BR: Bears Trying To Trade Cutler to get Mariota

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I really think Gase and Mariota could be a nice pairing.

What the Broncos were doing in Denver had a lot of spread concepts.

-Lots of 1 back, zone runs.

-Almost exclusively 3 WR sets

-Tons of shotgun snaps, partly because Manning cannot move anymore.

-Tons of WR screens and rubs to DeMaryus Thomas.

-Selective deep shots and a ton of layered routes.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:

That spread would get the crap beat out of it by the defenses in the North if we have to deal up to get Mariota and fail to fill a ton of holes around him because we won't have enough picks to build around him.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
wtf is wrong with Washington. At this rate, they will only get 2 first round player in this decade.

They have the CCS logic of anyone but the guy we have now which is why they have sucked for a long ass time

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
@AaronLemingNFL: LRT: the #Bears do like QB Marcus Mariota but last I was told they are NOT in a "bidding war" to make a trade up to #2.

TN needs a qb, why would they pass on a qb if they think he is going to be good?

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
The idea of trading up to #2 was idiotic to begin with. Do you guys realize how much it would cost to move up that high? All for a guy that might be good, might not be good. If we were talking about trading up for a guarantee like Andrew Luck, then yeah, break the bank for that. But Mariota is far from Andrew Luck-potential.

FireFox

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I know I have been vocal about being anti-Mariota. I have been a bit of a prude at times, but I respect your opinion Windy. You know a lot more about the X's and O's than I do. It is nice to see some insight on why you think Mariota could succeed.

Space Invader

Dorkchop
Liked Posts:
They have the CCS logic of anyone but the guy we have now which is why they have sucked for a long ass time

Dude, you and I both love the Bears obviously; but let's be real...the Bears ain't been great either by sticking with #6.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:

He also completely changed the offense on the fly with Mike McCoy for Tebow. He could definitely design plays to get Mariota comfortable early and maximize his skillset.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That spread would get the crap beat out of it by the defenses in the North if we have to deal up to get Mariota and fail to fill a ton of holes around him because we won't have enough picks to build around him.

The defenses of the North suck, outside of Detroit last season and they lost their 2 best defensive tackles.

The Broncos play in a division with top defense and had success. The Chiefs and Chargers are better than any defense in the north this season.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I know I have been vocal about being anti-Mariota. I have been a bit of a prude at times, but I respect your opinion Windy. You know a lot more about the X's and O's than I do. It is nice to see some insight on why you think Mariota could succeed.

I am not trying to sell anyone that there is no risk.

But this system is not as much a departure from what Mariota has done then say the Colts, which is a far more traditional pro style offense. There are elements that Mariota has experience with and you can tailor other elements to him. His ability to run would also add another element that Denver didn't have.

John Fox's interest, as documented by his former scout Bucky Brooks, in mobile athletic QBs could also add to the intrigue.

Whether Peyton created the system or not, it is the system that Gase knows and runs and I am guessing he is running it in Chicago.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The idea of trading up to #2 was idiotic to begin with. Do you guys realize how much it would cost to move up that high? All for a guy that might be good, might not be good. If we were talking about trading up for a guarantee like Andrew Luck, then yeah, break the bank for that. But Mariota is far from Andrew Luck-potential.

What will be the cost of trading up for Conner Cook?

No more of a sure thing, definetly not an Andrew Luck type, and next season the Bears will more than likely be further away, upping the cost.

At some point you have to take a swing.

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
At the rate it's going, if the Bears truly want Mariota they may need to move to the first pick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:

No more of a sure thing, definetly not an Andrew Luck type, and next season the Bears will more than likely be further away, upping the cost.

i might be overly optimistic but i think it will be a while before the bears are this close to the top of the draft. if you look at john fox's history, outside that last disastrous season in carolina, his teams never lost more then 9 games. i'm not saying the bears are going to the play-offs, but i think with a reigned in cutler they're around .500 and the middle of the first round.

i think it's time to roll the dice. mariota is a unique talent. he offers a skill set few quarterbacks bring to the table, and he doesn't strike me as a player who will never be a successful pocket passer. it's no sure thing, but there's really no reason to think he can't develop there. use him in a similar way to russell wilson with a run heavy offense while he's learning.

what the fuck. i'm so tired of cutler and it's not like this team is poised to make a super bowl run. the quickest way to that goal is to find a quarterback. if you think there's a better then decent chance that mariota is that guy, go for it.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Based on what you said, Windy, I guess I'd be okay taking a shot at Mariota if he falls to seven then. I'd feel better about it if both Cooper/White were gone as well.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
The defenses of the North suck, outside of Detroit last season and they lost their 2 best defensive tackles.

The Broncos play in a division with top defense and had success. The Chiefs and Chargers are better than any defense in the north this season.

I disagree- I feel the Vikes have young pieces everywhere defensively and are building what Cincy had.

The Broncos also had Peyton Manning picking those defenses a part.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:

At least we hope we're further away than #7.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
what the fuck. i'm so tired of cutler and it's not like this team is poised to make a super bowl run. the quickest way to that goal is to find a quarterback. if you think there's a better then decent chance that mariota is that guy, go for it.

This is not how you run a successful NFL franchise. This sounds like the Browns way of doing things recently....

Also, can you define a better than decent chance in quantifiable terms.

Also, can you give us a timeline on when we'll be able to discern he is "the guy">?