Braves moving to a new ballpark (already?)

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm posting this link because I'm not a Braves fan, but I am overly concerned at what precedent a move like this creates.

The Braves will move 2017 to a brand new taxpayer funded ballpark.  The stadium they have occupied will only be a tad over 20 years old when it closes.

Why are teams/owners allowed to do this?  

Just imagine if McD and company get a bright idea in their skulls to create United Center II.</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Having been to this park I will say it's nice, but it definitely didn't compete with the top parks in the league. Didn't they just throw it up or do a massive remodel on it after the Olympics to make it a baseball stadium? I think they just removed some seats. I think this is a scenario more about them needing a park to rival other clubs and be baseball specif not that it's too old? it was a little weird getting to even though it was still considered downtownish. I think it's a good move for the braves... bad move for taxpayers of course, and especially if this is a new trend but I would bet this is an exception not the rule going forward.</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Video wouldn't play, cliffnotes? I assume people are upset because having the stadium so close to them is going to totally fuck them on game days and such. As well as jack up their taxes?</p>

JOVE23

Liked Posts:
One person was upset the others were thrilled as that is a professional office half a mile from where the stadium is gonna be and they think it's going to be great for the local area.</p>

</p>

Also scroll down the page some (slot 2, under the video) to see what we've been writing about on this all day.</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
It will definitely put them on the map and draw the population in that direction... but at what cost? With they all be as thrilled when the area skyrockets in popularity and they're all forced to move because of the sprawl and being outpriced... we'll see. It's like that for every area though, wish the united center would have been a bigger boon for that area.</p>

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MassHavoc" data-cid="213636" data-time="1384208404">
<div>

It will definitely put them on the map and draw the population in that direction... but at what cost? With they all be as thrilled when the area skyrockets in popularity and they're all forced to move because of the sprawl and being outpriced... we'll see. It's like that for every area though, wish the united center would have been a bigger boon for that area.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

For years the UC was basically the only thing in that area.  You parked, attempted not to get mugged, go watch a game hoping your car wasn't broken into (which mine has been).

The area around it is 10x better than it was just 10 years ago.  It's Chicago, so everything takes 10 times longer to improve (or made safe for white people).</p>

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="BlackhawkPaul" data-cid="213676" data-time="1384268353">
<div>

For years the UC was basically the only thing in that area.  You parked, attempted not to get mugged, go watch a game hoping your car wasn't broken into (which mine has been).

The area around it is 10x better than it was just 10 years ago.  It's Chicago, so everything takes 10 times longer to improve (or made safe for white people).</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

<span style="color:#ee82ee;">racist</span></p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="BlackhawkPaul" data-cid="213676" data-time="1384268353">
<div>

</div>
</blockquote>

I'm not saying it wasn't a big upgrade for the area, but you still have to go way down the street for anything close to the stadium. There is nothing conveniently close. You have to walk 5 minutes through parking lots just to get to the KFC on the corner hah. I think the new complex they are going to put up on the parking area next to the stadium could help. I always hate to see parking get ate up, but in the UC's case it just isolates the place so much from the surrounding area. Would love to see some parking complexes go up and some of the lots get removed. Course, then I'll just bitch about how much it is to park... even though I don't park.</p>

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MassHavoc" data-cid="213629" data-time="1384207237">
<div>

Having been to this park I will say it's nice, but it definitely didn't compete with the top parks in the league. Didn't they just throw it up or do a massive remodel on it after the Olympics to make it a baseball stadium? I think they just removed some seats. I think this is a scenario more about them needing a park to rival other clubs and be baseball specif not that it's too old? it was a little weird getting to even though it was still considered downtownish. I think it's a good move for the braves... bad move for taxpayers of course, and especially if this is a new trend but I would bet this is an exception not the rule going forward.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

They couldn't have made a new stadium across the street? 

Forgive me, but I feel this issue is moot. While I agree that what they are doing is a total piece of dung to taxpayers and it was a mile away from the nearest Marta stop, I believe this is actually a racist issue. South of Turner Field is a part of Atlanta's ghetto. It was never fixed, nor did they bother. 

