BR: Bears Trying To Trade Cutler to get Mariota

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We need to keep our picks and get youthful depth, not bet the house on an iffy system QB

The problem is that youthful depth doesn't win in the NFL.

It is a QB driven league.

Not saying is has to be Mariota.

But you move heaven and earth to get your QB if you do not have a good one.

grenade007

Liked Posts:
The problem is that youthful depth doesn't win in the NFL.

It is a QB driven league.

Not saying is has to be Mariota.

But you move heaven and earth to get your QB if you do not have a good one.

Fair enough. I guess I'm just not really sold on Mariota and I think next years class should be much better

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
Thanks.

Sounds like he was very lukewarm on the rumor from earlier in the week.

It wasn't really that he was lukewarm. It was more that he just hadn't heard anything because teams aren't saying anything. He did say the Cutler to the Titans part seemed unlikely. That doesn't change anything though. They could do it without giving up Jay.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
After thinking more about the rumour and the interest in Mariota...Pace has been so damn quiet about every little thing and we haven't heard a lick about a lot of the moves that have been made until they have been announced.

All of a sudden, it gets out we have interest in Mariota? I like Mariota but I think this is a smoke screen from Pace. With Gregory no longer an option at #7, there are only 3 pass rushers worthy of the spot and Pace wants to get his guy. Hyping up Mariota and getting a team like Cleveland to offer up everything to get him would make it more realistic that maybe 2 of those guys are still on the board when he picks.

I would be all for a trade for Mariota but it is being used to drive his value up I believe.

Defense Wins

Liked Posts:
You idiots are gonna miss Cutler when we go thru another 50 quaterbacks... for what? Spread QB? KAPERNICK? RG3? get the fuck outta here.

BearDown104

Bears Guru
Donator
Liked Posts:
After thinking more about the rumour and the interest in Mariota...Pace has been so damn quiet about every little thing and we haven't heard a lick about a lot of the moves that have been made until they have been announced.

All of a sudden, it gets out we have interest in Mariota? I like Mariota but I think this is a smoke screen from Pace. With Gregory no longer an option at #7, there are only 3 pass rushers worthy of the spot and Pace wants to get his guy. Hyping up Mariota and getting a team like Cleveland to offer up everything to get him would make it more realistic that maybe 2 of those guys are still on the board when he picks.

I would be all for a trade for Mariota but it is being used to drive his value up I believe.

I highly doubt Pace needs to drive up his value. He's going in the top 6, regardless of who takes him.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I highly doubt Pace needs to drive up his value. He's going in the top 6, regardless of who takes him.

Says who? NFL.com just put up that an NFL executive said he could have a Rodgers like drop...

Nothing is guaranteed.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:

I disagree. We knew about Marshall before the trade, we knew about McPhee, foster and McDonald all before they signed. I think we have a leak in the org

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It is impossible to hide your interest in a prospect.

Too many people involved, too many people watching.

Bortles was the closest we get to a surprise and they met with him.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
you know, after mulling it over for a few days, i say go for it. i'm not personally 100% convinced on mariota, but he is a unique talent and it's been over a decade since the bears have even tried to develop a quarterback. why not just go for it? cutler is a dead end. this is a miserable draft for quarterbacks. it's winston and mariota and a bunch of guys i wouldn't touch til the 5th round.

i personally don't think the bears are going to be terrible this season. probably around .500 and a mid round pick next year. they're not going to be this close for a while in my opinion. that, and i don't think the overall talent at the top of this draft is anything special. there isn't one truly elite player in this draft, let alone 7. don't get me wrong, there are some prospects i like a lot, but weighing a potential franchise quarterback vs. this top 10 class? what the fuck? roll the dice.

Absolutely the way that I see it. If they can free themselves of that weight called Cutler around their neck, they need to do it. Even if Mariota doesn't work out, so what? They can sign three legit NFL players with the money that Cutler frees up and they do need three legit NFL players in a bad way!

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Its hard for spread qb's to succeed in the nfl with RG3 being the most recent example and again why would the titans trade for Cutler when they can have mariotta since he is vauled so highly. Hot seat or not

......cuz if they're stupid enuff to give us their 2nd pick(for jay).....maybe they can rebound and get a good player with our pick

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Absolutely the way that I see it. If they can free themselves of that weight called Cutler around their neck, they need to do it. Even if Mariota doesn't work out, so what? They can sign three legit NFL players with the money that Cutler frees up and they do need three legit NFL players in a bad way!

The money would be a huge plus.

But any rookie QB would offer a huge discount over Cutler.

Mariota would make 4-5 million for 4-5 years, that amount of low cost QB play opens up a ton of options.

RisWell

Liked Posts:
Can this thread die because all it does is get people hopes up who cant make it through another year of Cutler ball.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Can this thread die because all it does is get people hopes up who cant make it through another year of Cutler ball.

I think realistically Mariota could happen and Cutler still starts 2015.

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
The money would be a huge plus.

But any rookie QB would offer a huge discount over Cutler.

Mariota would make 4-5 million for 4-5 years, that amount of low cost QB play opens up a ton of options.

I would rather the Bears unload Cutler and send them our 7th pick to do that then draft Mariota and pay a bust qb 4-5 million a year. He won't be able to hack it in this league. I would much rather the Bears keep Cutler than get Mariota but if they must unload Cutler send the Titans our 7th with nothing in return instead of drafting Mariota so they don't have to pay his contract. You don't pay Clausen 4-5 million a year and I think Clausen has more talent than Mariota.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I would rather the Bears unload Cutler and send them our 7th pick to do that then draft Mariota and pay a bust qb 4-5 million a year. He won't be able to hack it in this league. I would much rather the Bears keep Cutler than get Mariota but if they must unload Cutler send the Titans our 7th with nothing in return instead of drafting Mariota so they don't have to pay his contract. You don't pay Clausen 4-5 million a year and I think Clausen has more talent than Mariota.

Any money suggests that you have watched a lick of tape on Mariota and are just listening to the "experts" who criticize him because he comes from a spread offense. If you watch the tape, you see an extremely talented athlete who does show examples of making NFL caliber throws and reads. He looks to beat you with his arm before his legs, he escapes and throws the ball well on the move. Keeps his eyes down field. Has a strong work ethic and is as clean as they come off the field.

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
Any money suggests that you have watched a lick of tape on Mariota and are just listening to the "experts" who criticize him because he comes from a spread offense. If you watch the tape, you see an extremely talented athlete who does show examples of making NFL caliber throws and reads. He looks to beat you with his arm before his legs, he escapes and throws the ball well on the move. Keeps his eyes down field. Has a strong work ethic and is as clean as they come off the field.

I have watched him play live and I haven't watched ESPN or any of the pre-draft hype; I can honestly say that I haven't watched any of the draft "experts" as I do not watch a whole lot of tv. I am very unimpressed with his play and do not feel that he has the accuracy to succeed at the next level; it may work at a spread offense at Oregon.

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:
y and do not feel that he has the accuracy to succeed at the next level; it may work at a spread offense at Oregon.

Clearly- no guarantee his game translates- too many variables to be sure- but accuracy is not his main issue. Spread QB's translating to the NFL, though, is a rational fear.

2s17goy.png