus I dont think Brand still has it, I dont know how much more effective he would be than Jermaine O Neail in Miami. Ive always thought of Brand as a really good player but I would never want him to be a Star player on my team. 3 years ago I think he could of been your 2nd option on a title contending team now I think he has to be a third option. I may be wrong and he may have a really good bounceback season but I wouldnt be shocked if he doesnt aver over 17 points a game again

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
Doubtful, Boozer will be struggling to get that type of offer. Let alone Milsap.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
hfritz32 wrote:
Yea plus I dont think Brand still has it, I dont know how much more effective he would be than Jermaine O Neail in Miami. Ive always thought of Brand as a really good player but I would never want him to be a Star player on my team. 3 years ago I think he could of been your 2nd option on a title contending team now I think he has to be a third option. I may be wrong and he may have a really good bounceback season but I wouldnt be shocked if he doesnt aver over 17 points a game again

I wouldn't want Brand at all on my team with his deal. One of the worst contracts in the NBA right now. You don't knwo if he'll ever be healthy again, and he was extremely ineffective in his time in Philly prior to being hurt.

If I had a slow down team ready to win now with a hole at PF then maybe I'd take Brand, but he's not going to work on an up tempo team.

Wade Wilson

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
The one chance is that if Utah has Boozer and Okur(hadn't realized he could opt out, so I assumed he would be on the books, and I don't see him opting out anyway) decide to opt in rather than opt out that they could potentially be in the luxury tax if they match an MLE deal on Milsap.

Yeah, my whole idea is built around that. I don't see them being able to keep Millsap if they're still carrying Boozer and Okur's deals for next season. In that case, I could see an S&T.