I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
He looks like he needs a lot of work on that swing to reach his ceiling. It'll be interesting to see if he can develop into the power hitter you'd expect at his size because cubs could use a big power threat
beat me to it

smith had a groundball rate this past season of about 50%. so yeah, his swing needs a lot of work still. i dont think he moves as quickly as silence is thinking

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
beat me to it

smith had a groundball rate this past season of about 50%. so yeah, his swing needs a lot of work still. i dont think he moves as quickly as silence is thinking
I dont know enough about the player to say whether he's a good or bad pick. I will say that in watching a few short clips of him, his swing is ugly and probably needs overhauled. Seems like a big project with huge upside. Hopefully it turns out well.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dont know enough about the player to say whether he's a good or bad pick. I will say that in watching a few short clips of him, his swing is ugly and probably needs overhauled. Seems like a big project with huge upside. Hopefully it turns out well.
His swing was tweaked after his freshman year. He went to Cape Cod and excelled and excelled into his sophomore year. His swing changes led him to much more contact and he has progressed greatly in chase rate. He is very strong and the Cubs see him progressing at all areas.

Cole Mathis our second round pick is interesting. Two way player but the Cubs see him as a bat.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
His swing was tweaked after his freshman year. He went to Cape Cod and excelled and excelled into his sophomore year. His swing changes led him to much more contact and he has progressed greatly in chase rate. He is very strong and the Cubs see him progressing at all areas.

Cole Mathis our second round pick is interesting. Two way player but the Cubs see him as a bat.
That swing change that led to increased contact also had the over 50% GB rate and not a ton of power from what I read though.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
That swing change that led to increased contact also had the over 50% GB rate and not a ton of power from what I read though.
It gave him an all fields approach. He hits the opposite way a lot. His power is raw power. His new swing didnt take away power. Its his raw power where his upside becomes high. He has work to do like all prospects to find a balance. We will see how the Cubs develop him.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Cubs draft has been interesting so far. Been a lot of guys who have higher upsides if they reach them. Lot of raw power guys.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
Get to know No. 14 Draft pick Cam Smith

Its a Cubs pick. College bat that should move quick. Cubs think he can stay at third. Has a big arm and a big bat.
At 14 teams are rarely going to get the complete package. The kid can run, throw, hit for average, and hit for a high OPS. Homeruns should come with time. I got no problem with this pick...worst case scenario is he ends up a rotational outfielder...

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't believe he was but the cubs have signed all but i believe 1 player last i looked and i think that was a 17th rounder