Brian Bogusevic for LF in 2014?

Liked Posts:
Anyone catch the scoreboard shot he hit at Miller Park a few days ago?

As far is I'm concerned, there is only one given to start in the outfield for us next year, and that is Junior Lake. However, if I had to choose between Sweeney, Schierholtz, and Bogusevic, I would go with Bogu because he's been the most consistent WITH THE BAT. While he doesn't have a good track record against lefties, 91 career at-bats (including just 12 this year), is the definition of "sample size".

If we were to sign a significant free agent this winter, I would go with Pence over Choo. Hopefully you guys aren't overlooking our current need for a right-handed run-producer. I would sign Pence to a front-loaded three-year deal (if possible) with mutual options for a 4th and 5th year.

My 2014 outfield would look like this:

LF Brian Bogusevic
CF Junior Lake
RF Hunter Pence

...With Ryan Sweeney and Thomas Neal as backups.

I would not tender an offer to Schierholtz if we are able to land a big-name free agent outfielder.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well Schierholtz will be back and the starting RF next year. Plus, I'd rather have Sweeney starting over Bogusevic.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I would like to see a few younger guys from the minors get a chance to compete for a roster spot during spring training. Matt Szczur, Brett Jackson (I know he struggled but still) and Josh Vitters (I don't know if he can play in the outfield but at least let him compete for third base.)

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would like to see a few younger guys from the minors get a chance to compete for a roster spot during spring training. Matt Szczur, Brett Jackson (I know he struggled but still) and Josh Vitters (I don't know if he can play in the outfield but at least let him compete for third base.)

Vitters can't play third base. That has been an issue for a long time...

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Vitters can't play third base. That has been an issue for a long time...

He did show improvements, but still not good. He's only moving to LF because of Olt and Baez/Bryant coming up.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
He did show improvements, but still not good. He's only moving to LF because of Olt and Baez/Bryant coming up.

His improvements got him to barely passable. Baez, Bryant, Olt might have pushed him there sooner than they might have tried otherwise, but Vitters able to handle the hot corner everyday at the big league has been in doubt for a long time.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bogu is a 4th/5th OF. No way i start him. He almost 30 has less then 500 PA in MLB for reason. HE SUCKS

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Bogu is a 4th/5th OF. No way i start him. He almost 30 has less then 500 PA in MLB for reason. HE SUCKS

Why are people set on putting bodies out in the field just to put them out there? Put guys out there that move the team forward, not lateral or backwards. At the very least, the Cubs need to replace Soriano's bat somewhere. I think the Cubs are prime for a trade this year to fill a void.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs have called on Mike Stanton (like many teams and a trade is still far-fetched) and Carlos Gonzalez. They have interest in acquiring a bat.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
My 2014 outfield would look like this:

LF Brian Bogusevic
CF Junior Lake
RF Hunter Pence

Mouth barf on watching Pence throw like a girl and twirk at the plate like he has jock itch

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Why are people set on putting bodies out in the field just to put them out there? Put guys out there that move the team forward, not lateral or backwards. At the very least, the Cubs need to replace Soriano's bat somewhere. I think the Cubs are prime for a trade this year to fill a void.

If they did not have Baez and Bryant with in 1-2 years I would agree.

Cargo makes sense. UPG to a core hitting LH over Rizzo. Pushes Rizzo down in the order.

Short term RH bat would be Cruz. I would have rather kept Sori though to play out his contract but W/E.

I would not sign a long term RH bat. They have a surplus upwelling and that would be a misuse of resource.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
he cant hit. thats the bigger issue.

I think he is a better hitter than the limited time that he has shown in the big leagues. The issue is his bat is weak for a corner outfielder or first base. He might be a decent bench guy if he can play a few spots and provide a little thunder, but beyond that the odds aren't good.

Lake Bogey and cargo would be really nice.
It would be nice while Cargo is healthy because Cargo is a stud but it is a stud surrounded by two bench guys.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I think he is a better hitter than the limited time that he has shown in the big leagues. The issue is his bat is weak for a corner outfielder or first base. He might be a decent bench guy if he can play a few spots and provide a little thunder, but beyond that the odds aren't good.

It would be nice while Cargo is healthy because Cargo is a stud but it is a stud surrounded by two bench guys.

Maybe Bryant sees the majors next year. I do expect the Cubs to make a play for CarGo.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe Bryant sees the majors next year. I do expect the Cubs to make a play for CarGo.

I don't know to be honest. I wouldn't rule otu Bryant making the big leagues next season, but all indications are this front office likes to be cautious in terms of promotion. Perhaps they are really agressive at this point with the top guys, but I wouldn't be shocked if Bryant doesn't make the bigs until 2015.