1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Long one of baseball's most financially solid franchises, the Cubs find themselves on a list of teams on the wrong side of Major League Baseball's debt rules.

They are one of nine franchises in violation of MLB's debt service rules, according to information presented in a confidential briefing at the owners meetings last month and confirmed to the Los Angeles Times by three people familiar with the presentation.

The Dodgers and Mets have been in headlines for their troubles and find themselves among the nine with the Cubs. Those three are joined by the Orioles, Tigers, Marlins, Phillies, Rangers and Nationals as teams out of compliance with MLB's rules, according to sources, none of whom was authorized to disclose the information.

With only $120.4 million in guaranteed salaries on the books beyond 2011, the Cubs' debt issues would not appear to be tied to their roster. By comparison, the Yankees owe $469.3 million to players under contract. The White Sox owe $207.8 million to players.

More likely, the Cubs' appearance on the list is the result of the financing stipulations between Tom Ricketts and his family and Tribune Co. to assume control of the team in October 2009. The $845 million deal included Wrigley Field and part of Comcast SportsNet Chicago.

Cubs spokesman Peter Chase said the club would defer comment to MLB on the issue because it "is a topic involving many teams."

Debt service rules emerged during labor negotiations in 2002 after overall club debt soared from $600 million in 1993 to $2.1 billion in 1999 and $3.1 billion in 2001. Since then, baseball revenues have jumped from $3.6 billion in 2002 — the last year seriously threatened by a strike or lockout — to $7 billion in 2010.

The rules, intended to ensure clubs have the resources to support their financial obligations, generally limit a team's debt to 10 times its annual earnings, although Commissioner Bud Selig has wide latitude to enforce those rules. Selig declined to comment for this story.

A prominent sports investment banker said his industry is "somewhat concerned" about MLB's ability to ensure its teams remain on solid economic footing.

Rob Manfred, baseball's executive vice president of labor relations, would not confirm the number of teams in violation or identify them.

"To take a snapshot of the number of non-compliant clubs at a point in time can be very misleading," Manfred said. "With one or two exceptions, we see how teams are going to be compliant again in the short term, so we're not worried about them."

The chief executive of one National League club called the number of teams out of compliance "a hiccup" and said the commissioner's office has worked to correct the situation before lenders could become reluctant to extend financing.

In October, as the Cubs were announcing a new premium ticket tier that included a 12 percent average increase for games against the Yankees, White Sox and Cardinals, the club said overall prices would be "essentially flat" this season.

However, Team Marketing Report said the Cubs had the highest average ticket in baseball in 2010 at $52.56. Cubs President Crane Kenney disputed the ranking, saying the Cubs were fourth.

In December, the Cubs pitched a plan to use tax dollars to finance more than $200 million in improvements to Wrigley Field. The proposal failed to get any steam behind it.

The Mets announced last week they had agreed to sell a minority share in the team for $200 million. Dodgers owner Frank McCourt has said he is not interested in selling a share of his team.

McCourt last year asked for approval of a $200 million loan from Fox. Selig rejected the deal, in part because the Dodgers' debt load would have increased from $525 million to $725 million.

Chicago Cubs: Chicago Cubs on list in violation of Major League Baseball debt service rules - Chicago Tribune

This explains why Ricketts has been so frustrated about money and not wanting to spend...

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Meh I don't think its a big deal. He just bought the team so he is going to be in major debt right now.

We aren't the Mets or Dodgers and I am sure this happens a lot with teams that are just purchased.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Meh I don't think its a big deal. He just bought the team so he is going to be in major debt right now.

We aren't the Mets or Dodgers and I am sure this happens a lot with teams that are just purchased.
That was my initial thought as well...the dude just laid down close to $1BILL to purchase the team...of course he's in debt.

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
It would be kind of two faced for MLB to come down on the Cubs because of some purchasing arrangement when they, essentially, awarded the team to the Ricketts who didnt even make the highest bid. In part, this is a problem of MLBs own making.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
That was my initial thought as well...the dude just laid down close to $1BILL to purchase the team...of course he's in debt.

