Bushrod gave up 2nd-most QB hurries of any OT in 2012

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
3rd most overall, 2nd most of any 16-game starter.

Rotoworld just cited some PFF stats in a report on some Charger scrub:

"Harris made nine starts as a 2012 UDFA, allowing ten sacks and grading out 80th-of-80 in Pro Football Focus' offensive tackle ratings. Only Jonathan Martin (47) and Jermon Bushrod (46) allowed more than Harris' 44 QB hurries -- and Martin and Bushrod both started 16 games."

linky

If anybody has a subscription to PFF's premium stats, I would be interested to hear how Bushrod's total disruptions number (instead of just hurries) ranks against other OTs for 2012 and years prior.

It's scary, and I hope this isn't the case, but this could give more credence to the theory that Bushrod was a 'system' OT whose deficiencies were covered up by a QB who excells at quick reads/releases...

EDIT:
For those who complained, I crunched some stats like a motherfuckin champ. Maybe I'll do the rest of the league's OTs tomorrow IF I'M FEELING GENEROUS

Bushrod: Caused a pass disruption on 8.64% of pass attempts (not overall snaps)
Webb: Caused a pass disruption on 8.45% of pass attempts

----when hurries+hits are weighted to 3/4th of their total, sacks kept at full value, per PFF's weird but somewhat logical idea:
Bushrod: Caused a pass disruption on 6.64% of pass attempts
Webb: Caused a pass disruption on 6.70% of pass attempts

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
so I'm guessing we shouldn't call him "Future Hall of Famer Orlando Pa-- Jermon Bushrod" yet?

Or should we?

:thinking::thinking:

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:
Who cares? That was 2012. He wont be playing in 2012 again, just like he wasn't playing in 2010 last year.

Doug Grohlin

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's too late for us! Maniacs!

planetoftheapes_zpsd203354a.jpg

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anyone with PFF sub that can look at Bushrod in 2011? 2010?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Which reality would that be?

Cause you're not gonna convince me that Bushrod is not an upgrade over Webb.

And that Slaussen isn't an upgrade over Chilo.

And that the whole OL isn't better without Carimi.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Prior to trading Gabe Carimi the Chicago Bears had the four worst pass blocking offensive tackles in the NFL for the 2012 season. In terms of total QB disruptions allowed Bushrod, Carimi, and Scott were all god awful. Webb was mediocre, but was better than the other three, this even considers the number of pass block attempts each OT faced during the 2012 season.

Incidentally Bushrod has never given up less than 30 QB pressures in a season during his career, Webb gave up 27 pressures.

Scott shouldn't be on the roster in 2013.

To summarize the two starters. Webb was bad his first two years but improved in each of them according to the metrics.

Bushrod has given up fewer sacks in his career on average per season than Webb, but has allowed an average of more pressures and more hits to the QB than Webb did last year.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What was said?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bushrod is consistent at slowing down his DE opponent. Watching his plays though, he is always slowly losing the battle. It does not surprise me he picks up hurries, because he is constantly moving backward. He is the quicksand LT.

Perhaps I will nickname him "Quicksand." He does not seem powerful enough to stop his opponent, but he is consistent and provides the QB with a clock. If you hold onto the ball and sit in the pocket, he will eventually get beat, probably sooner than Webb. But Webb will miss assingments completely or get run around leading to instant tfl and sacks. Webb is better, Bushrod is more consistent.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:

Chilo Rachal was seen as an upgrade at the start of last season, just like Slauson is now. The knock on Rachal prior to the start of last season was he could run block, but couldn't pass block.

The knock on Slauson, he can pass block, but he can't run block. If Slauson regresses in pass protection and stays the same as a run blocker, he could easily be just as bad as Rachal.

Slauson needs to improve in run blocking and stay the same as a pass protector. The slightest regression and he's a bust.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Is this when reality starts to sink in?

No. Most of knew he wasn't great. Webb has more potential and is about as good overall. The difference is consistancy. Webb just missed every now and then and Bushrod was more consistantly mediocre. With a smart OC those pressures wont become sacks or big hits and Bushrod is still learning as well. 2012 was a down year for him but it counts. We were actually going for a RT 1st but when Loadholt became LT money we went with a LT instead since Webb should be a VG RT as well.

Camden Cutler

Black Boy Fly
Liked Posts:
Is this when reality starts to sink in?

I didn't realize I said all that.

OK, then say something.

I already did.

i say jolly good show with the wits old chaps

Reactions: X