BR: Bears Trying To Trade Cutler to get Mariota

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Why is it such a certainty the the Bears will continue to lose no matter the QB? If the Bears were to draft Petty in the 3rd and rebuilt the defense in this year and next years draft you don't think the Bears could be good in a year or two.

I can't wait to see the Bears win with someone else so the Cutler fans can bitch that the Bears could have done the same with Cutler if they held on to him.

It wouldn't be petty's doing. The rules here are the qb never wins us games only losses. I hiess you havent been paying attention the past 40 years. Im not against moving from Cutler I just know what is coming for the next qb and the next one and the next one

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It wouldn't be petty's doing. The rules here are the qb never wins us games only losses. I hiess you havent been paying attention the past 40 years. Im not against moving from Cutler I just know what is coming for the next qb and the next one and the next one

I really wish you (and others, not trying to single you out PiB) wouldn't take what a small handful of retards say and brand it as a "rule here"

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If the Bears land Mariota and jettison Cutler in 2016 they could move into 2016 with Mariota as their starting QB and close to 50 million in cap space.

Cutler 4 million (17 if traded)
Forte 10 million
Allen 12.5 million

26.5 million coming back onto the cap.

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

The next QB could be really good.

Cutler is the definition of mediocre, he is probably the 16th or 17th best QB in the league, it is not crazy to think someone will be an upgrade considering where the bar is set.

It is not a guarantee, but it is far from an impossibility.

And we will agree to disagree that Mariota is that guy.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Fact. The Bears are in need of a major over-all as a team.

Fact. There are no quick fixes for this team to contend.

Fact. The Bears are sorely behind both GB and Detroit in their own division.

Fact. The Bears have no future with Jay Cutler as their quarterback.

Fact. The Bears need better players right now via free agency and trades.

Partial Solution(s):

1. TRADE CUTLER FOR MARIOTA

2. USE THE MONEY SAVED TO REBUILD THE O-LINE AND DEFENSIVE SECONDARY

3. BRING IN A CARE-TAKER QB AS MENTOR TO MARIOTA

No more quick fixes and half measures. This team needs to roll the dice and hope that they hit a few sevens in a row with new players. Cutler needs to go. He is a fucking open sore that will never heal.

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
The next QB could be really good.

Cutler is the definition of mediocre, he is probably the 16th or 17th best QB in the league, it is not crazy to think someone will be an upgrade considering where the bar is set.

It is not a guarantee, but it is far from an impossibility.

And we will agree to disagree that Mariota is that guy.

I think Mariota has the potential to be mediocre but I believe he will be a bust.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's not just about a RG3 deal or Andrew luck type prospect. GM's need to be 100% certain when they draft a QB in the first round regardless. Once you draft a QB in the first round you are basically saying this is the guy who will lead us now and/or into the future because it is going to cripple you regardless

Lets assume that the Bears do not trade for Mariota and decide to wait another year with Cutler and company. Last year they were 5-11 and had one of the oldest rosters in the NFL. They gave away their best receiver (Marshall) and best defensive lineman(Paea). They added a bunch of one year contracts in the meantime, none of whom were big time impact players.

Barring somekind of trade, they will have the chance of drafting maybe two impact players with their first two picks. The problem is that they will have still way too many weak spots on their team and still have a big time mess on their hands at the quarterback position(Cutler and his fat contract).

What I am saying is that failing to get rid of Cutler if they can is a dumb decision. Not doing it, merely adds another shitty year for the fans of this team and just postpones the QB roulette table spin for another year. As far as I can read the tea leaves, there really isn't an Andrew Luck coming up in 2016 either so what do they gain by waiting?

Get out of that damn contract if you can possibly do it! IF you can do it, speed up the re-build!

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
Lets assume that the Bears do not trade for Mariota and decide to wait another year with Cutler and company. Last year they were 5-11 and had one of the oldest rosters in the NFL. They gave away their best receiver (Marshall) and best defensive lineman(Paea). They added a bunch of one year contracts in the meantime, none of whom were big time impact players.

Barring somekind of trade, they will have the chance of drafting maybe two impact players with their first two picks. The problem is that they will have still way too many weak spots on their team and still have a big time mess on their hands at the quarterback position(Cutler and his fat contract).

What I am saying is that failing to get rid of Cutler if they can is a dumb decision. Not doing it, merely adds another shitty year for the fans of this team and just postpones the QB roulette table spin for another year. As far as I can read the tea leaves, there really isn't an Andrew Luck coming up in 2016 either so what do they gain by waiting?

Get out of that damn contract if you can possibly do it! IF you can do it, speed up the re-build!