He should have thought about paying for something he having trouble affording. He has to pay back his loans + try to keep Cubs afloat. I know this really isnt a big deal but i dont want this to give him an excuse to be able to cut payroll. Cubs are in the 3rd largest city in USA, 2nd most marketable team in all of baseball. If he cant afford to have one of the top payrolls in baseball then he should sell the Cubs so Cub fans dont have to suffer watching more bad baseball for the next 20 years.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He should have thought about paying for something he having trouble affording. He has to pay back his loans + try to keep Cubs afloat. I know this really isnt a big deal but i dont want this to give him an excuse to be able to cut payroll. Cubs are in the 3rd largest city in USA, 2nd most marketable team in all of baseball. If he cant afford to have one of the top payrolls in baseball then he should sell the Cubs so Cub fans dont have to suffer watching more bad baseball for the next 20 years.

well according to me, most likely ricketts, and to quite a few posters success is defined by Wins not by the largest payroll or have some arbitrary threshold. But I suppose you can figure it anyway you want.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
well according to me, most likely ricketts, and to quite a few posters success is defined by Wins not by the largest payroll or have some arbitrary threshold. But I suppose you can figure it anyway you want.

Bigger payrolls win alot more then lower payrolls. Yes there are ur small market teams that win every once in while like FLA,TBR but the NYY,BOS,PHI win ALOT MORE

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
Bigger payrolls win alot more then lower payrolls. Yes there are ur small market teams that win every once in while like FLA,TBR but the NYY,BOS,PHI win ALOT MORE

Yanks and Boston have farm systems we dont. My point in the other thread is if we build though the farm we will be a much better team.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This can all be attributed to the ownership transition..

At this point MLB wont do anything.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
This can all be attributed to the ownership transition..

At this point MLB wont do anything.

IK, I posted this mainly because people have been bitching about Ricketts being cheap and wanting people to buy more expensive tickets.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Big payroll still doesnt = success. Look at the Mets.

Again thats 1 team...NYY,BOS,PHI have won ALOT lately and thats with Big payrolls. Spending money makes it easier. Can it also hurt a team yes. Thats the consequence you could get but Cubs have to TRY since 103+ years now of NO WS

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yanks and Boston have farm systems we dont. My point in the other thread is if we build though the farm we will be a much better team.

NYY is system overated. BOS does have a good farm. Cubs is getting better but they still have to spend the money

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
From a business standpoint, Ricketts is doing exactly what he needs to. Raise prices to cover his debt. The payroll isn't helping either. Once he recovers that, he should lower prices. With the way the Tribune was handling things, it was expected to leave a mess like this for whoever purchased the team.

If Ricketts still continues this same BS after that, then he's not the owner the Cubs need. His interests should be focused on winning. If it's more on his own financial success, then screw him. The Cubs fans deserve a title and an owner who's competent and who wants a championship as much as the fans do.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

not a big deal? :rolleyes:

Rick

Liked Posts:
Here's a piece from this article, Report: Cubs In Financial Trouble

"Joe Ricketts, the father of team chairman Tom Ricketts, said back in 2010 that he wasn’t keen on purchasing a sports team. But once Tom told him that the Cubs traditionally sell tickets whether the team wins or loses, the elder Ricketts agreed to pursue ownership."

Tom Ricketts: Hey daddy, let's buy the Cubs. All Cubs' fans are suckers and they'll go to the games no matter what. We can put a crappy product on the field every year and the fans will still flock to Wrigley like flies on shit. They don't care about whats happening in the game, all they want to do is get drunk and act like animals. I'll even tell them that I met my wife in the bleachers to butter them up and then they'll love me.

Joe Ricketts: Sounds like a great idea son, let's do it....now my great-great-great grandchildren will be counting money their entire lives just like us! Good work sport!

Tom Ricketts is a slimeball, all he cares about is money. Screw him.

Friggin imbecile
2hcj6vt.jpg

Last edited:

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here's a piece from this article, Report: Cubs In Financial Trouble

"Joe Ricketts, the father of team chairman Tom Ricketts, said back in 2010 that he wasn’t keen on purchasing a sports team. But once Tom told him that the Cubs traditionally sell tickets whether the team wins or loses, the elder Ricketts agreed to pursue ownership."

Tom Ricketts: Hey daddy, let's buy the Cubs. All Cubs' fans are suckers and they'll go to the games no matter what. We can put a crappy product on the field every year and the fans will still flock to Wrigley like flies on shit. They don't care about whats happening in the game, all they want to do is get drunk and act like animals. I'll even tell them that I met my wife in the bleachers to butter them up and then they'll love me.

Joe Ricketts: Sounds like a great idea son, let's do it....now my great-great-great grandchildren will be counting money their entire lives just like us! Good work sport!

Tom Ricketts is a slimeball, all he cares about is money. Screw him.

Friggin imbecile
2hcj6vt.jpg

:date: you just became my favorite person on here