In short, I personally feel the lack of attendance is due to the populace and affluent people's fears of going to that neighborhood. Racism still exists in Atlanta by the looks of it, nor did they do anything to fix that neighborhood up in the process. </p>

</p>

Moving 10 miles away and nowhere near a Marta stop is not going to win some fans over. The Braves have truly spoken and it shows.</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Well... They are one of the most successful teams of the last 2 decades and their attendance still sucks, so racist or not moving away is justified.</p>

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MassHavoc" data-cid="213944" data-time="1384450531">
<div>

Well... They are one of the most successful teams of the last 2 decades and their attendance still sucks, so racist or not moving away is justified.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

I'd love to think Montreal could still get the Braves, but I doubt that. </p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="CLWolf81" data-cid="214094" data-time="1384530124">
<div>

I'd love to think Montreal could still get the Braves, but I doubt that. </p>
</div>
</blockquote>

Not anymore... and they don't deserve them. fuck montreal.</p>

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MassHavoc" data-cid="213944" data-time="1384450531">
<div>

</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Justified yes, but not on the backs of the taxpayers. Let these team owners pay their own way.</p>

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="CLWolf81" data-cid="213928" data-time="1384444829">
<div>

They couldn't have made a new stadium across the street? 

Forgive me, but I feel this issue is moot. While I agree that what they are doing is a total piece of dung to taxpayers and it was a mile away from the nearest Marta stop, I believe this is actually a racist issue. South of Turner Field is a part of Atlanta's ghetto. It was never fixed, nor did they bother. 

In short, I personally feel the lack of attendance is due to the populace and affluent people's fears of going to that neighborhood. Racism still exists in Atlanta by the looks of it, nor did they do anything to fix that neighborhood up in the process. </p>

</p>

Moving 10 miles away and nowhere near a Marta stop is not going to win some fans over. The Braves have truly spoken and it shows.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

I have a buddy who lived here in the PacNW for awhile and has since relocated to Atlanta.  He is black, so he's got some sensitivity to the issue, but he does say that there's a feel in Atlanta that racism--even overt racism is socially okay, as opposed to the PacNW where it's socially unacceptable. </p>

</p>
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Spunky Porkstacker" data-cid="214191" data-time="1384567379">
<div>

Justified yes, but not on the backs of the taxpayers. Let these team owners pay their own way.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

I think it depends...if the citizenry voted to use taxpayer funds then there's no excuse. if they voted *down* the use of taxpayer funds, and the stadium was still built by taxpayer funds then the politicians who authorised that need a good, long stint in Pound-me-in-the-ass-prison.</p>

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="LordKOTL" data-cid="214465" data-time="1384799620">
<div>

I have a buddy who lived here in the PacNW for awhile and has since relocated to Atlanta.  He is black, so he's got some sensitivity to the issue, but he does say that there's a feel in Atlanta that racism--even overt racism is socially okay, as opposed to the PacNW where it's socially unacceptable. </p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

And the fact its "socially ok" is why the Braves are moving to the suburbs. Seriously, the Braves could have done so much for the surrounding neighborhood, but they instead neglected it... and blacks didn't seem to care about the fact there was a baseball team in their neighborhood, where there could have been ways to make the community stronger as a whole. </p>

</p>

I fail to understand who the good guys are in all this... Atlanta sports fail again. </p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="CLWolf81" data-cid="214564" data-time="1384860712">
<div>

And the fact its "socially ok" is why the Braves are moving to the suburbs. Seriously, the Braves could have done so much for the surrounding neighborhood, but they instead neglected it... and blacks didn't seem to care about the fact there was a baseball team in their neighborhood, where there could have been ways to make the community stronger as a whole. </p>

</p>

I fail to understand who the good guys are in all this... Atlanta sports fail again. </p>
</div>
</blockquote>

Fuck that... if the Olympics can't help the surrounding area and the braves can't, no one can.</p>