So you want them to draft a quarterback who has the potential to be mediocre? I don't care if we move on from Cutler, but reaching for a qb when we will not be drafting as high as 7 in the near future again is not smart imo. We need to use this pick wisely and not reach for a quarterback in the first. Picking a qb in the third round would be ideal as the talent in this draft is not very good at quarterback.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The other side of this deal, I think, is that the Titans are a lot closer to being a very good NFL team than the Bears are but they are weak at the QB position. What this means to them is that they get in return a mid level NFL quarterback as well as a high number one pick. Taking the quarterbacks out of the discussion, I do not see much difference in the top five non qb positions in this draft. I think that it is really a TEAM NEEDS discussion not a CAN'T MISS discussion. The advantage to the Titans is that they would get two starting players immediately into their team and improve their team. That is the other side of this deal.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams

It's easy to point fingers at the vocal few...I am guilty of it. But we both know that the majority of this board does not view Cutler as the sole reason for losses much less any of the QB's previously. Every facet of the team can be considered as contributors to a loss. Does the QB receive the bulk of the blame? Sure...Can people make a case that a team won despite the QB's play? Of course...But to say that the overall view of the board is that it is only the QB's fault for losses and he had no part in the wins is a little much.

I think your efforts in standing up against those vocal few has worn on you...maybe you should take a vacation, go somewhere sunny and have yourself a delicious chicken parm. Stay away from the boards and come back rejuvenated.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Imagine if you were forced to wear a hockey skate for a year without ever taking it off for the full 12 months. Just one skate, not both. And then, finally, the day comes when you get to take it off.

I will miss Cutler as much as you would miss that skate.

Yeah.....I'd miss Cutler as much as I would miss that root canal that I had years back that lasted forever before they fixed it!

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So you want them to draft a quarterback who has the potential to be mediocre? I don't care if we move on from Cutler, but reaching for a qb when we will not be drafting as high as 7 in the near future again is not smart imo. We need to use this pick wisely and not reach for a quarterback in the first. Picking a qb in the third round would be ideal as the talent in this draft is not very good at quarterback.

How would picking a QB in the 3rd round in a weak draft ideal? Wouldn't you be wasting a 3rd round pick on a bad player.

Why do you feel Mariota's ceiling is mediocre?

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 21s21 seconds ago
As @AdamSchefter said, Marcus Mariota met with the Bears. I'm told that meeting happened at the beginning of the month in Chicago.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
@AlbertBreer: As @AdamSchefter said, Marcus Mariota met with the Bears. I'm told that meeting happened at the beginning of the month in Chicago.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Have we taken Marcus with the #2 pick yet?

Nothing says #2 overall w/ possible loss of future high picks like a guy you are sure is not prepared to play this yr, and who never ran anything remotely close to a pro-style offense in his whole life.

But heck, we all wanna get rid of Can'tLER so lets take that plunge.

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
How would picking a QB in the 3rd round in a weak draft ideal? Wouldn't you be wasting a 3rd round pick on a bad player.

Why do you feel Mariota's ceiling is mediocre?

Jimmy Clausen and Brady Quinn were much better prospects than Mariota. We already have Clausen and I think Quinn could be picked up relatively cheap instead of wasting a first round pick on Mariota.

southloopstern

Liked Posts:
@AlbertBreer: As @AdamSchefter said, Marcus Mariota met with the Bears. I'm told that meeting happened at the beginning of the month in Chicago.

It would be a dream come true if the Titans were dumb enough to trade #2 for Cutler (and #7). Won't happen though. Been reading around and the titans are heavily invested in Mariota. Some of the stuff they're saying and doing does NOT scream smokescreen. They were 1 of 3 teams that heavily scouted him his senior season, they've met with him multiple times - combine, sent 10 people to his pro day, private workout after pro day, private workout in tenn, gave him their playbook at the combine, whisenhunt speaks adoringly of the kid and in great detail.

I hope this is a huge, elaborate smokescreen that somehow fails and doesn't lead to a trade, and Mariota falls to 7. If he's there at 7, we take him. I really don't know what people see in next year's crop of qb's. Cook, Hackenberg haven't shown anything close to what Mariota's done. Worse mechanics, terrible accuracy especially when pressured, inconsistent passer, really bad decision making when under pressure. Has one great play and then a string of WTF plays. Coming from a prostyle offense doesn't mean anything when you lack accuracy and decision making.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Jimmy Clausen and Brady Quinn were much better prospects than Mariota. We already have Clausen and I think Quinn could be picked up relatively cheap instead of wasting a first round pick on Mariota.

No they weren't.

And just because a guy fails does not mean everyone ranked lower than him by the media will as well. Aaron Rodgers was ranked lower than Alex Smith.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
@BuckyBrooks: John Fox was always intrigued by athletic QBs when we were together w @Panthers . Ex-DC knows mobile QBs stress D. https://t.co/VNHReRFxvw