BR: Bears Trying To Trade Cutler to get Mariota

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
At best it means that you don't use the Heisman in your evaluations, period. This is like saying that because 5 of 6 qbs drafted every year don't become great that you should never draft one. Just silly twisting of logic. Here's a stat. 1/2 of Super Bowl winning QBs were early 1st round picks. Does it mean we should anything we can to get Mariota? Of course not....unless the coaches think he's worth it on evaluation. This is about individuals and not generalities.

With our luck, we'll draft him and he'll be on the cover of Madden or Sports Illustrated.

Using your example, 5 out of 6 don't become great, those 1 out of 6 aren't Heisman trophy winners. So, to get a higher chance of drafting a great quarterback would to be eliminate the Heisman winners. I think some of the selection criterion for a Heisman winner has to do with those quarterbacks not being great in the NFL. Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Luck, Montana, Young, Marino, Elway, and Luck were not Heisman winners. You can't tell me that these quarterbacks were not really good in college football and weren't deserving of the Heisman because of their play. There has to be something with the selection process that is based off some skills that don't translate into NFL success for college quarterbacks.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
:clap::facepalm:

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:
Using your example, 5 out of 6 don't become great, those 1 out of 6 aren't Heisman trophy winners. So, to get a higher chance of drafting a great quarterback would to be eliminate the Heisman winners. I think some of the selection criterion for a Heisman winner has to do with those quarterbacks not being great in the NFL. Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Luck, Montana, Young, Marino, Elway, and Luck were not Heisman winners. You can't tell me that these quarterbacks were not really good in college football and weren't deserving of the Heisman because of their play. There has to be something with the selection process that is based off some skills that don't translate into NFL success for college quarterbacks.
You are a very special little guy.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Using your example, 5 out of 6 don't become great, those 1 out of 6 aren't Heisman trophy winners. So, to get a higher chance of drafting a great quarterback would to be eliminate the Heisman winners. I think some of the selection criterion for a Heisman winner has to do with those quarterbacks not being great in the NFL.
FIFY

And if not:

bd8b40f6104828a3ba1c55f49560df16a95f365802f0b53be374065c860141c2.jpg

Mitchapalooza

.@JasonPhilCole listed the Redskins, Jets, Bears, Rams, Cleveland & Philadelphia are all in the bidding for Mariota w/ TEN.

strobiwan

Liked Posts:
.@JasonPhilCole listed the Redskins, Jets, Bears, Rams, Cleveland & Philadelphia are all in the bidding for Mariota w/ TEN.

a lot of this doesn't make sense to me.
what was the point of the Philly/rams trade?
has Washington completely giving up on RG3 and Cousins? and would they repeat the trade up mistake they just made, when they got RG3?
the Browns just spent a 1st on a QB, are they giving up on Manziel already?

The Jets and the Bears are the only teams that kinda make sense, imo.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

So every team that needs a QB? Sounds like speculation rather than reporting.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
a lot of this doesn't make sense to me.
what was the point of the Philly/rams trade?
has Washington completely giving up on RG3 and Cousins? and would they repeat the trade up mistake they just made, when they got RG3?
the Browns just spent a 1st on a QB, are they giving up on Manziel already?

The Jets and the Bears are the only teams that kinda make sense, imo.

The Rams are only tied to Foles for this upcoming season and one could argue the point was to shed salary, acquire a competent starter and draft picks. Even if they did acquire Mariota they could use Foles as a bridge. There is also the possibility they use Foles as a trade chip in an attempt to move up.

Washington's coach has clearly given up on his current crop of QBs, RG3 in particular, but management still appears tied to him so I agree they don't seem like a suitor.

The Browns did spend a first round pick on a QB last year but he has spent the offseason in rehab and can't seem to be relied on off the field or on it at this point. Mariota has also spent the offseason training with the Browns QB coach so they have some insight to him at this point.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

you don't understand probability or causality in the least

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I am a Mariota supporter.

But I am not interested in a bidding war or an RGIII type deal for him.

I think you could design a really effective offense around him, but the risk is also very present.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
wtf is wrong with Washington. At this rate, they will only get 2 first round player in this decade.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
There is an extreme correlation between selecting a Heisman trophy winner and not succeeding in the NFL. If I told you that in the past 50 days that it rained every day and today there may be a chance that it won't, do you still bring your umbrella? If this was an Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning Heisman trophy winner (they didn't get selected as Heisman winners), then it would be a safe bet to go against the trend. The trend would be to pick those guys because they weren't Heisman winners, neither was Joe Montana, nor was Tom Brady.

The lesson here is that you should not put value on the fact that a QB won the Heisman. It shouldn't be considered a plus. Whether the QB did or did not win the Heisman is a nonfactor in his NFL success. You base your decision on the kid's abilities. Physical, metal, emotional. Whatever you grade any prospect on, you use here as well.

But you don't AVOID a guy you like because he DID win. That's just plain dumb.

Avoiding the guy who won isn't dumb if you have reasons that you don't think he will succeed. But don't avoid a guy you otherwise would take simply based on the results of the Heisman voting.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

The selection process for the Heisman has become what it is for MVP's in the pros. Eliminate all but the top two or three teams. Take the player from those teams who played best, and he wins. (Oh, and it can only be a QB.) It is the insane logic, that is very prevalent nowadays, unfortunately, that a guy can't be the best player if his team isn't the best team. It is idiotic.

And years ago, the Heisman criterion was this: Who are the 5 guys we know about in August? They are your five candidates, and nobody else has a chance, no matter how well they play, because we narrowed the field before the season started.

The HEisman voting has always been stupid.

strobiwan

Liked Posts:
I am a Mariota supporter.

But I am not interested in a bidding war or an RGIII type deal for him.

I think you could design a really effective offense around him, but the risk is also very present.

if there is that many teams bidding on him, then its gonna cost an arm and a leg to move up.
so unless the coaching staff views him as the next Luck, then I think it better to bow out of any bidding war.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
@AaronLemingNFL: LRT: the #Bears do like QB Marcus Mariota but last I was told they are NOT in a "bidding war" to make a trade up to #2.

Nor should they be. If there was any type of bidding war- someone would have traded up to #2 already.

I honestly believe if the Titans stay at 2- they'll pass on Mariota and take Williams. In regards to Tennessee still being in possession of #2, I believe they want Williams and will only move if they feel they get a lot in return. However, I don't see that happening unless they move just to move....and they can't do that because Williams is too good. I believe it would take more than #7 & #39...which is just more than I'd want the Bears to give.

At #3- I believe you could flip #7 & #39 to move up as Jacksonville is still building with and will still have a number of pass rushers to choose from at #7 while picking up #39. At #4- I'd have to believe the Raiders would still demand #39 with #7 just because they could probably turn around and get a 3rd from Washington or the Jets....if those teams did really want Mariota that is.

Bottom line- I don't see us finding out what the Titans/Bears will do until the draft. The Titans should treat their pick as if they have the #1 pick as they can get Williams, but teams shouldn't deal up to #2 at all cost to get Mariota. I don't even feel comfortable giving up #7 AND #39, but we'll see what happens.

RisWell

Liked Posts:
Leonard Williams is going #1.

These mock draft miss on majority of there picks in the first round.