Bulls Were Going To Offer Gordon $6-7 million

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
According to Mike McGraw, the Bulls were planning on locking up Ben Gordon for $6-7 million.

Chances are, the Bulls would have tried to lock up Gordon for $6 million-$7 million per season, then made other moves to get below the luxury tax.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=305084

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

The NBA estimated the cap to be at $57.3 million this year...I've heard the financials weren't as bad as they originally thought, so it's probably a little higher than that, but using the NBA's doom and gloom figure from earlier in the year, that would make the MLE be $5.73 million.

Say Miami offers Gordon a five year MLE deal. It totals to $33.234 million. The first five years on a 6 year, 7 million per deal from the Bulls totals at $33.544 million.

So for the next 5 years, they wanted Gordon basically on an MLE deal. If you work out the state income taxes though, Gordon would have more take home money in Orlando, Miami, San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston than he would in Chicago.

If this is true, then the Bulls need to clear out their front office. The idea of offering Ben Gordon essentially the MLE is insulting. There would be no chance that he would entertain such an offer. If the Pistons didn't make their offer, Gordon would be out there with his buddy Wade next season. There are some mental midgets in that front office if they thought that they had any realistic chance of bringing Gordon back for that.

"Hey Ben...good job last season, you did so much better than in 07-08. To reward you, we're going to offer you $2-3 million less per a year than we did last year!"

J-Mart

Liked Posts:
I find this hard to believe. I mean our management can be dumb sometimes but I won't believ this. I would like to think we would offer at least 9 mil per.

JimmyBulls

Liked Posts:
Personally, I think the Bulls should be honest and say they was going to offer Gordon nuffin. When they traded for Salmons, any realistic fan knew BG7 was playing his last games with the organization. That was the decision and the results are yet to be determined.

senrad

Liked Posts:
If this is true I'm glad we didn't extend an offer.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Wow Bulls were going to offer him a deal for what the guy is actually worth, how dare they.

charity stripe

Liked Posts:
Nothing surprises me from this joke of a front office. I've never heard of any organization treating one of their most important employees for nearly have a decade in this fashion.

cool007

Liked Posts:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
Wow Bulls were going to offer him a deal for what the guy is actually worth, how dare they.

That is soooooooooo wrong in so many ways.

Gordon received basically same contract as Rip and Kevin Martin.

Gordon is basically a same type of player and he deserved it.

If that offer is true by Bulls management than I agree with P03 that that was a BIG TIME INSULT.

This is why I hate favorism. Bulls FO, love Hinrich and Deng and they didn't hesitate 1 bit offering them HUGE money but they just offered less and less every year to BG $10mil then $9mil and now about MLE kind of money.

If BG really wanted MLE, he would have signed with Miami or other contenders like Spurs/Celtics/Lakers etc. instead - atleast he would have chance to win a ring or two.

Maybe that's why BG said us fans are being cheated by the management.

Now I am hearing things like Bulls are being picky on who to go after (favoring Bosh). That just sucks. Since when beggars became Choosers??? If Boozer can be had pretty cheap right now, then go for it or go for Amare. Don't go all out for Bosh, coz it might come back and haunt us for LONG LONG time.

We have been waiting for that big low post big man for how many years now??? a decade but this mgmt never learns.

/rant

charity stripe

Liked Posts:
It still begs the question, why the hell did they draft Gordon in the first place? I went back and read some of the comments by NBA coaches before the 2004 draft, and many said he is a combo guard and some said he would be a 2 guard, and you would need to have a tall defensive minded point guard to guard the 2s. The Bulls knew all this going in. Yet they still treated him like a piece of crap during his entire tenure.

I was really hoping Ben would rip the organization to shreds after going to the Pistons, but I know he is too professional to do that.

J-Mart

Liked Posts:
Newskoolbulls wrote:

Its funny how big of a turn you are taking on Gordon. I am sure you wouldn't have said that before he signed with Detroit.

PJ Brown

Liked Posts:
If this is true, I don't blame anyone for being upset. Clearly, the team didn't really want to sign him.

I have a big problem, however, with those who throw around blame at the "front office." That offer has nothing to do with the front office; it's all on the chairman of the board.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
I believe that is all speculation. They didn't want to resign him period. They got Salmons as a temporary solution until they can get a suitable, prototype SG like a Joe Johnson to play alongside Rose. Forman said that signing back Gordon was top priority because he wanted to drive up Gordon's value with Detroit, it worked. Detroit could have gotten him for cheaper, they were bidding against themselves. 11mil is ridiculously high and 6mil is ridiculously low. Believe Bulls would not have went that low.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
I don't see how any Bulls fan can be angry that we would attempt to get a player on a bargain deal. Gordon on a cheap deal would be a wonderful asset to have for future trades.

Sure it would suck for Gordon if he had to take a cheap deal, but as a fan of the Bulls rather than the individual players, I don't see why anyone should give a crap about his wallet.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
“That could create opportunities for teams that are willing to be patient, but at the same time, you can’t really base your entire strategy around that because nothing’s guaranteed. It only takes one [interested] team to set a market for a player.

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/articles/2009/07/07/67478996/index.xml

I think the Bulls plan really was to sit back and hope Gordon didn't get an offer, and then try to get him back on some bargain bin deal (which he would never sign of course).

wjb1492

Liked Posts:
??? ?????? wrote:
“That could create opportunities for teams that are willing to be patient, but at the same time, you can’t really base your entire strategy around that because nothing’s guaranteed. It only takes one [interested] team to set a market for a player.

I think the Bulls plan really was to sit back and hope Gordon didn't get an offer, and then try to get him back on some bargain bin deal (which he would never sign of course).

I'm not sure they were even hoping he didn't get an offer. If he didn't, sure they'd get him for cheap - but I'm kind of thinking they were hoping he'd get a big offer elsewhere so they could let him walk with less backlash. The way it worked out in the end, I think they weren't too concerned about him walking.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
??? ?????? wrote:

Of course he'd sign it. What's he going to do, sit at home on the couch for a year? If Boozer opted out and Detroit signed him (as up until the last minute everyone thought was going to happen), we'd have Gordon back on a cheap deal, or something in a sign and trade.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Shakes wrote:
??? ?????? wrote:

Of course he'd sign it. What's he going to do, sit at home on the couch for a year? If Boozer opted out and Detroit signed him (as up until the last minute everyone thought was going to happen), we'd have Gordon back on a cheap deal, or something in a sign and trade.

That brings up an interesting scenario. If Detroit signed Boozer, they'd probably still pursue Gordon for similar money, but would Gordon still sign there? It's possible that Gordon signing there might have been contingent on Charlie Villanueva going there too. It all kind of seemed like a planned hatched out by childhood friends to play together on the same NBA team.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
I think there's probably a lot of talk between the players like that. Of course sometimes it backfires, ask Baron Davis about his plans to play with Elton Brand.

I would have thought that for the same money you'd stay where you are vs move elsewhere. Then again I'm lazy and hate moving. ;)